Welcome to Gaia! ::

I have a question for you all. Do you think science might have a peak? That sooner or later in our history discovery and invention could peter out? And we will find that we aren't destined to be the interstellar immortal race we thought we'd be? After all light years is a very very long way away.
If the technology we can produce has some limit on how effective it can be I can guaranty that humanity will be trying to break past that limit for hundreds of years before we concede that we can no longer advance technologically.
Well, we'll all be dead at some point.

Big Member

10,675 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Brandisher 100
Theoretically, I don’t think that there’s a limit to the technology we can develop. The real question is will we live that long. I think the only way we’ll reach an “end” of science is if it naturally follows our own demise.

Sinatin's Queen

The more technology we are able to develop, the further we will be able to explore into our galaxy and into our oceans, giving us more concepts to study and understand.

I don't think science will ever end.

Liberal Noob

2,250 Points
  • Voter 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
Minuo
The more technology we are able to develop, the further we will be able to explore into our galaxy and into our oceans, giving us more concepts to study and understand.

Until roughly a trillion years or more, when the universe as we know it blinks out. Lets hope we develop trans-dimensional transport by then, if the human race isn't wiped out before then.

If not, we could be capable of so much.
I admit I'm making an oversimplification of what science is but basically science is a specific inductive methodology that investigates the empirical world through empirical means.

What I think would end science would be if a new sort of methodology was discovered that could investigate the empirical world, but could do it through logical deduction and be accurate. So idk maybe if someone invented some entirely new branch of math that could answer empirical questions without the use of experimentation, observation, and induction of these observations.

If this were to happen it would be the rebirth of rationalism and the death of empiricism, which would be surprising considering the fact that rationalism has pretty much been dead since Kant.

Newbie Noob

Amarok Anernerk
I have a question for you all. Do you think science might have a peak? That sooner or later in our history discovery and invention could peter out? And we will find that we aren't destined to be the interstellar immortal race we thought we'd be? After all light years is a very very long way away.
There are many "peaks" and dark ages in the history of sciences.
The rational Ancient Greeks could only take it so far, before their methodologies peaked. The ancient atomists were so close, and they never knew it. The Alchemists peaked searching for the philosopher's stone. Newtonian physics was "the" physics until Einstein came along.

There's going to be times when we stall, and we only add breath to out knowledge instead of depth, but I don't think there will be a real "peak", only a stall.

Mega Bunny

10,300 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Jack-pot 100
Science exists because we continue to ask questions.. As long as we continue to ask questions and bring doubts to even the things we thought we were sure of, then science will never cease. The minute we finally settle on one all-encompassing explanation for every single thing, and all 7 billion+ of us accept those answers without questioning it, then science will no longer exist.

Witty Phantom

7,350 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Science will end when there is no one left to use it.

Hygienic Smoker

6,650 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Partygoer 500
Amarok Anernerk
If anything, science is accelerating.

Newbie Noob

Abysmal Glare
Minuo

Until roughly a trillion years or more, when the universe as we know it blinks out. Lets hope we develop trans-dimensional transport by then, if the human race isn't wiped out before then.

If not, we could be capable of so much.
I was under the implication that dimensions are a part of the universe. So unless we go to another universe, traveling to another dimension won't save us.
String Theory in physics might be that limit, since nobody appears to be able to think of a way to experimentally verify it.
I believe at some point, science will become so archaic and primitive compared with what we are able to do, and how we are able to do it, that we may end up calling the new field something completely different, even magic.

See, when you think about science, its got that whole space, time, mass, matter, energy, electricity, magnetism thing going right? Strong and weak nuclear forces, four states of matter, speed of light, newton, conservation of energy, etc.

One by one I think most of this stuff will eventually be considered misguided, wrong, or childlike notions of actual reality, and the implements we use may become so bizarre that to continue calling them science would itself be a folly.

to put things in perspective, our technology today in many fields is not 20 years from half of what you see in Star Wars and Star Trek. Back in the 20th century, we projected it would take us centuries to achieve what we have in decades. Barring natural disasters and wars that demolish research facilities and factories, our technology explosion is happening faster that almost everyone is even capable of understanding.

Tipsy Prophet

6,175 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Bookworm 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
I think we will come to realize that science and many of it's glorious inventions it has brought us has actually brought a lot of harm too. I think we will, if we aren't eliminated before then either at our own hand or natures, evolve to realize that life is more than having an iphone. Science I feel, has already reached it's peak, and is beginning it's decline. A clear example of this is the mass amount of people who are rejecting many of modern medicine's practices. There are a great deal of folks who are going back to natural remedies and treatments. People don't want the latest scientific cleaning formula, they want lemon and vinegar. Things like vaccines that were once hailed will eventually be phased out from lack of willing participants and new research that will eventually conclude they cause mutation and hinder our evolution. As will most pharmaceutical drugs. Science can only be as perfect as the human who is utilizing it. People are realizing that science, as great as it is, is not better than nature. Science will never know what it knows. It will never be able to really do what it can do. At one point formula was the latest and greatest in science, far better than breastmilk. But that too, we are realizing is wrong, and we are shying away from "science" from GMOs and chemicals, and preservatives. People don't really want "the latest and greatest" science can offer, they want the farthest thing from it. I think people are starting to look at science as a monster that was once seemingly great, and has now gone out of control to threaten every aspect of our lives. If science is too reach a peak, then this is definitely it, and I would expect to see a fall of the scientific community in the coming years.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff