Welcome to Gaia! ::

Tipsy Pieslinger

((A quick note; I wasn't sure whether to put this in here or the specific academy section of Barton Town. I chose here, because it is series related, and based on a Japanese video game for the PSP that was never released in English.))

Hope's Peak DESPAIR Academy
Profiles Thread // OOC Thread
User Image

That huge school building was built on a prime plot of real estate in the very center of the city, as if it was the center of the world itself. It is a super-exclusive academy, officially recognized by the government, aspiring to gather and cultivate high school students excelling in their respective academic fields. General opinion is that graduating this school leads to certain success in life.

It is a school with several hundred years of history, legendary for sending its top students into leading roles in every professional field time after time. Its stated goal is to raise this nation's "hope" that will bear the country's future on their shoulders. Accordingly, some people call this remarkable place the "Academy of Hope". In recent years, they've even been expanding to include students from other nations, in an attempt to become an international symbol of hope.

User Image

To be accepted as a student, there are two qualifications:
-"You must be currently enrolled at a high school"
-"You must super-excel at your field of expertise"

The school doesn't advertise for new students. To be accepted one must be scouted and invited by the school itself.

This year, they decided to accept one student chosen by lottery from among each and every one of the country's regular high school students. This student will be invited to attend the school as a person possessing "Super High School Level Good Luck".

Except, something has gone wrong. The school has been completely sealed off from the outside world. What could be happening?
User Image
Despair Academy

This role play is based off of a video game called Dangan Ronpa; Academy of Hope and High School Students of Despair, which is for the PSP and sadly never given an English counterpart. Fortunately, one dedicated fan has been creating a translated Let's Play, which can be viewed on the Something Awful forums here. I cannot recommend following this link strongly enough. Good news; the story, after roughly a whole damn year with this guy working on it, is finally completed! The bad news; Something Awful sometimes locks out anyone who doesn't have an account, which cost at least $10 USD to obtain. Fortunately, these lockouts are never permanent. Because I have an account, I can't accurately say when the pay wall, as it's known, is up or down.

Tipsy Pieslinger

User ImageUser Image
Mono-Rules
User Image

Each student has been issued a handy-dandy Electronic Student ID card! Along with the student's name displayed upon start up, each card also includes a nifty map of the school (only displays floors currently open, but as soon as a new floor is available, the map will be updated upon an individual student's first steps on that floor), a list of their fellow classmates (including their Super High School Level title), and, what is sure to be the most used function, a super-helpful Rule Book! Please keep in mind that, while the rules are few, Headmaster Monokuma usually operates under a Zero Tolerance policy, and that there are security cameras in every room. He will know if any of you bastards break a rule, and he'll be ready to delivery swift, severe bodily punishment. So it would be a good idea to familiarize yourselves with the following list!

1. The students will live a communal lifestyle with no time limit inside the school walls.

2. The time between 10pm and 7am is called "Night Time". During Night Time there are places that are forbidden to enter, so please take care.

3. Sleeping is only permitted in the personal rooms prepared for you in the dormitory area. Anyone intentionally falling asleep elsewhere will be punished.

4. You may investigate the school as you please. There are no special restrictions on your actions.

5. No violence is permitted against the school’s headmaster, Monokuma. Destruction of the surveillance cameras is forbidden.

6. A "culprit" who kills a fellow student will graduate the school. However, they must not let any other student know they are the culprit.

7. Additional rules may be added by the school at any time.

Tipsy Pieslinger

General Role Play Rules

1.) While there should be no need to say it, follow all the Gaia Online rules and ToS. Failing to do this is a game breaker, ladies and gentlemen. I, for one, wouldn't want to see something bad happen because of some silly rule breaking. Would you?

2.) All character applications should be sent in a PM to me, following the guide below. Title it after your character's title, and their name. Like, if you want to be the Lucky student, then title the PM "Super High School Level Good Luck, Makoto Naegi" or whatever you name your character. (See rule 16)

3.) Absolutely no god modding. This is another rule that should be able to go unsaid, but unfortunately always seems to be an issue.
--God modding includes things like auto hitting, where you say your character lands an attack, without giving the other guy a chance to react. For example, "Sakura punches Naruto right in his stupid face," is god modding. A better way to put it would be, "Sakura threw a punch right for Naruto's stupid face." This gives the other player a chance to dodge, or take the hit, or in some other way react. Of course, if you talk to the other player beforehand, and get permission, than the first example is perfectly acceptable.
--Also included is writing someone's reaction for them, even if it's a group reaction. For example, to go back to the fighting thing from before, even if you get permission to land the hit, "Sakura punches Naruto right in his stupid face, sending him flying back into a tree," is still god modding. Let the other player say if he goes flying way the hell back, gets knocked out entirely, falls down, or just staggers back a step or two. This, again, can be worked out OOC, but it is still better to leave the reaction up to the other player. You can't be the only one writing, yeah? This isn't a fanfic, it's a role play. Similarly, if you write something like, "The beautiful Super High School Level Plus Sized Model strut into the room, commanding the immediate attention of everyone present," is still a form of god modding. Give us a reason to look at you. Slam the door, make a "harumph" noise, hell, maybe even give your character high heels that clack loudly whenever they take a step. This just goes back to the idea that other characters reactions aren't yours to write.
--God is also omniscient, and guess what? You aren't. Your character can't just magically know something is happening, or has happened, if they aren't present for it. This also includes diverting your character for no other reason than "stuff is happening over there." It's one thing if you hear a crash coming from the cafeteria. It's another thing if your character is headed to the cafeteria from the dorms, then suddenly decides to go to the gymnasium where a few of the others are having a conversation. Use common sense for this one, folks. Only Monokuma knows everything that happens in the school.

4.) Woo, that sure seemed to include a lot of fighting, didn't it? As it stands, if there is any sort of fighting, we'll do it on more of an honors system. No rolling dice, or trying to out-type your opponent. If they happen to attack you with a knife stolen from the kitchen, don't just magically pull out a pocket knife you've never mentioned before. Try to keep things realistic. If your character is a baseball player, then it stands to reason that he or she will hit harder than, say, a swimmer. Similarly, if your character is a pop star, then they'll need to use their brains more than brawn to win. If I think someone is being unfair, I will stand as a mediator. If need be, things can be planned out OOC. But you guys won't have any need to get into fights, right?

5.) This will be a Semi-Lit to Lit role play. No script format, all prose here (meaning dialogue needs to go in quotation marks, no *actions*, ect.). At least a paragraph of writing per post would be nice, a paragraph being three to five sentences on average. Less can be tolerated, but please don't make a habit of it. More is more than welcome. The more you write, the more people have to react to, the more they can write back. I don't expect or want novels, though, so don't go too nutty on me.

6.) I'm going to limit you all to two characters a player at the most, although keeping it to one is recommended.

7.) There actually will be some semblance of a story and plot going on here, so from time to time I'll be playing a more Dungeon Master type role. All of these posts will be in red text, and as such, I ask you not to use any red in your own posts.

8.) Don't recognize the game this is from? Good, that's the idea! I'll reveal everything when it becomes relevant to do so, but for now, I'm hoping to keep you in the dark. Don't worry, it will only effect things as they happen in the role play, and there won't be any revelations that will make you have to retcon anything about your character.

9.) Do recognize the game this is based on? Well, shoot me a PM with the video game's name as the title. I haven't actually played this, I'm just following a Let's Play, which has yet to be completed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. And, maybe we can work out something a little extra fun for everyone. Oh, and for goodness' sake, no spoilers!

10.) Posting styles; don't go crazy. A picture and different colored text should be just fine, so long as the picture isn't too huge and the text isn't red, or too light a color that makes it hard to see against Gaia's white background. Also, text size I'm limiting to the base text size. Exceptions can be made if a student is whispering exceptionally quietly, or screaming exceptionally loudly, but for the most part, that little size button at the top there should go unpressed. Heck, if you don't want to use a picture in your post, this is also fine. If you don't want any color, okay! I don't care. Just don't give me a post that's 75% style and 25% role playing. That's bullshit.

11.) Swearing. I don't particularly care. I'm only restricting the ever loving F-Bomb. I ask you don't cuss excessively, as these are high school students, but these are high school students, so a few curses here and there are to be expected. You don't have to censor it or anything, Gaia will take care of that for those that haven't changed their swear filters.

12.) The map. This is going to be more dynamic, and things will move around and change as the role play goes on. Doors will be unlocked, floors will be opened up. Or not! It all depends on you guys.

13.) I will add and edit rules as I see fit. Each of these additions will come with an announcement in the OOC thread.

14.) For the sake of keeping things concise and easily understandable, everyone will include a "Location" tag in their post. Before text, after text, doesn't matter, so long as you've got "Location: x" somewhere visible and separate from the role playing itself. If you're in one of the rooms, that's easy enough, but in the halls try to be a little specific. Example, "Locaton: Hallway - from Entrance Hall to Dorm Rooms"

15.) The Murder Rule. How this happens depends more on the players and characters than it does me. For this first murder, we're going to have everything out in the open. Everything from the planning stages (if any planning actually goes into it) to the actual carrying out of the crime, down to the attempts at coverup, will all be played out in role play thread itself. Yes, there's a risk for god modding and metagaming this way, but for the most part I trust everyone here so far. The second murder, if and when we get to it, I'll swap it up with something else, but I'll save those details for after we get past the first. Suffice to say, I'll be attempting a shot at keeping the crime a bit more secret.

16.) If you're just finding this role play now, and want to join, there's a new policy in place just for people like you. See next post for details.

Tipsy Pieslinger

Profile Skeleton If you've looked at this role play, and would like a chance to joinUser Image

So here's the deal. We all know that role players come and go, and not everyone stays in the game forever. We also know that sometimes these players leave without warning, and without giving their characters some kind of exit. I've already got a few extras on my hands, and at first thought I could either take them all on myself or distribute them out to the remaining players.

But then, I decided, everyone loves fresh blood!

So! Now, if you to join our wonderfully despairing school life of mutual killings but tragically fell short of the application date, there's still hope! All you have to do is abandon all thoughts of introducing a new student, forget any unused talents you'd like to claim for yourself, and take a look at which characters are currently under my control that were not created by me. Then send me a PM with a role play sample (because there's no application for me to judge, you see), and so long as it isn't incredibly sloppy and lazily done, bingo you're in! I'll even keep a nice, concise list of characters up for grabs.

A quick note: Already participating role players get priority. If any of you bastards have a friend who is no longer with us, and you want to heroically take in their poor, abandoned characters, just ask. PMs and posting in the OOC thread are both acceptable ways of requesting character control.

The Abandoned:
Super High School Level Heir Kyuzo Fushikage
Super High School Level Programmer Louise Souji
Super High School Level Pianist Gabriel Léglise (debating, as this was a character of a friend who knew the ending of Dangan Ronpa before I did)

Short and simple.

[imgleft]Appearance URL[/imgleft]
[b]Gaia Online Name:[/b]
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Height:[/b]
[b]Weight:[/b]
[b]Specialty:[/b] Super High School Level
[b]Personality:[/b] Cold? Friendly? Likely to solve problems with fists? Give us an idea.
[b]Bio:[/b] At [i]least[/i] a paragraph, preferably two. Include things like how they honed their talent, general family life, what they do with friends... You know, all the usual stuff. Maybe include a blurb about how they feel to leave their old school behind to go to such a prestigious one.

Alternate, for people who don't have an image.

[b]Appearance:[/b] Describe their features, and usual attire. Hair color, eye color, maybe make mention if their nose is particularly large or if they keep their hair in a certain style, all that jazz.
[b]Gaia Online Name:[/b]
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Height:[/b]
[b]Weight:[/b]
[b]Specialty:[/b] Super High School Level
[b]Personality:[/b] Cold? Friendly? Likely to solve problems with fists? Give us an idea.
[b]Bio:[/b] At [i]least[/i] a paragraph, preferably two. Include things like how they honed their talent, general family life, what they do with friends... You know, all the usual stuff. Maybe include a blurb about how they feel to leave their old school behind to go to such a prestigious one.

Tipsy Pieslinger

THE SCHOOL GROUNDS - 1st Floor

User Image

User Image=Entrance Hall. Doesn't really stand up to the name, anymore. There isn't much to see besides the large bulkhead blocking you from the rest of the world. There is a letterbox nearby, but it's empty.

User Image=Classrooms. Includes desks, chairs, a blackboard, the usual. The south one has a note on one of the desks, the contents of which can be read here.

User Image=A/V Room. Includes several monitors, DVD players, chairs, ect. On the center of the back wall is a very large monitor that reaches from the ceiling to the floor, and it is flanked on both sides by large speakers.

User Image=Locked.

User Image=A small trinket shop, but since it's useless in this setting, it's locked and closed off.

User Image=Dorm Rooms. Almost like a second, attached building. The Cafeteria and Laundry Room are both inside, among others.

User Image=Locked

User Image=Restrooms, separated by gender.

User Image=Trophy Room, leading to Gymnasium. Trophy room includes things from the obvious like baseball, golf, and other sports trophies, to the bit more obscure, like a religious statue and a practice sword painted gold. Gym lacks any equipment, but contains bleachers, a stage with a podium, and flags with the school symbol.

User Image=Stairs to 2nd Floor. Currently locked behind a shutter gate.

Tipsy Pieslinger

THE SCHOOL GROUNDS - Dormitory Building

User Image

User Image=Entrance/Exit that leads back to the main school building.

User Image=Stairs leading to the 2nd floor. Currently locked behind a shutter gate.

User Image=Storage Room. Currently locked.

User Image=Cafeteria. Off limits during Night Time. The Kitchen can only be accessed through here.

User Image=Kitchen. Fully stocked with all different kinds of foods, ranging from frozen dinners and instant noodles, to fresh meats and produce. Includes microwave, oven, stove, sink, silverware, a knife set hanging on the wall, and pots and pans.

User Image=Changing Room. Currently locked.

User Image=Currently inaccessible.

User Image=Currently inaccessible.

User Image=Laundry Room. Includes several washing machines, a table for you to fold your clothes, a few chairs and a magazine while you wait, only a couple drying machines, a wall mounted calendar, and lines and clothes pegs for those of you who would rather have your clothes air dry. All cleaning supplies such as detergent are provided.

User Image=Restrooms, separated by gender.

User Image=Garbage Room. Behind the door is a shutter gate, locked but for the single student who is on garbage collection duty that week. Behind the gate is a button-activated incinerator and the drop chute. There is also a locked trap door on easily accessible side of the gate.

User Image=The Dorm Rooms themselves. Assigned automatically, but I will accept requests for changes before the role play actually starts. Each room includes includes a personal desk, notepad, lint roll brush, closet, bed, and bathroom. All the girls' rooms bathroom doors lock, the boys' do not. Water is shut off after Night Time. On the front of the doors is a hanging plate with the occupant's name and a small pixel art sketch of them, to completely minimize the chance for one student to ring the buzzer for someone s/he wasn't looking for.
Assigned rooms so far:
1 - Sammy
2 - Mitsuko
3 - Kyuzo
4 - Lukas
5 - Taiga
6 - Ami
7 - Cherelle
8 - Louise
9 - Kaiyo
10 - Gabriel
11 - Cameron