Welcome to Gaia! ::

So I heard this theory.
The big bang created the universe from a singularity with infinite mass.
Today, the universe constantly expands outward. But some say that it is slowing down and that eventually gravity will start pulling everything back together creating yet another singularity, thus bringing our current universe to an end.

However, if this second singularity would to explode again, they say another universe would be born.
If this keeps happening over and over and over again for eternity, eventually, wouldn't mathematical properties predict that a universe exactly the same as ours would be created, with the same planets, physics, people, starts ect.
Thus we would live again (just without our memories.)
Perhaps, its already happened.

Is this theory possible?
Thoughts?

Regular

Presuming that 'you' = your consciousness, in this particular theory the 'new you' would really have no relation to you at all.

Perhaps more importantly, this theory has really no link to the empirical data that is supposedly supporting it (unlike the expanding-universe theory, which is a logical deduction from the observable universe).

It would make for a pretty sweet novel, though!

Fashionable Explorer

Torleep v2
Presuming that 'you' = your consciousness, in this particular theory the 'new you' would really have no relation to you at all.

Perhaps more importantly, this theory has really no link to the empirical data that is supposedly supporting it (unlike the expanding-universe theory, which is a logical deduction from the observable universe).

It would make for a pretty sweet novel, though!

That would make an awesome novel.

But while it might be somewhat plausible, though extremely unlikely to the point one might say it can't. My issue with this thought is that the you that is, would not be the 'you' that would be. As everything in your life would have to happen exactly the same way, relying on everyone you know having exactly the same life.... etc etc.
I think the statistics would tell you that it's unlikely, just like they tell you life randomly happening is unlikely up many trillionths of a degree.

Divine Sage

Santhor Shin
So I heard this theory.
Today, the universe constantly expands outward. But some say that it is slowing down and that eventually gravity will start pulling everything back together creating yet another singularity, thus bringing our current universe to an end.

However, if this second singularity would to explode again, they say another universe would be born.
If this keeps happening over and over and over again for eternity, eventually, wouldn't mathematical properties predict that a universe exactly the same as ours would be created, with the same planets, physics, people, starts ect.

Is this theory possible?
Thoughts?

Actually, the law of conservation of energy and the theory on quantum infinite possibilities pretty much make reincarnation not only possible, but will likely happen. This is speaking strictly on the physical level, of course.

All matter is made of energy, so once you die, the energy that made up your body does not disappear, but get converted into other forms. Given that quantum physics allows for anything that CAN happen to happen, it is entirely possible for all the energy that made up you at one point to reconvene in the exact same way without breaking any known laws of physics.

Time is all it takes, and time is relative.
If there are infinite universes like this one, then there are probably infinite copies of yourself. Multiplying an extremely tiny fraction (the probability of you being born and living your life on an Earth like this one) with an infinity still produces an infinity.

Interesting Consumer

2,450 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
Would it matter? If you have neither your memories nor your ego, what is left is only the matter that made up your body, which changes a lot anyway. The theory, I'd say is possible, but the "life" after death would be equal to considering your own ashes being spread somewhere as a new life.

Newbie Noob

Santhor Shin

Thoughts?
Just because a series is infinitive, doesn't mean it's repeatable.

For example, PI = 3.14159..... forever, but it never repeats, ever. Likewise, the universe may continue after it's end, but it doesn't guarantee that it will repeat.
Oowl
I think the statistics would tell you that it's unlikely, just like they tell you life randomly happening is unlikely up many trillionths of a degree.
If you consider life an agent of entropy, then it should spring up as a natural process in any pocket of dense energy, such as a star's light hitting a series of planets. I believe we'll find out that life is plentiful in the universe, and complex life is rare, but not unheard of.

Loiterer

Santhor Shin
So I heard this theory.

Is this theory possible?
Thoughts?

Well, you say "mathematically". Some things do happen just because the numbers dictate it.

but the exact same planets, physics, people, star(t?)s ect.? The amount of times a singularity explosion would have to occur just to make this happen is unfathomable! and highly unlikely.

It could happen if the universe is infinite (i personally don't think so).

Also, "explosion" strikes me as rather violent. Wouldn't a lot of particles in our known universe be destroyed in the act? If not, then just like how raw ham turns...unraw when cooked, (the law of conservation of energy, one state to the next, no turning back some are irreversible, some are reversible(but I hear that as the universe transforms through time, energy becomes trapped in irreversible useless forms), that kind of thing) things will change after such a violent event. Which means we won't have the exact same properties as we do now....ever.

In any case, this can only happen if the universe is infinite, and it may well be, but I don't think matter and energy is. Although, if the universe is infinite, isn't it wrong to assume it's expanding?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff