Welcome to Gaia! ::

Suicidesoldier#1
Skyburn
Suicidesoldier#1
So what do you think is so bad about liquid salt?
Good for land-based.
Terrible for Sea-based.

I don't know how good their protection systems are in the liquid salt.
Liquid salt is absolutely horrid if you aren't as a**l-retentive as America is about reactors right now.

Well, liquid salt designs are a lot safer because they can operate at higher temperatures and have something like 200 times less expansion than water, so sudden spikes in temperature wouldn't have as much pressure.

I guess if it did have problem you could empty it out into a large container, like another pipe, not much of a problem but you'd likely lose your fuel and your liquid salt.

As far as I'm aware it is more thermally efficient, maybe twice as much, but idk.

Part of this is being able to operate higher temperatures. xp

I guess it would be bad for the sea.

It could be smaller, theoretically though. xp
There are other ways to deal with water expansion. To the point of lulzing at the idea of having a problem with it.

The biggest problem (apart from taking a direct hit) for being at sea is makeup-coolant. At sea, all you need is a distilling plant and purifiers.
At sea, you have to lug around all of that extra metal and maintain it's chemistry.

Fanatical Zealot

Skyburn
Suicidesoldier#1
Skyburn
Suicidesoldier#1
So what do you think is so bad about liquid salt?
Good for land-based.
Terrible for Sea-based.

I don't know how good their protection systems are in the liquid salt.
Liquid salt is absolutely horrid if you aren't as a**l-retentive as America is about reactors right now.

Well, liquid salt designs are a lot safer because they can operate at higher temperatures and have something like 200 times less expansion than water, so sudden spikes in temperature wouldn't have as much pressure.

I guess if it did have problem you could empty it out into a large container, like another pipe, not much of a problem but you'd likely lose your fuel and your liquid salt.

As far as I'm aware it is more thermally efficient, maybe twice as much, but idk.

Part of this is being able to operate higher temperatures. xp

I guess it would be bad for the sea.

It could be smaller, theoretically though. xp
There are other ways to deal with water expansion. To the point of lulzing at the idea of having a problem with it.

The biggest problem (apart from taking a direct hit) for being at sea is makeup-coolant. At sea, all you need is a distilling plant and purifiers.
At sea, you have to lug around all of that extra metal and maintain it's chemistry.

I suppose; plus, sea water is molten salt! xp

And it gives you tons of purified water so that's nice.

But to dealing with expansion, is it energy efficient?

I mean you could freeze the thing and- hey wait a second? O_o

If you put it in Antarctica would that make it safer?! O_O;!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff