Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lucky Noob

Likely. They're already doing it with internal organs either way.

Hygienic Humorist

8,800 Points
  • Trader 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Contributor 150
yes but not 20-30 years maybe after 100 years which makes us dead by then lol

Benevolent Lunatic

7,850 Points
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
I prefer the cybernetic approach to self-enhancement, but the biological solution seems just as intriguing and will most likely be just as popular when this type of technology becomes commonplace in society.

Geared Spirit

It would be much more difficult, expensive and time consuming to create biological replacements than it would be to create neural transduction-controlled mechanical replacements. A biological replacement for a 20 year old, would essentially take 20 years to 'grow', resulting in a 20 year old replacemet for a now 40 year old recipient. The problems of rejection and reduced neural connectivity from transplantation would still be an issue, as well as a morality issue of whether or not human biological replacements should even be created.
On the other hand, a mechanical replacement, controlled by a nueral transduction interface (think of an implantable Arduino, whose signal inputs are powered by the very nerve fibers that were used to articulate the lost limb. The chance for rejection is greatly reduced ( only a small chip that translates nerve impulses to and from the replacement would actually be in contact with biological tissue ) The time frame would be greatly reduced, ( a mechanical replacement could be fabricated in a few short months as opposed to many years to grow a biological replacement ) So it's not a question of if and when, but one of 'why even bother?'

Greedy Consumer

JediDillon
Replace severed limbs like a leg or an arm with an artificially human created one? Not like the mechanical arms and legs that we have today, but like with actual arms and legs that humans have created by regrowing skin cells. Kinda like the bio-synthetic ones from Star Trek. Do you think that this could be possible in the next 20-30 years?
they are doing it for hearts within the next 10 years, but I imagine bones are more difficult, I could be wrong. Because someone told me, I didnt receive a link on it.

Hilarious Prophet

Fermionic
A human being's made of more than skin.
>implying creation
Jacque De Molay
Fermionic
>implying creation

Not at all, really.

Hilarious Prophet

Fermionic
Jacque De Molay
Fermionic
>implying creation

Not at all, really.
Totally.
Jacque De Molay
Fermionic
Jacque De Molay
Fermionic
>implying creation

Not at all, really.
Totally.

Wrong again.
JediDillon
Replace severed limbs like a leg or an arm with an artificially human created one? Not like the mechanical arms and legs that we have today, but like with actual arms and legs that humans have created by regrowing skin cells. Kinda like the bio-synthetic ones from Star Trek. Do you think that this could be possible in the next 20-30 years?

Probably. Look up "100 years ago" in google.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff