Welcome to Gaia! ::

Does anyone know a good website which details the math involved in string theory? Any version of the theory that does not bother me.
Read the book "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, great stuff.
Ryan Duran
Read the book "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, great stuff.

but that is not math intensive
How much math do you know? For example, how much do you know in the way of differential geometry? Operator analysis? Lie algebras?
not a lot but i just want to see how tough the math is?
Wander around this for a while, then.

I'd give you a website of the math involved, but at that point I might as well just dump you on the Harvard math department page. There is a lot of high-level mathematics involved, and I can't just give you a list of the topics directly involved because they'd probably all be meaningless names to you.
If I didn't understand it I would try my best to research it so I could better understand it.
There are too many string theorists out there already. Stick with learning about Quantum mechanics for starters. Though even that can be a slog if you're not surrounded by an encouraging learning environment.
i am trying to learn quantum mechanics but i want to know if i like string theory or loop gravity better
You can't run before you learn how to walk. A thorough understanding of quantum mechanics (among other things) is needed to delve into string theory or loop quantum gravity.

(Fear me, for I am the bringer of inconsistent capitalisation)
please just humor me
Well a good book to start with is "Introduction to Quantum Field Theory" by Peskin and Schroeder (There are previews online). But even better books to start with are "Classical Theory of Fields" by Landau and Lifshitz, "Classical Electrodynamics" by Jackson, and any basic Quantum Mechanics book.
Learn relativity as well as quantum theory if you want to understand string theory. As I understand it, string theory is an attempt to get the two theories to work together. Someone mentioned the book The Elegant Universe. I've read most of it, and it is a really good introduction to the subject. It's really well written and helps you easily understand the basics of a truly complicated subject.
ya i thought that it did do a really good read
Yeah, you really won't understand either string theory or loop quantum gravity at all (specifically, you won't understand the key differences) if you don't know quantum mechanics.
If you want an over-simplistic idea of the difference between them, string theory tries to start from a non-general-relativistic spacetime, build a theory there, and then extend to general-relativistic spacetime, while loop quantum gravity redefines space and time altogether in order to get general relativity to quantize the way quantum mechanics demands. One starts from quantum mechanics and heads towards general relativity, one starts from general relativity and heads towards quantum mechanics.

Since I don't know much of the direct physics involved, I'll just get you started with some differential geometry, which is my specialty:
Two sets of notes on differential geometry that look decent; I haven't had the time to go through them, and I unfortunately can't recommend any books because all my math classes have been bookless (lecture notes only)

Wait, I can recommend a book! My favorite book, in fact: Road to Reality, by Roger Penrose. Note: he much prefers loop quantum gravity over string theory, so towards the end of the book he's a bit biased. But it's a good framework for figuring out what stuff you'll want to know and it is fairly informative. Moreover, it's highly mathematical, unlike the elegant universe.

A general guide to the math/physics topics you would want to look at would be something along the lines of:

Newtonian dynamics, multivariable calculus/linear algebra, something on waves

Classical Hamiltonian/Lagrangian mechanics, classical electromagnetism, intro differential geometry (diffeomorphisms, smooth structures, bundles bundles bundles), intro group theory (with representation theory), intro real analysis, intro complex analysis, point-set topology

Intro quantum mechanics (non-relativistic), more Lagrangian mechanics, Lie groups/algebras, into algebraic topology, intro differential topology, intro algebraic geometry

More quantum mechanics (relativistic), more algebraic topology (homotopy theory, various homologies), more differential topology (symplectic forms, de Rham cohomology, etc), graded algebras, functional analysis, multivariable complex analysis, more Lie groups/algebras (spinors, lots of spinors), more algebraic geometry (modular forms, holomorphic curves)

Quantum field theory, the Standard Model, lots of algebraic topology (tons of homology), lots of differential geometry (Chern classes, Kahler manifolds, Seiberg-Witten invariants, Morse theory), superalgebras, lots of analysis of all kinds

To give you an idea of the time-scale of these things, I'm about at the last set of things I mention, having taken a bunch of 1st/2nd year graduate math courses.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff