Welcome to Gaia! ::

Ghostly Leaf

A_K_A_A_S_H_I _ K_E_I_J_I

He raised a brow, trying to decide whether or not she was being facetious. But her embarrassment was too complete to be a trick and he had always had a knack for discerning the truth (or maybe he just spent too much time with bizarrely honest people). He leaned forward, tucking a hand under his chin and spinning his straw in his drink, letting the ice cubes clink against the glass.

Another teasing response popped to mind, but he pressed his lips together and tried not to smile, waiting for her to save herself.

"I love photography," he answered warmly, settling his camera on the table once more and letting his finger wind around the strap. "I'm grateful to your friend, you know. She made it possible for me to do it." It wasn't entirely true; Kiyoko was maybe only a third of his photography work, but it was significant enough. Not to mention he actually enjoyed working with her; she was professional and smart and she had far more other choices but she always came to him. With any other person, that'd be offensive, but she took her work too seriously to give him jobs out of pity.

"Tell me about yourself?" He watched her take a sip, his head tilting curiously. "Bokuto-san didn't tell me anything about you though. I think he was trying to heighten the surprise." Didn't that sound exactly like him?

Ghostly Leaf

K_A_G_E_Y_A_M_A _ T_O_B_I_O

"Who thought cavalry battles was a good idea?"

"Sorry, what did you say, Sensei?"

He glanced up, trying in vain to smooth his annoyed expression into a innocent one, but failing hard just judging from the shock that crossed the student's face. He dropped his head again, resorting to glaring at the boy's foot as he pinned down the end of the wrap. It had been a while since he did one of these, but it came back miraculously. How many times had he had to bind his own bruises?

"Nothing, nothing." He made some space, "Try it out, does it hurt?"

The boy gave an experimental roll of his ankle, before making a delighted sound. "Whoa, I don't feel anything!"

"That's just a brace, don't do anything stupid." He straightened up, arching his back to relieve the tight muscles. He had been sitting crouched for what felt like an hour, bandaging up all sorts of cuts and scrapes. Really, the cavalry battle was a ridiculous idea. Half-naked boys charging full tilt at each other, carrying each other on their shoulders. How stupid. Ten years ago he might have enjoyed it, but not anymore. It was officially off his list. "I mean," he clarified, "You shouldn't do anything strenuous for a while. Get it checked by a doctor when you go home."

"I will, thank you, Sensei!" The boy popped upright and went limping away, rejoining a group of friends waiting for him there. They burst into laughter at their friend, probably laughing at his predicament, and Kageyama softened, watching them disappear into the crowd.

Then he turned back, starting to put away his supplies. Until a voice interrupted his work and he let the bottle of painkiller pills go spilling.

"Kageyama," he supplied, regathering his things.

"Kageyama," the other guy said. Right.

"Hinata-san, I'm glad you could make it." He gave himself a quiet cheer of success for remembering his manners. "Nakaoka-sensei is sick today, did you need her—Oi! You're bleeding!" He nearly dropped the pills again, rushing over to pull him into the tent and force him onto a seat. "What happened? Does it hurt? Can you move it? Let me help." He didn't actually wait for permission, touching a damp swab to the place, brushing it gently to get rid of the dirt and dust. "Sorry," he muttered, "This isn't really—I'm not good at this kind of thing."

Instant Krill's Princess

Shoujo Lionheart

Y_A_C_H_I__ H_I_T_O_K_A

There was something about the way Akaashi proclaimed his love for photography that made her feel a little warm inside. There was a lot of sincerity in his tone, and it was not often a person got to do what they loved for a living. Tsukishima most certainly seemed to hate his job more often than not, however good he was at it. She smiled slightly, lips curling around the porcelain of her cup.

“Kiyoko-san says that you’re very good. A-and that she likes working with you.” The words tumbled from her lips as she set the glass down, and she bit her lip a moment later, trying to remember if Kiyoko had said anything else.

But the moment passed and he was then asking her about herself. “Oh! Oh. I—“ She nibbled at her lower lip feeling self-conscious. There wasn’t much to say about her. Nothing all that interesting or of note. “Um. I’m a legal secretary. C-corporate law. It’s not very interesting, I’m afraid. But it keeps me busy and I, ah, like my boss.” With another bite of her lip, she looked back down at her knees.

A few moments passed before she dared to speak again. “I-if you don’t mind me asking,” Yachi started, slightly hesitant, “What other, um, work do you do? Is it just weddings and f-for journals? Or…?” Trailing off, she reached for her glass again to take another sip of coffee.

Ghostly Leaf

His expression changed ever so slightly, regarding her with new eyes. Law had a reputation for being cutthroat and brutal, how did she manage to keep up when she could hardly even look him in the eye? He didn't mean to be rude, but he couldn't imagine her holding her own. She had said it wasn't even interesting.

Her boss must be some guy, he mused, taking another sip. Lost in his thoughts and introspections, he missed his chance to inquire further, tugged along on a new line of questioning regarding his work.

"Weddings mostly, and some outdoor photo shoots for small parties." He patted his camera again, not realizing. "Kiyoko is actually the only journalist I work with. I'm glad she seems to like me as much as I like her." He grinned at Yachi, still entertaining thoughts of her in a pantsuit surrounded by hungry shark lawyers.

But he didn't allow the silence to stretch on too long, already growing accustomed to and anticipating her anxiety in their silences. "I don't have the room yet, but otherwise I'd like to have a studio of my own. I like those best." He did have a converter space in his apartment, a room set up with Bokuto's help to make a studio of sorts. As of yet though, the only people who had seen such thing he could count on one hand. He was still trying to build up the strength to ask Oikawa to model for him.

"I could show you my work though, if you'd like to see."

The words almost surprised himself, but for some reason he felt no inclination to take them back. He sucked on air through his straw, before setting his glass down quietly. "Do you have time?"

Instant Krill's Princess

Shoujo Lionheart

H_I_N_A_T_A__S_H_O_U_Y_O_U

Hinata let himself be guided into a seat, his words, “It’s fine,” getting lost in the flurry of Kageyama’s questions.

Set atop the makeshift cot, he gave a short little hissing sound at the swab against the damaged skin. It stung more than he would have liked. Prompted by Kageyama’s apology though, he shook his head. “Ah, no, it’s fine. I wouldn’t do much better if I were in your place.” Hinata gave a short laugh and rubbed at the back of his head with his uninjured arm. “Thanks for the help.”

He grinned at the man a moment before glancing down at his elbow and blowing on the damp spot Kageyama had left. It looked a little better now, not covered in blood, but he could see the spots where the skin had been scrapped off and dirt still clung. “Does it need rubbing alcohol, you think?” He hoped the answer was no. He’d received enough scrapes and bruises when he was young to know how much that hurt.

Casting Kageyama a hopeful glance, he was disappointed to see the man already reaching for a new swab and a white bottle. Coming up with a diversionary tactic, whether to distract himself from the upcoming pain, or better yet, Kageyama from using the stuff, he found himself asking, “So are you enjoying the festival so far, Kageyama-san? Your class is doing really well.”

Waiting for a response, he fidgeted a little, bouncing his right leg up and down.

Instant Krill's Princess

Shoujo Lionheart

Y_A_C_H_I__ H_I_T_O_K_A

Yachi returned Akaashi’s grin with a small smile of her own. Kiyoko had not been wrong. Akaashi was very nice. A different sort of nice from Bokuto or Shouyou, though. More similar to Kiyoko’s gentleness, though not quite that either. The anxious, fluttery feeling in her chest was beginning to subside a little.

If she tried, she could almost imagine it, this man before her, moving around a white room filled with lights, adjusting them and snapping pictures with the camera he had held. She would have liked to see his work—or, at least, more than what she could only assume were his pieces in Kiyoko’s articles. Maybe if she did end up accompanying him to Kiyoko’s friend’s wedding, she’d get the opportunity?

“I could show you my work though, if you’d like to see.”

Quickly, Yachi looked up at him in surprise at the offer, eyes a little wide and mouth parted in a slight ‘o’. Whether Akaashi noticed, he did not let it on, and instead prompted her for a response.

Feeling heat rise to her cheeks again, she looked back down and let her fingers play with the folds of her dress. Then, she gave a small nod. “That would—I’d really like to. I-I’ve seen some, I think. I read all of Kiyoko-san’s work. But, um, if you wouldn’t mind?” She tucked some loose hair behind her ear and looked up, making another attempt to smile.

With a little hesitation, she shifted slightly, scooting closer to Akaashi and suddenly all too aware of the warmth his body radiated.

Ghostly Leaf

"I don't want your hopes to get too high. I only live in a small apartment." But he returned her smile, resting his hands flat on the table. She seemed genuinely interested in his work, which meant embarrassingly a lot to him. That explained why he was breaking down so easily.

Except then she moved a little closer, the sleeve of her summer dress brushing his arm, and he moved his chair back. "I'm going to go to the restroom for a second. Will you watch my things for me? I'll be right back."

He stood without waiting for a response, leaving his camera on the table, and sliding out from under it. Rubbing his sleeve, he wound his way through the tables, heading towards the bathroom past the counter, fishing his phone out of his pocket as he went.

There were more than one message on the screen—ten to be exact—all in varying states of nosiness. He read them all one at a time, then went back to the least obtrusive one to respond.

You going to take her?

He leaned against the sink as he replied. She seems nice. I'll think about it.

And she did. She seemed sweet and down-to-earth. And she was cute. (Very cute.) Actually far above any of Akaashi's expectations considering Bokuto was involved in this. Which...obviously had nothing to do with Bokuto and everything to do with Kiyoko, but he owed the man some credit simply because of his enthusiasm.

Setting his phone on the counter, he bent to wash his hands, studying his appearance in the reflection as he dried them with a paper towel. The reply came back while he was fixing his shirt, rolling the sleeve up again.

Take her! Take her! I have a bet with Kuroo that you'll end up Yachi-chan.

Rolling his eyes, he ignored that message and made his way back to their table. "Sorry," he apologized as he sat, this time leaving some space between them. "How did you come here? I have my car, so that might be easiest?"

Instant Krill's Princess

Shoujo Lionheart

Y_A_C_H_I__ H_I_T_O_K_A

Giving another small nod, Yachi watched as the man departed, leaving his camera and a cold spot at her side behind. After a moment, she turned back to her drink, wrapping her hands around the ceramic. Was it too much to be intruding on his space so soon after meeting him? It felt like she was imposing, but she was genuinely curious about his work.

Yachi spun the mug in a circle, searching the swirling contents of it for an answer, but finding none. The pedestrians passing by outside the window yielded none either and she pressed her lips together with concern. She had already agreed though, hadn’t she? And…and he wouldn’t have offered if he hadn’t been sincere, right?

But what if he was only being nice?

Kiyoko had said he was a nice person. And he was, or seemed to be.

Part of her wanted to send a message to the older woman to ask for advice, but she stopped herself, not wanting to bother her friend. It was one of Kiyoko’s rare days off, and she didn’t want to be a nuisance, especially after Kiyoko had gone to the effort of setting this up. Well, Kiyoko and Bokuto. But Yachi was almost afraid of what sort of response she’d get from Bokuto.

She barely noticed when Akaashi returned, startling at the sound of his voice as he apologized. “Oh, no! It’s alright. I didn’t mind.” Anxiously, she smoothed her dress out and gave a tiny smile. “Um, I took the bus. I-if your car is more convenient, we, ah, can.” Her smile wavered a moment and then she looked away and back to the remains of her drink.

What if he was a bad driver?

Taking her bag from the back of her chair, she followed Akaashi to a stand, slinging the purse over her shoulder. “S-so, ah, Akaashi-san, um, if you took your car, d-does that mean you live far from here?” She asked before she bit down on her lower lip and rubbed at the inside of her wrist with her thumb.

As they walked towards the exit, Yachi could not help but notice how long Akaashi’s strides were, though not quite as bad of Tsukishima when he was in a rush somewhere.

Ghostly Leaf

He rose as she did, pushing their seats in together. "Ah, no. I meant to go straight to work after this, but, well, plans changed." He gave her a smile, slipping his camera over his shoulder and following her towards the door.

As they left the shop, he directed her to the small black car parked against the curb, fishing keys out of his pocket and unlocking it through the passenger door. He gestured for her to wait for a second, opening it, and gathering a stack of folders to clear the seat. "Go ahead, you can sit," he gestured, moving them to the backseat and then shutting the door for her. Stepping around to the other side, he climbed in himself and buckled his seat. Dropping his camera into the cupholder between their chairs, he stuck the key into the ignition and paused a second.

"Are you okay?"

At first, he was just asking whether or not she had buckled herself in. But she was still strangely anxious around him and he wasn't sure if that was all he meant anymore. Was he really so intimidating? A furrow appeared in his brow and he cleared his throat, folding his arms over the steering wheel and looking at her sideways. "There's no need to be so nervous, Yachi-san, you're under no obligation here. I told them that I didn't need a date to a wedding I would be working at so it's fine if I go alone." He grinned, "If you didn't want to come to this date, just blame Bokuto, alright? You might be able to get a free meal out of him."

He leaned back, again grabbing hold of the key and turning it. The engine rumbled to life as he grabbed the wheel again. "Where to? I can always drop you off if something has suddenly come up that demands your attention."

Instant Krill's Princess

Shoujo Lionheart

Y_A_C_H_I__ H_I_T_O_K_A

Stepping into the car, Yachi settled her bag over her lap, feeling tiny in the space of the seat. Whoever had sat here before her either had long legs or really liked their leg room, and the back of the chair was at a large incline. Her fingers fidgeted over the straps of her bag, before reaching for the buckle with both hands, deciding not to alter the arrangement of the chair.

Slowly, she turned her head towards Akaashi and inclined her head slightly. “I’m good,” she bubbled before looking back down when she felt his eyes on her. And, as he spoke, her fingers found their way back to the strap of her purse, winding in the leather cord and rubbing it between her fingers. Oh no. Had she offended him? Did she seem like she really didn’t want to be there?

From the corner of her eye, she looked at him again, noting his smile, and she flushed again under the scrutiny. Her head lowered again and she was thankful for leaving her hair down, as it formed a curtain between her face and his expression.

“Sorry. I-it isn’t that I don’t want to,” she finally murmured, a quiet confession. “I just, ah, am bad when meeting new people. It’s why Kiyoko-san suggested that I—we—meet before.”

Biting at her lower lip, Yachi continued to play with the bag strap a moment before turning her gaze back to Akaashi. “I really would like to see your work. I-if you don’t mind. But you aren’t, um, under obligation either.” A wavering smile crossed her face a moment, and then she was back to looking at her knees.

After a moment of silence, Yachi carefully added, “B-besides. Bokuto-san would insist on all-you-can-eat barbeque.”

Ghostly Leaf

His laugh slipped out, and he stifled it by biting on a knuckle, clearing his throat and giving her a bright smile instead. "Isn't that the best kind? You can get a thirty dollar meal out of him like that." He would know, after all.

Putting the car into drive, he inched out of the stall and then pulled into traffic, flicking through radio channels and settling on something not terrible.

It was weirdly reassuring to hear it wasn't that she disliked him. Maybe not all that weird in retrospect—hadn't Akari told him she could never understand what he was thinking?—but still it had only been a minute of polite conversation before Yachi had seemed like she wanted to get out of there.

He didn't speak for a minute, resting an elbow on the window and driving in silence. But then he reached out to lower the volume of the radio, tapping his finger against the wheel and glancing at her for just a second, "Would you like to go with me? To the wedding?" He smiled, mostly to himself since he couldn't take his eyes from the road. "No obligation, but it might be fun?"

Instant Krill's Princess

Shoujo Lionheart

Y_A_C_H_I__ H_I_T_O_K_A

To Yachi’s relief, Akaashi was neither a bad nor an aggressive driver.

With some relief, she settled into her seat, relaxing into the almost comfortable silence they shared. On the radio, some song that had been popular a few years ago played, and outside, the city passed by in a rush of blues and greys and greens.

It startled her when he turned down the radio and spoke again, but not as terribly as before. “If you don’t mind having a date? I-I realize that you might be busy with your work and I, ah, wouldn’t want to get in the way?” She brought her hand to her neck and rubbed at the side of it a little awkwardly.

“I think it would be nice, if-if not fun.” Another blush formed at that admission and Yachi lowered her hand. “I, ah, I like seeing a couple on one of their happiest days. A-and Kiyoko-san’s friends seem live they deserve to be.” She’d only seen pictures of the couple in passing, but they seemed to really love one another and, for some reason, it made her happy that they had found one another.

Giving Akaashi a thoughtful look for a second, she asked, “Do you know the couple, Akaashi-san?”

Ghostly Leaf

Something about how easily she said such a corny line was almost refreshing. Cute, in the sweet and sincere way he was beginning to associate with the girl. He smiled to himself, settling back in his seat, rolling down the window with a finger to let cool air rush in.

"If you're that worried about being in the way, you can be my assistant," he replied, teasing though he kept his expression straight, "I'm not very good at making children smile on cue."

Was it strange that he was now looking forward to the wedding? Maybe Bokuto was right, maybe a date had been a good idea. Or maybe it was Yachi herself who deserved all the credit.

He ran a finger over his lips before he spoke, making a thoughtful noise in the back of his throat. "Sawamura-san is a regular at the bar where I work and I see him often. Occasionally Sugawara-san comes by with him." He wasn't sure what their relationship was really. Sawamura was cordial with him and Sugawara friendly and warm, as he was with everybody. Still, when they had asked him to handle the photography in their wedding he had been more than happy to oblige, even willing to do it at no cost. Friends, probably.

The light turned green and he turned onto a quieter street, climbing up an incline as the neighborhood grew a little more residential. "They do," he said, once the road even out again, "They do deserve to be happy. The wedding is still a couple weeks off, maybe you can meet them before then and I'll introduce you." Another jest tilted his tone, "If you need more preliminary exposure to me, you can always visit the bar."

Instant Krill's Princess

Shoujo Lionheart

Y_A_C_H_I__ H_I_T_O_K_A

She would not have expected Akaashi to work at a bar in addition to the photography. But then, it made some sense, she thought, running her fingers over her knuckles. Full or part-time work to supplement the on and off jobs he must have received as a photographer. After all, it wasn’t as if people were getting married every day, and he had said his work was mostly weddings.

“Oh! I-I wouldn’t want to inconvenience you,” she began to say at his offer of introduction to the happy couple, only to stop at his second suggestion.

Visit the bar?

She really couldn’t.

She could barely get through half a chuhai before she was out like a light.

But…it might be nice seeing Akaashi more. She liked him, even if she kept stumbling over her words around him.

But alcohol.

Yachi wiggled in her seat a little before looking up at the man, whose eyes were still thankfully on the road. “Ah, um, w-would it have to be at the bar?” The question came out in a rush of air and she almost regretted it. What if he said no? What if he didn’t want to?

Quickly, she looked back down and tugged at the lobe of her ear, fiddling with the earring there. “Th-that is, only if you would like. I’m sure you’re busy and…and I’m glad you already made time for me today, e-even if only as a favour for Bokuto-san.”

Ghostly Leaf

He slowed once they reached a two story apartment, on the rundown side, with only three rooms on each floor. Backing into his stall, he put the car into park and killed the engine, pausing with one hand on his buckle. "'Would it have to be at the bar?'" he echoed dubiously, raising a slender brow.

Were bars uncomfortable for her? He could see that without any significant stretch of the imagination, now that he considered her in her light sundress and all. Or maybe she had by some miracle met everyone in his life sans Akaashi himself prior to this, and had a thing against Kuroo Tetsurou. Equally possible, he thought with amusement.

It were her other words that made the smile dry on his lips and he didn't respond, not immediately. She was almost too polite and considerate. Was he giving the impression of forcing himself? Is that why she was so nervous still? Unbuckling his seat and pushing open his door, he slid out, grabbing his camera and slipping it into the pocket of his jacket. He waited for her to follow, leading the way up the steps around the side of the building to the second floor.

Only when they reached the second floor and he stopped at the first door did he speak again, sticking the key into the lock and jiggling it around. "Yachi-san, I would like to get to know you better. I should have time this weekend if you want to meet somewhere else, but you're not forcing me."

It wasn't a lie.

But it wasn't exactly what he had wanted to say. He wasn't like Kuroo who could play the flirtatious card, or Bokuto whose sincerity was his most charming point. Maybe he was just a coward. Slipping off his shoes, he held the door open for her and gestured her inside, careful not to let anything show on his face. So he smiled instead, putting on a pleasant face like he usually did, "It's a typical bachelor's pad, so excuse the mess. Do you want something to drink? Or anything?"

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff