Welcome to Gaia! ::

Since everything, even time itself, began after the big bang, i fear we shall never know of what existed before that.

However, there are thousends of theorys ade by, both sciensits or just people with a big imagination. I have a theory myself on this subject if anyone's interested in hearing it.
When particle physicist refer to "empty space", they're referring to Energy.

So Energy is what "came before".
Matter appeared simply from the laws of physics.

Where the Energy came from is the question.I'm in favor of it being a self-existing intelligence that purposely created matter through thought, as a way for It to experience Itself. We are all extensions/"distortions" of this Infinite Potential. But that last bit is more of a religious thing ^-^
chingate

wait what?
Vannak
chingate

wait what?

Quantum Fluctuations ^-^
chingate
Vannak
chingate

wait what?

Quantum Fluctuations ^-^

The big bang model doesn't suggest that before the big bang there was empty space, it suggests that there was no space to be empty or to contain energy at all. Or at least an infinitesimally small amount of space.
Vannak
chingate
Vannak
chingate

wait what?

Quantum Fluctuations ^-^

The big bang model doesn't suggest that before the big bang there was empty space, it suggests that there was no space to be empty or to contain energy at all. Or at least an infinitesimally small amount of space.

There are many views on what nothingness is.

Look up Lawrence Krauss.
chingate
Vannak
chingate
Vannak
chingate

wait what?

Quantum Fluctuations ^-^

There are many views on what nothingness is.

Look up Lawrence Krauss.

I'm aware of who Lawrence Krauss is, and I enjoy watching his presentations. However what he says doesn't support your position. Empty space does have energy, however this does not mean there was any energy before the big bang. Empty space did not exist before the big bang. This is because space didn't exist before the big bang. Krauss doesn't suggest the opposite as far as I have ever seen.

Shameless Mystic

Vannak
Here's one idea:
http://phys.org/news189792839.html
That's fascinating, actually, moreso to me because I had actually thought about this before. I had imagined two cases for this: Either it's an infinite myriad of universes spilling into eachother (although the concept of time gets pretty strange here), or because of the amount of matter gradually decreasing as it goes through the black holes, perhaps each universe formed is just substantially smaller than the universe it came from, and as a result, atstral constructs like stars and black holes might be more common in high density universes, but uncommon to nonexistent in lower density universes.

I'm amazed a legit astronomer had similar thoughts. It was just a weird train of thought I had, and I didn't actually place much value in its validity.
there is no such thing as existence outside the universe. there is no such thing as outside the universe. everything there is always was and always will be. and for one to try and imagine nothing is kind of stupid. it's nothing, hence nothing to imagine. NOTHING. that's why it's hard to imagine.

that all is to assume that there is only one universe and nothing else... you could always try multi-verse theories.

but to come right back to the beginning, everything that exists always has in some form or another. if there is a multi-verse, then it never began. it just always was. and if you consider everything that exists, there is nothing out side of it, whether it is a multiverse or just our universe.

everything that exists always has, always will, and there is nothing outside of it, because once you consider everything, there is nothing else. however much of everything there is, it has an outer limit beyond which existence ceases.
Fabadozer
??

Or what existed before the big bang. I just can't imagine "nothing".
Watch this video that was filmed at Arizona State University. It is a conversation between Evolutionary Biologist Richard Dawkins, and Theoretical Physicist Lawrence Krauss titled "Something From Nothing" where they discuss this very issue. Give it a watch, it is very interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH9UvnrARf8
We dont know. Anyone who tells you otherwise is lying and/or has an agenda.
Depends what theory you subscribe to. Personally, I favour the cyclical universe in which the universe is an unending cycle of Big Bangs and Big Crunches.

Although, technically, time is created in the Big Bang, so a linear understanding of causality would suggest that there is nothing "before" the Big Bang, though that does not necessarily mean that other things haven't existed outside of our time.

Shy Genius

16,700 Points
  • Hesitant Participant 100
  • Party Member 100
  • Converting 1 item 100
Fabadozer
??

Or what existed before the big bang. I just can't imagine "nothing".

The universe did.
Where does matter go when it goes into a black hole?
And, I did not learn this via another mind, and theorized this back in the 90's. It's simply a matter of logic.

Enduring Genius

6,000 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Statustician 100
  • Autobiographer 200
God and prolly some other universes. 3nodding

Fanatical Zealot

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash