Welcome to Gaia! ::

Invisible Raider

5,550 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
Time. We all know it only goes in one direction. It never deviates and does not slow down. However, what if it could? What if time isn't what we think it is. We already know time travel into the future is possible. Astronaunts who travel at 17,000 miles per hour above earth's orbit travel a fraction of a fraction of a second into the future. What if time travel to the past were possible. You might have heard of the time traveller's story of John Titor. He was a person or persons who supposably came back from the year 2036 to obtain old computer parts for some problems they were having in his time. He came back to the year 2001 and began to post on the internet in forums. He posted pictures of his time machine and gave predictions on the future. Some came to pass and some did not. It's a pretty interesting story. Anyway, I want to know what your ideas are. Do you think it is possible?

Fanatical Zealot

I'm traveling through time right now. : P

I guess it depends on how time works, and we don't know. : P

There's specific and general relativity but relative time isn't the same as going back in time.

If we did go back in time, could we be made out of matter, would we create an alternate reality, would we all go back in time, or would only a certain place in time go back, could we be excluded from going back in time as to not be born again as a baby or back before time machines are created, etc.
Time can slow, at least according to special relativity, which as far as anyone can tell seems to hold decently. Time can reverse, according to some interpretations of what an antiparticle is. Time can go in loops if you get a spinning black hole or a cosmic string, at least in most interpretations of general relativity, in that if you start at point A and time t, and go around the black hole or cosmic string in the right direction, you end up back at point A and time t according to outside observers even though the clock on your spaceship thinks that time passed.
I keep forgetting, what do we think time is again, such that we're currently trying to think differently?

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
If time travel becomes possible we will be ********.

Dangerous Vampire

Time travel does fascinate me.
It actually may indeed be possible to create a device/structure that allows travel through time, however it would take a shitton of resources and only be able to travel to points in time after it is constructed, the problem with time travel is, although it doesnt violate the laws of physics is raises interesting questions on cause and effect.

but, the possible benefits of a time machine could be enormous, just go get yourselves from 1000 years in the future and ask for technology and scientific information vastly increasing your level of progress possibly becoming a godlike civilization in a very short amount of time, possibly even overnight (which has its own problems)

Invisible Raider

5,550 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
Blood Valkyrie
If time travel becomes possible we will be ********, care to elaborate on that thoery?

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
EleventhXDoctor
Blood Valkyrie
If time travel becomes possible we will be ********, care to elaborate on that thoery?

Someone could really mess with the past.

Fanatical Zealot

Since the dawn of time, the balance of what is right, and what is wrong, has...

Sure, if we can create an Einstein Rosen bridge relative to time instead of just spatial location we should theoretically be able to travel back in time.

But it would take negative matter to sustain it.

And you would need to control it to work for time.

Tricky Conversationalist

8,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
James Holmes was working on time travel. Google "temporal illusions". Very interesting topic of research.

Zealot

I'm going to just put it out there, I don't think time travel to the past is a possible feat. Time travel into the future is easy with relativity.

Hygienic Gawker

EleventhXDoctor
It never deviates and does not slow down

It was at this point I realised I didn't have to read any more of this post.

Traveler

Time travel is ezpz. all you have to do is go to sleep, a few hours later and you wake up, but it only feels like a few seconds have passed. The only problem is, the b***h you were with last night is still in your bed.
Although what the person above me says sounds like a stupid first thought, it douse raise a question. Why isn't it considered time travel? I mean, other people see you the whole time, that is true, but you do not realise that hours have passed.

I thinks that, for activities like sleep, we should create another category of time traveling. Falling into coma or loosing consiousnes wouls fit in that category. I may seem nonsense at first, but just think about it before jumping into conclusions.
AfryChi
Although what the person above me says sounds like a stupid first thought, it douse raise a question. Why isn't it considered time travel? I mean, other people see you the whole time, that is true, but you do not realise that hours have passed.

I thinks that, for activities like sleep, we should create another category of time traveling. Falling into coma or loosing consiousnes wouls fit in that category. I may seem nonsense at first, but just think about it before jumping into conclusions.
Because your perception of time isn't what time is. A rock, never being aware of time, isn't said to instantaneously travel from the moment of it's creation to the moment of it's destruction. Your body is still traveling through time though you're not aware of it. You still age while you're in a coma or asleep. I mean, we wouldn't say you time travel if you take the batteries out of your wrist watch, would you?

That being said you can time travel in this kind of way simply by traveling at high speeds. Things like photons actually do instantaneously travel from the moment of their creation to their destruction (or absorption, more likely). If photons somehow had a clock attached to them with out slowing down, that clock would never tick, ever. If you were to say, travel at 90% the speed of light for a week, and spent another week at the same speed coming back (2 weeks travel at .9c), you would have time traveled about a month in a week. That is, you on your space ship age 2 weeks while everyone on earth would have aged a month. As you get closer and closer to the speed of light the effect gets exaggerated more and more. At .99c, for the same 2 weeks, people on earth would have aged 3 months. This effect isn't just about perception, clocks would tick differently, no matter what kind they are: Mechanical, electric or atomic. Your body would also age slower, unlike in a coma.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff