Welcome to Gaia! ::

i think that being one of the initial inhabitants of mars is a very bold and presumably noble risk but im not that noble
but since you asked what would make me want to leave earth... if earth continues towards overpopulation and overpollution, mars becomes a desirable getaway from the struggles of earth life
i think that an indepenently sustained existence on mars is very important for the continued survival of our species

Shameless Mystic

Basically, I wouldn't leave Earth until such a thing was as mundane as intercontinental flights are today. Sure, the untamed universe is exciting. We can be excited about it here. Maybe when the world resembles Cowboy Bebop, I'd be more inclined to leave this planet.

Deathly Wyvern

22,890 Points
  • 20 Wins 100
  • PvP 200
  • 50 Wins 150
Has anyone conducted thorough research pertaining to the tectonic processes on Mars and its volcanoes? You wouldn't want Olympus Mons getting active again, believe me. I know its last eruption was 100 myrs, and I find that quite young in terms of geological time scale. Do we even know if there's still an active magma chamber just below the surface of it?
Hyegun
Has anyone conducted thorough research pertaining to the tectonic processes on Mars and its volcanoes? You wouldn't want Olympus Mons getting active again, believe me. I know its last eruption was 100 myrs, and I find that quite young in terms of geological time scale. Do we even know if there's still an active magma chamber just below the surface of it?
Not to my knowledge, to conduct that research you would need technicians on the ground. There have been no reported major seismic events from any lander or rover, nor observable geological shift from orbital telemetry.

Chatty Gaian

8,150 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
No.

Mars has no dogs, cats, bears, lions, tigers, elephants, hippos, birds, bees.

Mars has nothing. It's a big ******** rock with no life. No. I would never want to colonize it and I would rather die on Earth than live on Mars.
Mik Laid
No.

Mars has nothing. It's a big ******** rock with no life. No. I would never want to colonize it and I would rather die on Earth than live on Mars.

"what's out there?" "what you take with you" (I'll tip your post if you get that reference. wink )

Would you please expound? You made some pretty broad blanket statements there. Why would you rather die than live?
New contest, please check first post whee

Chatty Gaian

8,150 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
martian_adventurer
Mik Laid
No.

"what's out there?" "what you take with you" (I'll tip your post if you get that reference. wink )

Would you please expound? You made some pretty broad blanket statements there. Why would you rather die than live?
I don't get that reference. I don't watch a lot of movies. >w<

It's pretty simple. Nature is beautiful. Black, empty space and red dirt are not. It's not that I would rather die than live. I just don't want to live on a big rock with very little life on it. That's not a life worth living in my opinion.
Mik Laid
martian_adventurer
Mik Laid
No.

I don't get that reference. I don't watch a lot of movies. >w<

It's pretty simple. Nature is beautiful. Black, empty space and red dirt are not. It's not that I would rather die than live. I just don't want to live on a big rock with very little life on it. That's not a life worth living in my opinion.

You haven't seen the beauty of the desert then, where there is a will-there will be life. (star wars by the way-revenge of the sith) Have you considered that you live on a big rock with a great deal of strife and conflict? And that by starting life on another big rock you could help the life you left behind through what you learned and sent back? That is a life most certainly worth living-but I might just be a hopeless romantic.

Profitable Noob

6,400 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
Star Wars!! I blame star wars for making me want to leave earth and seek for galactic conquest as the dark lord of the sith!

Bloodthirsty Phantom

16,300 Points
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Battle: KO 200
  • Partygoer 500
Right now, there's really nothing to convince me to leave. First off, right now there is so much room for error, it quite possible I might not even make it to Mars. Then, even if I do make it, there isn't really that much on Mars right now that's interesting enough to go for a permanent stay. Mostly a bunch of rocks with ice caps on the top and bottom. Now, if it had been terraformed and had a vibrant ecosystem, then there would be a little more appeal. Especially considering my goal in life is to work with animals, living on Mars is extremely unappealing.
Humans gonk
What could a layman like me contribute once I actually arrived on mars? Assuming this is the first/very early stage of colonization. I could at least nominally contribute to whatever creative endeavors there are once a city-like settlement was established, like architecture and outreach media (what you're doing now).

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff