Welcome to Gaia! ::

Is it moral to replace a functioning biological part with an augmented version?

Yes. 0.38709677419355 38.7% [ 24 ]
No. 0.25806451612903 25.8% [ 16 ]
Don't Know. 0.048387096774194 4.8% [ 3 ]
Don't Care. 0.30645161290323 30.6% [ 19 ]
Total Votes:[ 62 ]
< 1 2 3 >

High-functioning Counselor

17,450 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Tycoon 200
I would be opposed because things like that are not cheap and the majority of people would not be able to have such enhancements. This would cause further problems between the "1% and 99%" Also it is probable that such enhancements could increase the wealth gap by making those able to afford them better suited to gain more wealth in different areas. I don't think this is a issue with our current technology but I could see it being a issue in the future.

Wheezing Genius

5,875 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Wall Street 200
SylverStar
I would be opposed because things like that are not cheap and the majority of people would not be able to have such enhancements. This would cause further problems between the "1% and 99%" Also it is probable that such enhancements could increase the wealth gap by making those able to afford them better suited to gain more wealth in different areas. I don't think this is a issue with our current technology but I could see it being a issue in the future.

An interesting perspective. On this note, I imagine this might be an issue at first, but as with all technology I'm sure it would become cheap enough with time. Agreed though that we are unlikely to see this kind of thing for a long time.

Rationing
We might have a master race but in the mean time things like homosexuality will be outsequenced.

Wait, what??

Hygienic Smoker

6,650 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Partygoer 500
M E C H A N I C A R M
SylverStar

An interesting perspective. On this note, I imagine this might be an issue at first, but as with all technology I'm sure it would become cheap enough with time. Agreed though that we are unlikely to see this kind of thing for a long time.

Rationing
We might have a master race but in the mean time things like homosexuality will be outsequenced.

Wait, what??
yes

Superpowered Werewolf

20,340 Points
  • nuGen Staff 25
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Galactic Domination 200
DarkSohisohi
Depends on how hackable it is, not all that long ago someone found a way to hack a pacemaker which would have allowed him to shock a patient to death.

Not trying to make this thread sound like a plot to a deus ex game but i still find it suspicious that he died a few days before he was supposed to present his findings.

I believe human augmentation is fine kinda like how we can get tattoos and ect.
While issues certainly could come up, there's nothing inherently unethical about augmentation. We already do it to a large degree, my grandmother has a metal knee and artificial lenses in her eyes for example.

Like all technology, the ethical concerns aren't with the technology itself so much as its potential for misuse. An axe is not an unethical instrument just because you could split someone's skull with it.

Fanatical Zealot

SylverStar

They could be cheap, though. 3nodding

Wheezing Genius

5,875 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Wall Street 200
Rationing

M E C H A N I C A R M

Rationing

Wait, what??
yes

Dare I ask you to explain...

IronySandwich
my grandmother has a metal knee and artificial lenses in her eyes for example.

You're nan's a basically a cyborg!

IronySandwich
An axe is not an unethical instrument just because you could split someone's skull with it.

I really like this analogy!

Aged Codger

9,675 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
Suicidesoldier#1
Sure, but it might be unwise unless the benefit outweighs the risk.
Eh, I don't know. Robot arm seems worth it jus' 'cause it'd be a robot arm

Fanatical Zealot

Kaptain K Rool
Suicidesoldier#1

It does seem pretty bitchin. ninja

I might do it if it was absolutely amazing, and the benefits were incredible. Like, 200 times normal human strength or something. 3nodding

Also, if it gets destroyed, you can just get another one.

So, it's easier to get repaired in case of an emergency, and you're less likely to bleed out and die.

Aged Codger

9,675 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
Suicidesoldier#1
Kaptain K Rool
Suicidesoldier#1

I might do it if it was absolutely amazing, and the benefits were incredible. Like, 200 times normal human strength or something. 3nodding

So, it's easier to get repaired in case of an emergency, and you're less likely to bleed out and die.
Fer me it'd jus' need ta' be equal ta' er betta' ta' be honest... mayhaps a little less even. It can be used as a shield in dire situations if'n need be and as ye said repairable er replaceable

Fanatical Zealot

Kaptain K Rool
Suicidesoldier#1
Kaptain K Rool
Suicidesoldier#1

Fer me it'd jus' need ta' be equal ta' er betta' ta' be honest... mayhaps a little less even. It can be used as a shield in dire situations if'n need be and as ye said repairable er replaceable

But if it's worse, than it might not be usable as a shield. Not all electronic systems are inherently hard, or have a steel coating or what have you, which may be too heavy for a regular arm. If it is bullet proof though, than yeah, it might be better. xp

Unless you specifically got a shield arm, though! ninja

Aged Codger

9,675 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
Suicidesoldier#1
Kaptain K Rool
Suicidesoldier#1
Kaptain K Rool
Suicidesoldier#1

But if it's worse, than it might not be usable as a shield. Not all electronic systems are inherently hard, or have a steel coating or what have you, which may be too heavy for a regular arm. If it is bullet proof though, than yeah, it might be better. xp

Listen, usin' a plastic arm that feels no pain ta' block a knife would be betta' than usin' me actual arm that feels pain ta' block a knife

Also if'n it be a plastic one that'd jus' add ta' th' ease o' replacin' it

Fanatical Zealot

Kaptain K Rool
Suicidesoldier#1
Kaptain K Rool
Suicidesoldier#1
Kaptain K Rool
Suicidesoldier#1

Listen, usin' a plastic arm that feels no pain ta' block a knife would be betta' than usin' me actual arm that feels pain ta' block a knife

Well, you could just wear plastic on you arm, instead. xp

Win-win, get to keep your arms, get some protection against knives. In fact, you could just go with kevlar or something. xp

But there's no denying the coolness factor of robot arms. ninja

But in all practicality, you'd need to replace the pectoral muscles, the lattisimus dorsi, the deltoids, and a few other muscles to really get the full function of an arm.

Aged Codger

9,675 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
Suicidesoldier#1
Kaptain K Rool
Suicidesoldier#1
Kaptain K Rool
Suicidesoldier#1

Win-win, get to keep your arms, get some protection against knives. In fact, you could just go with kevlar or something. xp

But in all practicality, you'd need to replace the pectoral muscles, the lattisimus dorsi, the deltoids, and a few other muscles to really get the full function of an arm.
How be that a win-win? Th' knife could still go through th' plastic and hit me arm that feels pain. Th' point would be that th' plastic arm be cheap and replaceable. I don't care if'n it breaks wit' a knife stab and afta' I decide ta' beat th' bloke wit' it afta'wards. I can easily get a new one that'll work good as new. Kinda like havin' an old flip phone. Cheap, does it's job, and not all that fancy, but ye don't particularly cry a riva' ova' losin' it. Ye jus' get a new one
Regular arm? Takes time ta' heal and might have permanent damage ta' it that could linga' fer years er even possibly neva' go away

Replace some muscles? Sure, why not?

Fanatical Zealot

Kaptain K Rool
Suicidesoldier#1
Kaptain K Rool
Suicidesoldier#1
Kaptain K Rool
Suicidesoldier#1

How be that a win-win? Th' knife could still go through th' plastic and hit me arm that feels pain. Th' point would be that th' plastic arm be cheap and replaceable. I don't care if'n it breaks wit' a knife stab and afta' I decide ta' beat th' bloke wit' it afta'wards. I can easily get a new one that'll work good as new. Kinda like havin' an old flip phone. Cheap, does it's job, and not all that fancy, but ye don't particularly cry a riva' ova' losin' it. Ye jus' get a new one
Regular arm? Takes time ta' heal and might have permanent damage ta' it that could linga' fer years er even possibly neva' go away

Replace some muscles? Sure, why not?

But then you lose like, hand dexterity, and strength, and you aren't any better protected. If a knife can get through a hard kevlar plate with a steel backing and a ceramic cover, then you're kind of screwed. He'll just take another stab at you after your robot arm is broken and then it wouldn't have helped.

Also, it wouldn't stop bullets. But it would be nice to be able to replace it frequently.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff