Welcome to Gaia! ::

My simple argument for introducing cbd is that the side effects of the neuroleptics are inhumane to force upon someone. Emotional blunting, loss of imagination, lack of internal voice, anhedonia, dysphoria, akithesia, motor impairment, and brain damage. These things constitute torture and should be avoided if we're to call ourselves a humane society.

But there are a few reasons I can see why they're holding back on it.

1. Antipsychotics make the pharma companies more money than any other type of drugs. They would lose billions in revenue if cbd became first line treatment for schizophrenia, because cbd is a natural compound and is not patentable. These companies actually write the dsm 4 and control psychiatric law. In fact, since cbd treats other conditions like anxiety, and some good old thc lifts a depression or add, psychiatry would effectively collapse. Right now it serves as social justice, separate from the justice system, If you're sad to the point where it becomes a social problem, they blunt your emotions and sex drive and cripple the brains natural functioning. If you're anxious, they do something similar. Schizophrenics get it the worst, not even being able to refuse and getting the most radical damage done to their minds or souls in order to make them socially normal.

2. It's a question of security. A schizo is simply not trusted mentally, and since cbd doesn't act as a cognitive restraint, the government simply would not trust schizophrenics on it. Antipsychotic treatment is supposed to be a punishment similar to prison but acting internally, and cbd would raise the issue of having a bunch of crazy but now healthy free thinkers in society, who are potentially dangerous.

3. They want to but the whole cannabis plant happens to be illegal.

I think within the next 10 years Canada with its emphasis on medical marijuana will collapse psychiatry by introducing cbd as first line treatment. Psychiatry isn't humane towards the schizos, and these 3 issues will be reasonably disregarded. The pharmacaust will become a real issue studied by historians.

http://healthland.time.com/2012/05/30/marijuana-compound-treats-schizophrenia-with-few-side-effects-clinical-trial/

What do you think?

Unforgiving Warlord

13,400 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Love Machine 150
idk about this topic but whatever ill read some from the website

Quote:
“Not only was [CBD] as effective as standard antipsychotics, but it was also essentially free of the typical side effects seen with antipsychotic drugs.”

Quote:
“These exciting findings should stimulate a great deal of research,” says Dr. John Krystal, chair of psychiatry at Yale University School of Medicine, who was not associated with the research. He notes that CBD not only had fewer side effects, but also seemed to work better on schizophrenia’s so-called “negative symptoms,” which are notoriously hard to treat.

Quote:
Complicating matters further, when chronic marijuana smokers build up a tolerance to THC, it may down-regulate the entire system, making it harder for anandamide to have its positive effects. This may be why some studies find that people with schizophrenia who smoke marijuana get worse.

When she says typical side effects that worries me. If the typical side effects aren't there...then what other side effects? I haven't really pad too much attention reading it I admit...but if this is a new research... they shouldn't start telling people it might be a better idea to give this to these types of patients.

They should definitely hold back on giving this to patients imo

Quote:
Piomelli and others are working to develop synthetic versions of CBD that would avoid such hurdles. “We have one and are hoping to move forward in the near future,” he says.

"in the near future"... If they come up with something that can avoid complications that's good maybe it can benefit some people. However the complications they are talking about still worries me. Also what if this synthetic drug gets into the hands of people without this illness? Will it effect them differently?

I feel like I have to take this with a lot of skepticism.

Familiar Flatterer

This is one study, of 39 patients. Its hardly the key trial we need to be able to change good treatment we have already.

Thant being said, anyway to reduce horrible pyramidal side-effects from currently and older antipsychotics would help. But I'm cautious about these. Pharm companies also don't write the DSM. *rolls eyes* it matches the WHO ICD-10. Also, if they are sectioned, it is because they are a harm to themselves or others!
Dr Dimari
This is one study, of 39 patients. Its hardly the key trial we need to be able to change good treatment we have already.

Thant being said, anyway to reduce horrible pyramidal side-effects from currently and older antipsychotics would help. But I'm cautious about these. Pharm companies also don't write the DSM. *rolls eyes* it matches the WHO ICD-10. Also, if they are sectioned, it is because they are a harm to themselves or others!
Not always. I wasnt and I still got sectioned.
It takes years to go from an initial study to full FDA approval and production.
Mooby the Golden Sock
It takes years to go from an initial study to full FDA approval and production.
Especially a cannabis compound. And especially something for schizophrenia. Truth is, if the antipsychotics were indicated for anything else, they would have been banned.

The government hates us.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces