Welcome to Gaia! ::

I saw this petition on Reddit. It's over halfway to the 25,000 signature threshold that allows it to be considered for a response from the White House staff.

What about it ED?

The United States is one of three countries in the world -- Liberia and Burma -- that does not majorly use the metric system for its system of measurement. We tried to metricate in the 1970s, but the attempt failed primarily due to mismanagement and non-commitment from the government.

Do you think we could ever switch? Should we ever switch?

Oh, and pass on the petition link: http://1.usa.gov/ZPV17U
We could switch, yes. Do we need to switch? Probably not.

Metric is already used where it's useful in the US, such as in science and international industry. It's not really a huge deal for the average person.
I don't see why not. It's a lot more simple. The problem is transition.

Wheezing Lunatic

It'd be nice to have everyone on the same page, but I don't think it is feasible for America to switch to the metric system.

The expense alone is reason not to. Measurements on packaged products would have to be changed, whether gradually to give people time to adjust or all at once. The switch to the metric system would also affect housing and lot sizes, the measurement of temperatures, and change of speed signs and mileage.

I'm sure that in the event it does change, a whole lot of Americans are going to be confused. Simple day to day activities would be complicated, such as buying gas, which would be measured in liters instead of gallons. That, the economic side to it, and how most people are resistant to change just show how difficult the change over would be.

Greedy Consumer

we should switch, it makes us have better relations and udnerstanding of the metric system, and its based on 10s not based on like 12s 16s and whatever other random units they decide to come up with. 10s are very solid, just liek hwo its easy to multiple 10x10x10etc. Just add one zero to the end for each ten and tada, 1,000. It makes sense to switch.

Greedy Consumer

Vague Void
It'd be nice to have everyone on the same page, but I don't think it is feasible for America to switch to the metric system.

The expense alone is reason not to. Measurements on packaged products would have to be changed, whether gradually to give people time to adjust or all at once. The switch to the metric system would also affect housing and lot sizes, the measurement of temperatures, and change of speed signs and mileage.

I'm sure that in the event it does change, a whole lot of Americans are going to be confused. Simple day to day activities would be complicated, such as buying gas, which would be measured in liters instead of gallons. That, the economic side to it, and how most people are resistant to change just show how difficult the change over would be.
well for gas being like 2 dollars a liter, idk they still will have the per litr instead of per gallon signs, they are easily compared to other gas stations I think itll be a problem with paperwork though, otherwise it might be better to change.

Wheezing Lunatic

We Are Organisms
Vague Void

well for gas being like 2 dollars a liter, idk they still will have the per litr instead of per gallon signs, they are easily compared to other gas stations I think itll be a problem with paperwork though, otherwise it might be better to change.

If by a problem of paperwork, you mean training and educating every construction worker, plumber, or average citizen that does anything in life, then I agree with you.

Greedy Consumer

Vague Void
We Are Organisms
Vague Void

If by a problem of paperwork, you mean training and educating every construction worker, plumber, or average citizen that does anything in life, then I agree with you.
they just need to memorize a few conversions, old tools wont need to be destroyed such as rulers, since they have centimeters anyways they could still be used in a similar fashion, it takes one small class or two and they are done.

Wheezing Lunatic

We Are Organisms
Vague Void
We Are Organisms
Vague Void

they just need to memorize a few conversions, old tools wont need to be destroyed such as rulers, since they have centimeters anyways they could still be used in a similar fashion, it takes one small class or two and they are done.

I think you're putting too much faith in the laziest generation in the history of the universe.

But hey, there's an app for that.

Greedy Consumer

Vague Void
We Are Organisms
Vague Void
We Are Organisms
Vague Void

I think you're putting too much faith in the laziest generation in the history of the universe.

The fact that there werent enough to petition for this before shows that we are not the laziest, since its this generation actually doing something.

Wheezing Lunatic

We Are Organisms
Vague Void
We Are Organisms
Vague Void
We Are Organisms
Vague Void

The fact that there werent enough to petition for this before shows that we are not the laziest, since its this generation actually doing something.

That really doesn't show anything.

Greedy Consumer

Vague Void
We Are Organisms
Vague Void
We Are Organisms
Vague Void

That really doesn't show anything.
We are known as being the lazy generation, but with technology increase the next three generations probably are gonna be considered that also, or even more so. What you said also 'really doesn't show anything'.
Vague Void

Hey - the metric system was invented by the French at the turn of the 19th Century. Every country in the world has since gone through metrication, except the US. We're talking countries with larger populations like India and China, and countries with large areas and diverse populations like Russia or Australia. If they can do it, the US can do it as well.

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Brothern
Every country in the world has since gone through metrication, except the US.

We (Ireland) moved our distances and speeds to metric. Our distances were in km since the 90s, but our speed limits were in mph. Truth.
We sell products (except a pint of beer) in metric, but we weigh ourselves in stone and our heights are discussed in feet and inches.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff