Welcome to Gaia! ::

Do you think virtual technology is a good idea?

Total Votes:[ 0 ]
This poll closed on February 2, 2005.
No longer accepting new votes.
1 2 >

Wouldn't it be cool if we could be part of our favorite video games?
Imagine being link in legend of zelda or whoever in your favorite video game!

Genius

I think that would be sweet. Like you said, imagine being face-to-face with Ganon, or maybe being face-to-face with covenent troops in Halo...

It would be really sweet if they had sensory things too, like, if you were in the Fire Temple, you'd feel warm, if you were in the Water Temple, you'd feel cold, maybe wet and humid... It would be SO sweet...
that whould be cool it could revolutionis gameing
it would be awesome if you felt pain too (not real pain just like a small shock or you get like a tingling sensation)
Yeah, an uncontested great idea, but just for fun I'll do cons. Um...people might become too involved.
Quote:
Yeah, an uncontested great idea, but just for fun I'll do cons. Um...people might become too involved.

But whats the problem with that? I can see a bright future with that idea.

4,550 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
I think it's a great idea... plus some of the technology already exists. They use virtual reality for treatment of phobias e.g. fear of hights.
So the feeling of presence can already be given with VR. Still a large step before it is turned in a game computer you can use at home but it's getting closer and closer....

On the cons side.... I agree that gaming like this could be addictive...
Here's a con... Install your gaming rig improperly and your head explodes.

Virtual Reality already exists and has existed for some time, for various levels of reality.

We can do touch, we can do vision, we can do full-body motion, there's no particular reason why we couldn't do they al together, though I don't know of any rigs that actually do.

But there are always bugs and glitches. And in a system that provides force feedback, those glitches translate into impacts against your own body. A sufficient glitch could kill or injure the user. Same with temperature control. Heat stroke or hypothermia could be caused by the mechanism. (a mechanism that could actually cause burns or frostbite, while possible, would be unlikely to ever be installed in such a rig.)

Rendering glitches and resultant flickering of the world around you can cause siezures.

I don't see 'addiction' as being a particular problem, since people still have to eat to live.
That could be a problem but its just one of the next steps in gaming.
as long as it doen't hurt...
that sounds good because if you fall from a tower you wouldn't die you will be alive no matter what. that would also be awsome because you could experience things that you cant experience as humans(fliying)
i think thats good so people can do something else in their spare time. that is also a good source of entertainment.
i think its a really good idea for training purposes and it would be really good fun to be in the game
its wud be awsome.

6,100 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
ArFaen
Here's a con... Install your gaming rig improperly and your head explodes.

Virtual Reality already exists and has existed for some time, for various levels of reality.

We can do touch, we can do vision, we can do full-body motion, there's no particular reason why we couldn't do they al together, though I don't know of any rigs that actually do.

But there are always bugs and glitches. And in a system that provides force feedback, those glitches translate into impacts against your own body. A sufficient glitch could kill or injure the user. Same with temperature control. Heat stroke or hypothermia could be caused by the mechanism. (a mechanism that could actually cause burns or frostbite, while possible, would be unlikely to ever be installed in such a rig.)

Rendering glitches and resultant flickering of the world around you can cause siezures.

I don't see 'addiction' as being a particular problem, since people still have to eat to live.

The right thing to do would be to have some sort of safety breaker on the thing. If it gets too hot, a switch would melt, cutting off current to the heat supply. Same with cold: if it gets below freezing, a switch would expand and snap. Etc.

Forceful impacts should not be installed in the game. I mean, I wouldn't want to play if I got bruses from sword fights. I once read a book where, in a Virtual Reality format, dying constituted seeing white light and a fizzy feeling. Something like that would make sense. Where you felt a tickling feeling or something, when something hit you.

There's risks in everything. Every day, you walk outside and hope a plane doesn't crash and land on you. Or a tree. Or that the sidewalk doesn't crack, and you don't trip and fall and break your neck.

Flickering doesn't always cause seizures, usually only in people with an epileptic condition. Of course, those people should never play video games anyways. It says so on the box.

The first game produced for such a system should be something like "Super Mario VR," where the worst thing you get is a poke or a nibble from a goomba, or you fall off a cliff into what feels like bubbling soda, then get retransported to the start.

Virtual Reality is what I've been waiting for my whole life, though. I really, really want it to be developed within my younger years.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff