Looking For A Challenge? A Sword Art Online inspired Role Play
Virtual Reality Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games are the forefront of the entertainment world. Offering an unparalleled experience, players immerse themselves in a world where they trascend the limits of their body to face unprecedented adversity.
One day an e-mail from an anonymous sender was delivered to a number of people. The title read 'Looking For A Challenge?' and inside was an encrypted program compatible with the NerveGear system. With a plethora of questions and no answers available, there was only one way to find out the intentions of this mysterious challenger...
Welcome to my Sword Art Online themed RP. In this post, you will find information and bits of story to keep you updated with all the major events.
This RP takes place some time after the completion of the original Sword Art Online.
The game does not use the World Seed system. Virtually everything about the game is just like when it was first introduced.
Only skills that follow the style of SAO are available (meaning no magic, wings, guns, etc.)
Players can re-spawn and log out at their leisure.
Every skill in the game is available to be unlocked by everyone, meaning skills like Dual Wield are available to all players.
You are free to create, use, and explore custom content. You can view all the custom content on the wiki linked in the post further down the page.
Things like HP, stats, levels, inventory, money, and skills DO NOT NEED to be tracked. This is entirely optional.
After loading the software from the unknown sender into their NerveGear devices, players slowly began to log in to a mysterious VRMMO. With no direction or explanations given, they were free to start wandering Aincrad and start learning the game. Some found it enjoyable, others not so much, but curiosity captivated many to stay.
A few days after the players had started to become acquainted with the game, something unexpected took place - all across Aincrad, thousands of terrified screams suddenly filled the air, then were silenced just as quickly. Shortly afterward, a system announcement icon blinked in front of players everywhere, followed by a mail notification from someone by the name of Carsys. The players were told that the screams they heard were the 4,000 players who had died during the first iteration of the VRMMORPG they were playing, Sword Art Online. Carsys would go on to explain that certain data retention programs were made for recording information about players. Upon death, the minds of the fallen players were absorbed by the system, and their physical bodies were lost. Those minds now exist in a state of limbo, constantly reliving their final moments, and locked in unending torment. The 'challenge' that Carsys had posed to these new players was to complete the game as it was intended, by clearing all 100 floors. In doing so, the suffering of the fallen players would be ended.
While still learning the game in many regards, the new players banded together to accept Carsys' challenge. They managed to locate the entrance to the dungeon of Floor 1 (in doing so, they discovered that Carsys would send system-wide messages to mark dungeon entrances for all players), conquer the labyrinth, and felled the first boss, Illfang the Kobold Lord. Their victory was cut short by another notification by Carsys, who then played an audio clip for all players to hear: "A steel castle in the sky. It would be a testament to both the possible, and the impossible. We as humans wield unlimited potential, but there exist so many limits to try and cage us in. If only they could see just how high we can fly, above the mountains, above the clouds, above the stars... if only they could dream what I have dreamed... if only I could show them just far they can go..." Afterward, the gates to the next floor opened, and players were free to move on with the mysterious words lingering in their head.
Months have passed since their first victory. Through a great deal of effort, they have managed to reach the 10th floor. Shortly after their arrival, another strange occurrence took place. The displays of the players went haywire, gigantic monsters lacking textures spawned in the fields and towns, and voices could be heard crying everywhere. The oddities were quickly removed, and a message from Carsys arrived saying that it was a glitch, and not to worry. The players press onward as the mysteries continue to accumulate...
1. Be polite. I mean this in an OOC context. Disagreements will likely come up eventually, so just be civil when handling them.
2. Be fair and reasonable. Though you as a player have a great deal of control over what skills/equipment you can obtain and what actions you are capable of, keep the concept of good storytelling in mind. Characters should work hard, face adversity, and struggle to progress.
3. Write as best as you can. I'm going to assign a 'semi-lit' writing level to this RP. All I really want is for posts to be legible and interesting, length is irrelevant. As for dressing up posts with things like images, it's not required.
4. Be active. As the RP has progressed, I've had to change this rule a bit. Generally speaking, it works like this: If a person does not reply to a situation they are involved in after one day without notice, then the other person (or people) can progress without them. If a person gives notice, a maximum of three days will be allowed. This, of course, is all very much based on the circumstances. I am a reasonable person, and I like to think all the people in my RP are, so just communicate and everything should be fine.
5. Make characters reflect the story's progress. If the story has just started, then your character should be pretty basic. Likewise if the story is far along then your character should be well geared and very capable.
6. I control the main dungeon bosses. Players are free to create and control the monsters in their own encounters up to, and including, minibosses. When it reaches floor bosses such as Illfang the Kobold Lord, The Gleam Eyes, etc. then I will play their part. This is to ensure that they are handled fairly.
7. No canon characters. You cannot take on the role of characters like Kirito, Asuna, Heathcliff, or anyone featured in the SAO universe. I will allow the use of their appearance, but I will ultimately reject characters that are too similar.
More rules can be added as deemed necessary.
This section will be for rules that need to be made as situations are encountered. These rules are subject to debate. If you can present a good argument against one of these rules, then they can be changed.
- Bosses and Minibosses are immune to status ailments.
- If a player who has won a Last Attack Bonus Item from a boss goes inactive (meaning that have not posted for 1 week without prior explanation), then they will lose the item and it will be randomly given to another player. Should that player become active again later on, then the current owner of the item will decide whether they want to return it.
Here are the skeletons for making your characters. The skeleton is divided into two parts, core information and additional information. You must include the core information when sending in your profile. The additional information is entirely optional - you can have none, some, or all of it added. You can also add other sections to your additional information if you like. Send me the skeleton in a PM, and once it's approved you can post it in the character thread. Title the PM 'Challenge Aincrad' just so it's easy for me to reference please. You are free to make small edits to keep things like skills and equipment up to date. If you are making larger changes, such as changing your name, please let me know first.
[b]Appearance:[/b] (A Written description, picture, or both are fine. Please link to pictures rather than using img tags.)
The Custom Content wiki is meant to house information exclusive to this role play, as well as having links to the official Sword Art Online wiki in the relevant sections. Our wiki contains information about skills, weapons, equipment, items, monsters, locations, quests, and guilds, as well as a small guide on the front page for creating your own content. If you want to submit new content, just nudge me in the OOC thread or in a PM. We'll work out any details, and then it will go up on the wiki.
Want to help advertise the thread? Then go ahead and put a banner in your signature, or anywhere you want really! Be mindful of signature limits. I don't want anyone losing their signature because of me.
The World of Ethestria, an RP inspired by SAO, Norse Cosmology, and Vindictus. The owner warns that this RP draws some information from later light novels in the SAO series, meaning beyond where the anime has reached, so keep that in mind. More details in the thread (click the picture).