Welcome to Gaia! ::

Obsessive Loiterer

10,750 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
I always think about space, I want to live in space, travel space, explore space.

see exoplanets and nebulae(even though they look nothing like the pictures)

and it kills me that I'll never live to see faster than light travel happen(if it can happen at all)

I feel so cheated

Dedicated Seeker

9,950 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Member 100
The part about life on other planets makes me want to reread Daniken all over again...

Friendly Shapeshifter

6,325 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
just wondering... Based on mean radius shouldn't Ganymede and Titan be planets they are bigger than mercury after all.
The idea that life is on other planets is relatively mild compared to some things to ponder in science today.
Iron Ferrox
just wondering... Based on mean radius shouldn't Ganymede and Titan be planets they are bigger than mercury after all.
It isn't about size. The main argument is the fact that they are obviously moons. A planet cannot be a planet unless it is orbiting the sun.

4,850 Points
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Person of Interest 200
Levin Bolt

Also, given the conditions of our universe, I think life on other planets is pretty much inevitable. After all, we are here, aren't we? And there are solar systems out there with conditions far more favorable to life than our own solar system is.

How do you know Earth isn't the height of perfect conditions? Until we fine another planet with life, we only have ourselves to compare to, so for all intents and purposes, we are 1 for 1, the only know planet with the proper conditions for life, and the best planet for life.

For the record, I do believe there is other life out there, but I am just thinking realistically about the current known reality.
Staplehead78
Levin Bolt

Also, given the conditions of our universe, I think life on other planets is pretty much inevitable. After all, we are here, aren't we? And there are solar systems out there with conditions far more favorable to life than our own solar system is.

How do you know Earth isn't the height of perfect conditions? Until we fine another planet with life, we only have ourselves to compare to, so for all intents and purposes, we are 1 for 1, the only know planet with the proper conditions for life, and the best planet for life.

For the record, I do believe there is other life out there, but I am just thinking realistically about the current known reality.

The height of perfect conditions? With all due respect, considering how easily it is to be killed by almost anything on this planet, whether it's by storms or volcanic eruptions or earthquakes or tsunamis or what have you, I highly doubt our planet can be considered the "height of perfect conditions" for life. Sure, we've got a lot of good things going for us here, favorable enough for life to evolve substantially over billions of years rather than being constantly being wiped out by asteroid impacts and whatnot, but we mustn't forget that we're not living in some paradise with everything correctly engineered in our favor. We exist because life repeatedly and persistently adapts, even in the most extreme conditions, whether it's at the very bottom of an ocean in a hydrothermal vent or at the top of a frozen mountain peak and everywhere in between.

Basically, by our current known reality, where life can exist, life does exist, and it springs up almost as soon as the right conditions for life are met in an environment, much as it did right here on Earth. There have been some interesting studies done in the past few years that show life existed on Earth much earlier than previously thought, even in its most hostile early stages of formation, which is a testament to how enduring life can be, even in conditions that would seem highly unfavorable for life.

Also to be considered: We're carbon-based lifeforms made out of some of the most common, most ordinary, most blatantly abundant material strewn across our universe. It's not like we're made out of anything special that can only be found here on this little planet of ours. The ingredients for life are everywhere, just waiting to come together given the right circumstances. And we don't even know what different types of lifeforms may be possible yet. There could be silicon-based lifeforms that exist in conditions we never thought possible for life somewhere out there.

Sorry for the wall-of-text response. The gist of it is this: realistically saying we're the only life in the universe because so far we've only found ourselves is like someone saying the Earth is the only planet in the universe because they don't have the means to see there are other planets out there yet.

I firmly believe that as our technology continues advancing and we keep exploring out into the depths of space, we will find at least some shred of evidence that life can and does exist elsewhere, whether it's a dusty fossil buried in Martian dirt, actual aquatic life swimming beneath the frozen surface of Europa, or chemical compositions indicating life observed on a planet far beyond our Solar System. It's just going to take some time, patience and hard work to get that far.

Alien Lunatic

8,350 Points
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
of COURSE there is life on other planets, there is such a high probability, its silly to think otherwise biggrin UFO's being spotted around here on earth? welll..........idk about that lol. i can't ******** wait until they send that probe to europa to melt through the ice and search for life in the ocean that is hypothesized to exist!!!!
I am very fond of space, thank you very much, but I am more interested about the unknown mysteries of the universe, like are there other universes? Is it possible to travel to other dimensions? What happens at the end of a black hole? Are we alone in the universe (the biggest question in astronomic history)? You can ask me anything about space.
mickel227
of COURSE there is life on other planets, there is such a high probability, its silly to think otherwise biggrin UFO's being spotted around here on earth? welll..........idk about that lol. i can't ******** wait until they send that probe to europa to melt through the ice and search for life in the ocean that is hypothesized to exist!!!!

Have you any evidence? How do you know that earth isn't the only habitable planet sustainable for life? Also, your definition of a UFO is incorrect. A 'UFO' stands for 'unidentified flying object'. Heck, all of those UFO's could probably be balloons, or even aircrafts, but are hard to identify. Your term for an extraterrestrial UFO should be spacecraft. Either way, just because we've seen UFO's doesn't mean we know there is actual aliens.

4,800 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Market Browser 100
  • Trader 100
Levin Bolt
I ponder questions such as these every day. To quote one of my professors:

"This space is not empty; it is filled with everything; we can only see so much, though."

http://www.universetoday.com/98832/other-solar-systems-might-be-more-habitable-than-ours/

Ever wonder if our whole universe is just the equivalent of a subatomic particle of an infinitely larger system? And by that logic, do universes exist in each subatomic particle we can observe, so small that we can't detect them? It's a fascinating thought to me.

I find myself especially interested with the "weirder" structures of the universe, such as quasars and black holes. I agree that life is pretty much out there in the universe, although I don't really believe we're being visited by Martians or Venutians. Maybe Titans, if any. And the larger system reference totally reminds me of the last scene in Men in Black where it turns out our universe is a marble that a gigantic alien child is playing with, along with a multitude of other universes, which in itself is probably on a gigantic planet, inside another universe, ad infinitum.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff