No 0.375 37.5% [ 6 ]
Total Votes:[ 16 ]
1 2 >

Obsessive Cat

20,865 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Generous 100
Hey there, I'm in the middle of developing a thesis about videogames and its after-effects from biological point of view; since it usually involves psychological subjects and not very often do I find anything substansive that can help in the biology field of research.

Currently I'm looking of for references, previous thesis, invesigations, articles, books or anything related to that, I would very much appreciate it if you guys could help me out in here, if its succesful or good info, well, so long it can be used somehow and its not something I've seen before, then I'll throw a few freebie arts.

What I'm researching for goes around:
~Explanation about the previous psychological investigations justified by neurotransmisors and such hormones.
~Changes in the body after videogames (Like the loss of fingerprints due to friction, the problems in th back due to posture, red eyes)
~Change in impulses (Like when the hands tremble, the individual gets decterity, reflexes improved, sudden reactions)

If it were possible also:
-How much time do junior high kids spend in videogames.

Thank you very much for your kindness, consideration and time for reading this and possibly aid.

Obsessive Cat

20,865 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Generous 100
Do you google ?

Obsessive Cat

20,865 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Generous 100
DXnobodyX
Do you google ?

As a fact, I do, but they do not seem to have what I need =(
Light Von Adler
DXnobodyX
Do you google ?

Do you have access to a journal database? like through school/college/uni?

Obsessive Cat

20,865 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Generous 100
DXnobodyX
Light Von Adler
DXnobodyX
Do you google ?

Do you have access to a journal database? like through school/college/uni?

Yup, but everything there is related merely to publicity and to the effects of videogames in children making them more violent and less sensitive to killing and so on =o

Dangerous Lunatic

3,550 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
I'm not sure about the rest, but I can tell you that shaking hands come from adrenaline. I've had it happen to me before. It usually happens when your extremely immersed in a game and you're reaction time isn't even a smidgen long. It's more likely to occur when you have caffeine running through your system, too. Hands shaking while playing games is the reason why your hands might be shaking after an intense or stressful real world experience. It's nerves. Jitteriness.
This is really not helpful, and I'm sorry, but I read an article a couple of months ago about a study having been done that showed children who watched more television had smaller blood vessels in their eyes. Maybe you could try googling something along the lines of that? You could also just try researching or looking for any studies done that show certain things that are seemingly unrelated to video games, but actually are related. For instance, you could look up stuff about back problems and the amount of time spent sitting and bad posture/etc. And then relate that to video games. It will probably be a lot harder to find things specifically related to video games.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. Good luck!

Beloved Elder

7,350 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • First step to fame 200
I think. just my opinion, instead of video games, you should research time on computer and what that results in.
Like for example: on average how much time does an average junior high student spend on facebook?

But if you think your hypothesis is logical, and you have empirical data to back it up, like the previous posters said, look into psychology journal article about it and if that doesn't help, just round up some test subjects and try it out.

Obsessive Cat

20,865 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Generous 100
Leader of the Penguins
I think. just my opinion, instead of video games, you should research time on computer and what that results in.
Like for example: on average how much time does an average junior high student spend on facebook?

But if you think your hypothesis is logical, and you have empirical data to back it up, like the previous posters said, look into psychology journal article about it and if that doesn't help, just round up some test subjects and try it out.

The subject was assigned by the school to me, in any case, it is still very important, as much as the computer; although, its more straight forward thant the one you're suggesting.
In any case, the facebook one was covered a year ago

2,750 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Contributor 150
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Is this of any relevance?

"Dopamine is the neurotransmitter released during video game play, which makes sense in terms of the role of exploration and rewards involved in gaming. Dopamine in the brain's "seeking" circuitry urges our students forward in games involving creatures with strange adaptations. The game world delivers access to new levels, varying rewards, and additional life forms. Without dopamine, our students cannot learn properly. Dopamine lets us explore, and reach out and grab new information. Its down side is that there is a correlation between dopamine and addictiveness, which may explain why kids can play video games such as Halo for hours on end. I do not claim that all of video gaming is advantageous."

Reference:

MLA
MacKenzie, Ann Haley. "The Brain, the Biology Classroom & Kids with Video Games." American Biology Teacher Nov. 2005: 517+. Education Research Complete. Web. 16 Apr. 2012.

APA
MacKenzie, A. (2005, November). The brain, the biology classroom & kids with video games. American Biology Teacher. pp. 517-518.
Don't they find something about it helping coordination in surgeons and kids to an extent ?

7,200 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Nerd 50
Fetch of the Valkyrie
Is this of any relevance?

"Dopamine is the neurotransmitter released during video game play, which makes sense in terms of the role of exploration and rewards involved in gaming. Dopamine in the brain's "seeking" circuitry urges our students forward in games involving creatures with strange adaptations. The game world delivers access to new levels, varying rewards, and additional life forms. Without dopamine, our students cannot learn properly. Dopamine lets us explore, and reach out and grab new information. Its down side is that there is a correlation between dopamine and addictiveness, which may explain why kids can play video games such as Halo for hours on end. I do not claim that all of video gaming is advantageous."

Reference:

MLA
MacKenzie, Ann Haley. "The Brain, the Biology Classroom & Kids with Video Games." American Biology Teacher Nov. 2005: 517+. Education Research Complete. Web. 16 Apr. 2012.

APA
MacKenzie, A. (2005, November). The brain, the biology classroom & kids with video games. American Biology Teacher. pp. 517-518.

This is relating to what is quoted above. I recently read an article in Popular Science on "gamifying" your life. Basically what happens is you use various apps and programs to keep track of things you do. An example of that is when you do a chore you log it in a certain app and it gives you a reward, say coins or an achievement. The link is below. This might help you some.

Your life as a game
why don't you check out Kotaku and Gamasutra?
They'll have articles in the archives relevant to your studies.

Obsessive Cat

20,865 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Generous 100
Thank you everyone for your help.
I've finished the Thesis and I'll compensate those who have given proper aid.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff