Welcome to Gaia! ::

chainmailleman
Layra-chan
Just to be clear, I don't mean "observable" as in "what people see". That's not a very meaningful idea in physics. I mean observable in the more technical sense of "this is what can be calculated from experimental data."

Also, yes, there are waves that exhibit behaviors that exceed the speed of light. In particular, the group velocity of a wave can exceed c, but that's okay; the c limit is on the phase velocity, not the group velocity. If you can exhibit a wave in which the individual peaks and troughs of the wave are moving faster than c, that's a very different story, but simply getting the shape of a pulse to move faster than c is not violating relativity at all.

C is the limit of phase velocity of 90 degrees. Voltage and current exist at right angles to eachother.

When both voltage and current exist in phase and in a single vector, C is not the limit. Pi/2*C becomes the limit.

Again, current and voltage are group velocity phenomena so the limit of c isn't expected to hold for them anyway. I'm not sure if we're actually contradicting each other here, although I would like to see a derivation of the limit of Pi/2*C for voltage and current being in phase. As far as I know, there isn't actually any limit on group velocity.
And I kind of screwed up; it's not phase velocity either. Both group velocity and phase velocity can exceed the speed of light using various anomalous dispersion techniques; it's signal velocity that is bounded.

Beloved Elder

chainmailleman
I started to realize something was wrong with the way people worship Einstein's theories while completely ignoring experimentation proving otherwise (Sagnac-Morley for one). Steinmetz and Tesla both laughed at the Theory of Relativity calling it a work of fiction.
Nobody worships relativity, neither special nor general. (Well, maybe some of the popular press does, but no physicist does.) Rather, physicists regularly put relativity to tougher and tougher experimental tests. Relativity only survives today because it has survived the toughest tests anyone has been able to come up with.

And it may not survive its current clash with quantum entanglement, at least not without some modification. We can only wait and see.

You need to read up a bit more on the Sagnac experiment. His result was *consistent* with relativity (and also with a stationary aether - he couldn't distinguish the two competing theories), as shown by von Laue two years earlier.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff