Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anxious Dabbler

Dream a Little Dream
Dream a Little Dream

Most people are not aware of just how miraculous dreams really are. When we dream, we are given a blank canvas and allowed to fill every inch and every corner with unique representations of our own thoughts, feelings and memories. We create vivid, imaginative mirror-images of our true selves, and we don't even have to try.

Recently, a small number of individuals discovered a new dimension of dreaming. They discovered an entire, self-contained world of that special blank canvas, one that molds itself to reflect their minds just as easily as any late-night trip into their subconscious, but much more lushly and tangibly than ever before. Not only that, but with enough enough time spent there they can learn to enter and leave that world at will.

What remains to be seen is how many of them will choose to leave reality behind.

IC OOC PT
ICOOCPT

Anxious Dabbler

ruies
Rules

1. Follow Gaia's TOS
2. Be courteous and respectful to your fellow players.
3. Write at least one meaty paragraph of useful content each post.
4. Romance is fine, but explicit content is not permitted in the forums.
5. Send your character profiles to me.
6. Have fun!

space

Anxious Dabbler

worid
World

Please read this section before creating your characters.

Important things to note about the dream world and how it functions:

1. Characters do not control their surroundings so much as their surroundings react to their subconscious, their imagination and their will. This process does not involve any conscious effort on the character's part, and in fact there may be times when conscious effort only confuses their true intent and causes unexpected reactions in the world around them.
2. If a character spends a great deal of time in a particular area, that area will shape itself accordingly. Over time they can build houses, mansions, castles, even cities of their own - and not only that, their subconscious can sometimes fill that space with bits of their own psyche represented by living creatures. These creatures act as "NPCs", with no real mind or consciousness of their own, more as caricatures of some aspect of their creator than characters in their own right.
3. It is important to keep in mind that everyone is different, not just in terms of how the dream world reacts to your characters, but in terms of how they react to it. None of the characters will automatically understand the aspects of the dream world I have just stated. Everyone will have their own interpretation of what is going on. Not only that, but there is an inescapable honesty that comes with having your psyche painted around you that not everyone will be thrilled or comfortable with. It's important to keep these ideas in mind so as to keep things from becoming too formulaic and repetitive.

space

Anxious Dabbler

Profiie

You can view accepted character profiles in the profile thread. Any sections under "Appearance" that are not unusual enough to warrant their own description can be removed. Notable differences in things like nose or ears, or the presence of things like horns or fins along the spine, can be described under "Skin". This site provides a good list of colors - and remember, using the name doesn't work. You have to use the hex code, the collection of numbers and letters in the first column to the right of the color samples.

[color=color1][b]Username:[/b]
[b]Name:[/b]
[color=color2][i]-Waking:[/i][/color]
[color=color2][i]-Dreaming:[/i][/color]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Sex:[/b]
[b]Appearance:[/b]
[color=color2][i]-Hair:[/i][/color]
[color=color2][i]-Eyes:[/i][/color]
[color=color2][i]-Skin Tone:[/i][/color]
[color=color2][i]-Height:[/i][/color]
[color=color2][i]-Frame Type:[/i][/color]
[color=color2][i]-Clothing:[/i][/color]
[b]Dream Form:[/b]
[color=color2][i]-Hair:[/i][/color]
[color=color2][i]-Eyes:[/i][/color]
[color=color2][i]-Skin:[/i][/color]
[color=color2][i]-Height:[/i][/color]
[color=color2][i]-Frame Type:[/i][/color]
[color=color2][i]-Weight:[/i][/color]
[color=color2][i]-Arms:[/i][/color]
[color=color2][i]-Legs:[/i][/color]
[color=color2][i]-Torso:[/i][/color]
[color=color2][i]-Other Limbs:[/i][/color]
[color=color2][i]-Clothing:[/i][/color]
[color=color2][i]-Advantages:[/i][/color]
[color=color2][i]-Disadvantages:[/i][/color]
[b]Personality:[/b]
[b]History:[/b]
[color=color2][i]-Dreaming:[/i][/color] [/color]

space

Anxious Dabbler

reserved
Reserved

space

Anxious Dabbler

Annette's days were all the same. Wake up, go to the bakery, work until evening, go home. In a way she appreciated the monotony; lack of excitement was safe, if not particularly satisfying. But that was alright too. She had better things to occupy her, better things to entertain her and to fulfill her, than most people could even imagine.

Because when Annette lay down to sleep at night and closed her eyes, she Dreamed.

{Annette - Anemone}

Annette's eyes close. Anemone's eyes open. She is standing in a field of waist-high grass, stretching off into the distance, nestled between what might be a forest off in one direction, and a sea in the other. She smiles and lowers her goggles over her eyes, beats her wings, creating a whirl of pink at her back, and leaps into the air. Up and up and up she climbs, as fast as her wings will carry her - and that is impressively fast, especially given their delicate appearance. She is high among the clouds now, the wind tearing at her hair and clothes, and for a long moment she hovers, looking up at the sky, letting the feeling of hanging in the air fill her with delight. Then she casts her gaze downward, examining the landscape, looking for something eye-catching to investigate. She can see the probably-a-forest a spot of blue near its center that is probably a lake, and wonders excitedly if there's anything weird or unique about it - and knowing this place, there probably is.

She spots something else in the forest, too, a sort of inky smudge against the green. She grins, claps her hands and says "Ooh, interesting!" She folds her wings and dives for it, only slowing her descent when she begins to near the trees. She darts down between the thick boughs, not minding at all as the twigs and branches scrape across her skin, knowing they will not break it. She aims not for the dark smudge itself but for the trees nearby, wanting a slightly closer look before she goes charging in.

As usual she preferrs to stay in the air, fluttering from tree to tree and gazing intently at the darkened area, looking for any sign of what it might be. As she draws closer she begins to see that the dark shapes are buildings, unusually shadowy, and isn't certain of how to feel about that. But she doesn't see any people, so she darts over to the very abrupt edge of the area and settles on the dark cobbled street, examining her surroundings as she slowly walks further in. Something about the buildings and the streets is odd, but at the moment her gaze is darting around too fast to really register what exactly it was. She tilts her head, finding that she is rather fascinated after all, and calls out softly but very brightly and amiably, "Hello~! Is anyone here?"

Hallowed Knight

She didn't know what to think. Even with her most lucid of dreams, they just couldn't match up to the complete tangibility of where she was now. She felt awake, yet she knew herself to be asleep. She even pinched herself a couple of times, feeling the slight stings of pain. There was just no way this could have been "real." Yet here she was again, at least a month or so after first stepping through a window from one of her own subconsciously built worlds.

And she didn't know what to think at first.

The first time, she had been amazed, awed at what she found. It was like the waking world, yet it was nothing like it. Awake while being asleep, like stepping into a fantasy world when you lose yourself within a book. But it didn't fade, or change, or go away. It stayed, it lived, it breathed. And she had fled from it the first time. From the fear that it was just too good to have been true, that nothing as wonderful could have existed and would just crumble and turn into dust and ash around her. Yet, here she was again. Nothing crumbled, nothing fell into a fog or just faded to nothing but a hazy memory as she'd wake up. She was here. And she was awake.

Alice had "awoken" laying on the cobbled streets inside a strange, silent town within a verdant forest. She laid there for several minutes. And it wasn't obscure, undefined minutes. It was actual minutes. She studied the sky above through the canopy of the trees, the branches and boughs moving and whispering from the breeze that passed through them. A constant, quiet hush that served as a peaceful background noise as white clouds high above crawled slowly and lazily though a bright, endless blue sky. She could smell the trees, she wasn't well versed in all the types of trees, but she knew what she smelled. She could actually smell here.

She ran her hands, her fingers along the road she was on, feeling the worn, smooth stone beneath her fingertips, cool to the touch. Her hand brushes against something solid, yet light as it was pushed by her touch. She tilted her head to see what it was, and was met with a dark wooden re-curve bow, already strung and taught. She lifted her hand and grabbed it around the grip, pulling it to herself taking comfort with it in hand. She didn't know why, but she knew it to her hers. And then, she remembered her quiver, and her other two knives and where they were. How did she know without having seen? No, no. She could ponder that later.

Finally, she could lay there no longer and had to see around herself. Slowly, she sat up her back felt stiff from laying on a cobbled road for however long, but rather than be upset with it, she marveled at her actually feeling sore. She stretched her back, pulling her arms up to the air to stretch them out as she turned her head slowly around to observe her surroundings. She already knew she was in a town of sorts. She could see the tops of the buildings within her peripheral vision, but she was taking things in one at a time should she overwhelm herself. It was a beautiful town, in a way. But like how one would appreciate the beauty of, a sword comes to mind. It's a lovely weapon, yet you know it to be dangerous and should handle it with care. She found herself comparing this town to that. The town was like a ruin that nature was already working to overcome and take back within itself. Yet, it also looked as if the town itself was trying to take nature into itself. Some buildings looked to have grown right up out of the ground, bearing bark instead of brick or mortar or clay.

But there was also the darkness about it. The "danger." It wasn't as though the color had been drained from her surroundings, but despite it being day time, which it very much was, everything was cast within darkness; shaded as though it were nighttime. She started to feel that she should perhaps start making her way out before things would take a more nightmarish turn for the worst as dreams generally tend to do when you wander into the darkened areas.

She stood up slowly, carefully. She felt no eyes on here, but didn't want to run the chance that her movements would draw any unwanted attention. What if there were... things within the buildings? Suddenly, a voice called out. It was a sharp contrast to the "moody" looking town of shadows and growth. It sounded friendly to Alice. Her head had automatically whipped around as she spun on her boot heel, the dark green cloak whipping about, hood flopping as her arrows rattle in their side quiver, her earlier caution forgotten. She peered up the street, looking for the source of the voice. She wasn't alone? There was somebody else?

A tickle in the back of her mind. Ignored, unnoticed in light of the possible presence of another. Friend. Foe?

The direction she looked in seemed lighter, brighter and "welcoming" compared to her surroundings. She turned her head back to look up the road leading further into the town and it only got darker from there. She turned her back on the deeper darker parts of the town and decided to chance the decidedly less ominous direction and unseen individual was much more interesting and in need of her immediate attention. So, she started to jog out away from the darker, deeper parts of the town, calling out herself.

"Hey!!!"

Anxious Dabbler

Anemone perked up at the sound of someone calling back to her, and immediately flew toward the sound at breakneck speed. She saw a girl dressed like something from a fantasy novel, and it was kind of silly but kind of cool. She didn't waste any time, stopping maybe two feet away from the girl and darting from side to side, examining her almost too quickly to actually perceive what she was looking at and talking incessantly. Hi! Hello! Who are you? What's your name? I'm Anemone! You can call me An, or Nem, or Mon - that would be funny, wouldn't it?" She giggled briefly, then launched back into her tirade. "Or whatever you like! Is that a bow? Can you shoot it? Are you really really good? You're a Dreamer right? Not a native. I can tell. Do you wanna play a game?"

Finally she stopped to take a breath and looked at the girl expectantly, her pink eyes wide and excited, her wings still a pink blur in the air as she hovered. She still bobbed and swayed from side to side, seemingly completely unable to hold still, but the manic, frenetic energy of just moments ago had apparently cooled to a more manageable level of jitteriness. She was grinning widely, clearly set on making a new friend.

Tiny Magician

29,525 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Timid 100
When she says her job is stressful, folks usually assume she's a doctor or a lawyer or one of those stock broker types. Who would guess that architecture would keep her up at night? Amy would have been the last person to think that her chosen profession was anything except delightful. Still, there she was cozy under the comforters, cat purring at her feet, clock stating distinctly two am, thinking 'How am I going to get it all done tomorrow?' She needed sleep! She was never going to get it all done if she was exhausted in the morning. Amy took a deep breath closed her eyes and softly said, "My name is,"

"Hunter." He was always so calm when he woke up. Calm, but with the vague impression that something was amiss. He was on a sidewalk in a concrete jungle sort of city. It was dim, just between day and night. The lights were on, their warm tones cutting through the dim blue like a sickness hovering at the edge. He started walking and ran a hand through his hair, taking it all in. There was the smell of cement after a rain in the air. He wondered if there was a name for that. There were a few cars lining the sidewalk, though no people in sight. As he stepped around an old Chevrolet Camero his eyes caught sight of the horizon. There was a growing red there. Not the warm reds of sunset, but sharp and mechanical like lights on a strip. It was growing- no, it was getting closer. "Aw-" he cursed.

That light signaled that 'they' were coming. They were always in a truck, there was always a group of them and they were all toting shotguns. Frantically he pulled at the Chevy's door and when it wouldn't open, he found a pipe from a discarded plumbing project by one of the buildings and busted the window. "Don't be the yellow truck," he murmured softly as he hot-wired the car. They were just on the horizon when he heard the hum of the motor. "The red truck," he smiled at the rear view as he put his foot on the gas pedal and peeled out onto the road.

The car wove through streets and corridors, that truck remaining a constant presence in the mirror. The streets changed, pavement giving way to historic stone. Up ahead, in the middle of the street was a woman and what appeared to be a fairy. Again Hunter cursed as he slammed on the break. The back wheels drifted and he skidded sideways. It stopped only a foot away from Anemone and Alice. Hunter called out the busted window, "What are you doing in the road?!" He then shook his head and called, "No time, get in! We need to find a bridge."

Distinct Lunatic

The shouted inquiries, the roaring engines, the squealing breaks, so much noise in this jungle, so much action.

The edge of this darkly hued realm shoots away further into the forest Anemone had come from, the normal tree's vanishing as is a curtain is drawn back, revealing more and more buildings and warped tree's and roads, the cobblestone path giving way to woven roots. As the outside Dreamworld is pushed away, the city further in seems to light up, shop signs, street sighs, traffic lights, windows, all manner of things as new 'life' seems to gradually creep into the environment around the trio.

The sound of the pursuing truck is lost in the silence of the looming city as the Camaro's engine dies without action, the car falling lifeless as moss sprouts across the tires and up the fenders.

A butterfly from the forest outside cross the border and alights on Alice's shoulder, wings now of spun glass, framed by fine wires, spindly metal twigs on miniscule hinges passing for it's legs as it sits there, uncaring for the previously loud motor vehicle or it's shouting occupant.

The air grows still yet stirred, the way only found in cities, the smells of fast food and fossil fuels mingling with fresh rain, cool stone and damp moss smells. The City knows they're there.

Hallowed Knight

It was sort of mentioned somewhere by somebody about how butterflies were some kinda heralds of chaos. Or made as an example like how one beating it's wings on one side of the planet will lead to a hurricane on the other side of the world. Small actions, however small set things into motion that lead to a much larger outcome and other philosophic sounding things. Never would have Alice guessed the sheer levels of chaos and actions riding towards her on the blurred wings of an overly excited, preteen girl who was quite suddenly in her personal space and throwing questions a mile a minute.

Alice stared out from under her hood, leaning slightly back from the very exuberant younger... girl? Fairy? Fairy girl? She was much too big to be a fairy, yet she looked just like one. Or, as like one as she would think a fairy to look. Yet here she was, hovering in her face finally being silent, expectant of her answering the questions most of which Alice was still trying to cobble answers together for. Right now, the looming town was forgotten in light of this optimistic bright spot.

"Uh.... H-hi? I'm.... Alice. It's.. nice to meet you to?"

She looked down away from the wide, bright eyes to look at the bow as the fairy girl, Anemone pointed it out. She was about to answer but paused, finding it almost strange that she did indeed know the answer, despite ever even having drawn the string let alone knocked an arrow to the string.

"...I.. I guess I am good with it. I'm.. not any Robin Hood, but I'm better than average I guess."

The last question caught her off guard and she looked back into the bright eye'd An's face. A Dreamer? Not a native? Questions started to bubble tot he surface of her mind then. Was this fairy not a conjured... one of those people without a face who milled in the background or helped you along a nightmare, or was the one who came after you. There was more to this girl, she was defined. Intelligent and much, much to perky and happy for something her subconscious mind to conjure up. She was real?

And then it was dark. Darker than it had been before, as though the sun had rapidly made it's decent from the sky to herald in the coming evening. The naturalistic town... no, it was no longer a town but a city started to come to life. Street lamps started lighting up down the boulevard, orange and yellow lights that did little to chase away the darkness but only added to it's dark tone. The smooth cobblestones below their feet, grounded and otherwise was now asphalt that mingled into the flat roots of a great tree.

The world changes. Be wary.

Alice wasn't looking at An anymore but around as the town "grew" into a city around them with windows and lights, and shops. The earlier breeze that blew through the boughs of the high trees was gone, the scent of the forest beyond replaced by chemicals and fast foodstuff. She looked across the street into the window of a shop front and saw her reflection looking back at her with an expression of concern.

"...What's.. what's going on?"

The silent was broken by a growing sound, one that was unmistakable. The roaring of an engine growing louder and closer with each passing moment, the "Stall" or whatever it was called when the gears were shifted and the roaring began anew. Suddenly, as suddenly as the fairy girl An flying at her face, an old Camero turned out onto their street with a squeal of breaking tires and was baring down on them. Alice took a sudden step back hands lifting up and moving out to grab the girl from the air to pull her away as the car braked.The tires screamed across asphalt as the front of the car dipped low before drifting sidelong at them and coming to a stop not two feet away.

The once roaring car was now a ruin as moss grew up around the now long dead vehicle, a man, probably not that much older than she, was sitting behind the wheel, yelling for them to get in. She didn't notice the glass and wire insect that alighted on her shoulder, only starting out at the new face and still more or less stunned by the suddenness of everything that was going on.

".....This is the weirdest dream ever..."

Anxious Dabbler

Anemone continued swaying and bobbing as the girl slowly answered her questions, one by one. Her name was Alice. Alice was pretty, and she was interesting, and she seemed nice enough so far. Anemone liked her, probably. She was about to repeat her offer of a game, but the conversation was interrupted by a sudden change in their surroundings. Suddenly the buildings and roads around them were growing, expanding, becoming more finely detailed. Before long it was much more like a real city, with all the sights and sounds and smells. It even had a city vibe to it. Anemone spun in place, looking at as many things as she could all at once, and after a minute she stopped and grinned and tapped her chin, wondering, "Oooh, do you think there's a burger place around here? That sounds delicious!"

Before Alice had the chance to answer, though, Anemone heard and then spotted a car speeding toward them. Anemone tilted her head, not terribly worried until the car started getting a little bit too close, and Alice grabbed her arm, obviously alarmed. Anemone seemed to shift, growing a little taller, a little bigger, her face a little less childlike. She reached over and wrapped her arms around the other girl, then raised in the air a little, pulling her so her feet no longer touched the ground. She was about to fly them away when the driver hit the brakes, the car skidding and screeching to a halt just in time. Her relief was immediate and she set Alice back down, shrinking back to her former size and age, craning her neck and gazing at the man inside the vehicle in interest. When he yelled at them to come inside she cocked her head, looking at him curiously, and said "Why?"

But she was distracted when she caught sight of something moving out of the corner of her eye and looked to find a little glass-and-wire butterfly settled on Alice's shoulder. She leaned in to examine it with an "Ooooh, pretty!"

Tiny Magician

29,525 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Timid 100
So suddenly, fluidly, eerily, the old engine died. A moment of panic washed over Hunter as he slid to a side and checked under the wheel. His hand pulled back as he felt something wet and was relieved to realize it was just moss. He sat back up and squinted as he looked out into the mass of city life and unyielding nature. Really, he wasn't sure if he should have been relieved or concerned that the men with the guns had disappeared. They had to be just out of view, around a corner, somewhere.

Hesitantly he opened the car door. Or, rather, he attempted to open the door. It had jammed and needed some convincing before it finally creaked open far enough for him to squeak out of it.

Once he was out, he took a moment to look over the girls. Hunter nodded, clapped his hands together and asked, "So, where are you headed tonight?"

Hallowed Knight

When Alice had tried to pull An to safety at the car that was baring down on them, it was the fairy girl who was suddenly in the position of doing the saving, growing up within the blink of and eyes and started taking Alice up into the air. It was a very short lived flight as the care broke down and aged before it could strike them. But as she said upon touching back down, it was the weirdest dream she'd ever have. And the most vivid as well.

There was no way she was getting into that moss covered old thing, as well. There wasn't a point to it now. That was when she noticed the butterfly on her shoulder as An gravitated towards it to marvel at the delicate looking creature. She to turned her head to examine the thing which seemed to totally not care about what going on.

The wrenching, creaking sound of the man extracting himself from the old car drew her attention back to him as he got over the previous, hasty "get in the car" to just complete causality.

"Uhh..I... I think we were going to play a game?"

She quickly turned her head to An to confirm this, but turned it back swiftly enough it could have probably given her whiplash.

"Oh, wait, what is your name! This is Anemone and I'm Alice. The both of us just met before you almost ran us over so we are.. all new faces here I guess."

Anxious Dabbler

Anemone looked back at the man again as he spoke. At his question she tilted her head again and glanced at Alice, who hesitantly answered and looked to her for confirmation. Anemone grinned at the archer and said "Yes! Yes indeed we were." She was pleased Alice had agreed, and so announced "That's right! Alice and I already made friends. Do you wanna be our friend too?" She darted closer to him, still wearing that wide, sunny smile, her pink eyes wide and bright with excitement.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff