Welcome to Gaia! ::

Let me say I am not a astronomer(That's my brothers career choice). I am not a physicist. My major is biotechnology. I posted here before about black holes I have an idle interest in them. Now that the disclaimers out of the way lol. Lets began.

After watching another documentary about black wholes. I noticed that there is one statement that almost all scientist who study it with a passion make, "In the event horizon space is falling faster than light." What if that falling space is going into a new universe? It reminds me of the fact that our universe is expanding and at a faster rate. What if that expansion is due to our universe being fed space from a black whole in a larger universe? It implies that there is a place in our universe where space is coming in. I have no idea how to test for something like that. The black whole that feeds use getting larger accelerating the rate at which we gain space. What if every time a black whole is born here the matter past the singularity balloons into a new universe. Having consumed the space to do so. Just a thought.
Black holes may well be intersection points in a multiverse. Professor Hawking in The Grand Design hints to the possibility that a black hole in one universe may come out as a star in another universe.
Lee Smolin's theory of Cosmological evolution also posits that the interiors of black holes are universes, and then goes further that as black holes (should, in some sense) inherit physical properties and laws from their encapsulating universes, there should be a tendency toward universes with high and/or fast black hole production.
There is some contradicting evidence, it seems, in that this theory implies that there shouldn't be any neutron stars of more than 2 solar masses, and there is at least one neutron star found in 2010 with about 2 solar masses; 1.97 with an error margin of .04.
Layra-chan
Lee Smolin's theory of Cosmological evolution also posits that the interiors of black holes are universes, and then goes further that as black holes (should, in some sense) inherit physical properties and laws from their encapsulating universes, there should be a tendency toward universes with high and/or fast black hole production.
There is some contradicting evidence, it seems, in that this theory implies that there shouldn't be any neutron stars of more than 2 solar masses, and there is at least one neutron star found in 2010 with about 2 solar masses; 1.97 with an error margin of .04.
links to paper?

I can't fathom how black holes becoming universes leads to a 2 solar mass limit, that sounds fascinating.
Vannak
Layra-chan
links to paper?

I can't fathom how black holes becoming universes leads to a 2 solar mass limit, that sounds fascinating.

Originally Smolin outlined the Cosmological Natural Selection (Fecund Universes) hypothesis in a book called the Life of the Cosmos. As for papers, searching the arXiv returned
This and this, neither of which I have read. I actually have very little idea of how the CNS hypothesis works, other than that we can model our universe as the interior of a black hole under some assumptions.
Sorry for late reply. This is why I love ED thanks for the post Layra-chan.

Tricky Conversationalist

8,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Or black holes could just be a void in space, allowing the surrounding space to rush in essentially sucking everything around it to the central point of the (lack of) mass. I wonder what happens when space fills back up and the inertia of space keeps everything converging? Stars need pressure to begin fusion. Heat is a byproduct of pressure and volume according to Boyle's Law. All of the sudden stars have cyclical life as opposed to linear life.

I have a hard time believing black holes are portals to other "universes", or anywhere else for that matter.
chainmailleman
Or black holes could just be a void in space, allowing the surrounding space to rush in essentially sucking everything around it to the central point of the (lack of) mass. I wonder what happens when space fills back up and the inertia of space keeps everything converging? Stars need pressure to begin fusion. Heat is a byproduct of pressure and volume according to Boyle's Law. All of the sudden stars have cyclical life as opposed to linear life.

I have a hard time believing black holes are portals to other "universes", or anywhere else for that matter.
I'm a little confused black holes have a calculable mass, but infinitely small volume. According to Einstein that means you can get infinitely close to it and experience infinite gravity.

I don't understand your second statement reread it several times. Sorry.

What about the proposed theory or perhaps now scientific fact that stars fuse not because the heat and pressure is enough, but the incomprehensible amount of atoms and thus probabilities that could occur via quantum mechanics. Stars have enough probabilities as I like to think about it fusion is an inevitability. If you can throw dice a seemingly ridiculous number of times . Say 3.14%(clever?) chance times a billion attempts. I could go even lower and it's would still happen on some significant scale.

I didn't mean to suggest portals. Just that the space, mass, and momentum goes somewhere. Energy can be neither created nor destroyed. From our current understanding at least. Energy can be destroyed in a black whole.
Another interesting thought.... I think. If stars did/do produce enough compression and heat via gravity to case fusion would they live longer or shorter lives? Is it just in the middle so we never really know. That would suck... lol

Tricky Conversationalist

8,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Heavenly Flux
chainmailleman

I'm a little confused black holes have a calculable mass, but infinitely small volume. According to Einstein that means you can get infinitely close to it and experience infinite gravity.

What about the proposed theory or perhaps now scientific fact that stars fuse not because the heat and pressure is enough, but the incomprehensible amount of atoms and thus probabilities that could occur via quantum mechanics. Stars have enough probabilities as I like to think about it fusion is an inevitability. If you can throw dice a seemingly ridiculous number of times . Say 3.14%(clever?) chance times a billion attempts. I could go even lower and it's would still happen on some significant scale.

I didn't mean to suggest portals. Just that the space, mass, and momentum goes somewhere. Energy can be neither created nor destroyed. From our current understanding at least. Energy can be destroyed in a black whole.

I don't believe in the law of conservation of energy. If that were true, the universe would not be expanding. Also, if you want to get into it I would love to further prove my point in a different thread as not to derail this one.

With my understanding of fluids, black holes are voids, or low pressure zones in the ambient medium/universal pressure caused by exploding stars. I mentioned "lack thereof" in reference to a lack of ambient medium. This would explain how black holes can "trap" light, as light is a wave. A wave needs a medium in which to propagate and if the medium is moving faster than the wave, then the waves actually converge to a single point transversely (light) as well as longitudinally (medium). This also explains the creation of new stars. However this theory is unpopular as then the sun is more like a bubble and must be hollow.

Tricky Conversationalist

8,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Heavenly Flux
Another interesting thought.... I think. If stars did/do produce enough compression and heat via gravity to case fusion would they live longer or shorter lives? Is it just in the middle so we never really know. That would suck... lol

I think their lifespans would be measured in the ambient medium's inertia. This involves convergence and divergence as volumes change.
The expansion of the universe is perfectly consistent with conservation of energy in the modern sense, rather than the sense they teach in high school, in that energy conservation in the modern sense is a purely local phenomenon, while the expansion of the universe is definitely not. As the universe expands, the frame in which you measure things like energy gets carried along with it.

Black holes being a void in the light field doesn't quite work, because photons are bosons and thus don't have any notion of "pressure". Photons pass through each other unchanged and thus cannot exert any force upon each other, so there is no impetus for them to fill "voids" the way that fermionic fluids do.

The standard conception of a black hole has space itself bent so that light, which must travel along the pathways dictated by the shape of space, gets pulled in.

The beginning of fusion in stars is due to statistical inevitability, but the sustaining of the fusion is due to pressure and heat. The chance of any given pair of particles fusing is low enough that even once it happens, that doesn't mean it continues to happen. Rather, what is needed is that there are enough particles nearby that are almost over the tipping point that any fusion reaction will set them off, leading to a chain reaction.
This is the issue behind cold fusion here on Earth. We can get things to fuse, we can get them to fuse in a chain reaction, but doing so requires setting up a high-temperature, high=pressure environment that is hard to control and hard to sustain. It's not enough to simply have a lot of stuff and hope for quantum processes to take over, since then we'd have the Earth's hydrogen fusing at the same proportional rate as the sun's.
chainmailleman
Heavenly Flux
chainmailleman

I don't believe in the law of conservation of energy. If that were true, the universe would not be expanding. Also, if you want to get into it I would love to further prove my point in a different thread as not to derail this one.

With my understanding of fluids, black holes are voids, or low pressure zones in the ambient medium/universal pressure caused by exploding stars. I mentioned "lack thereof" in reference to a lack of ambient medium. This would explain how black holes can "trap" light, as light is a wave. A wave needs a medium in which to propagate and if the medium is moving faster than the wave, then the waves actually converge to a single point transversely (light) as well as longitudinally (medium). This also explains the creation of new stars. However this theory is unpopular as then the sun is more like a bubble and must be hollow.

First off, how exactly does a constant expanding universe break the law of conservation of energy? Secondly, where did you learn physics? Electromagnetic radiation does not need a medium to propagate through. It travels perfectly fine in a vacuum. Black holes can "trap light", as you put it, because the escape velocity at the event horizon is greater than the speed of light. I'm not trying to start a pissing contest here, but where/how did you come up with this information? I've never before heard of a theory suggesting matter moving faster than the speed of light creates hollow stars.

Tricky Conversationalist

8,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Hydraulic Fluid
chainmailleman
Heavenly Flux
chainmailleman

First off, how exactly does a constant expanding universe break the law of conservation of energy? Secondly, where did you learn physics? Electromagnetic radiation does not need a medium to propagate through. It travels perfectly fine in a vacuum. Black holes can "trap light", as you put it, because the escape velocity at the event horizon is greater than the speed of light. I'm not trying to start a pissing contest here, but where/how did you come up with this information? I've never before heard of a theory suggesting matter moving faster than the speed of light creates hollow stars.

Please make a different thread concerning the law of conservation of energy. I will show up.

I first learned about physics in high school, like all the rest of us. It wasn't until I became a HAM that I started to realize something was wrong with the way people worship Einstein's theories while completely ignoring experimentation proving otherwise (Sagnac-Morley for one). Steinmetz and Tesla both laughed at the Theory of Relativity calling it a work of fiction.

Electro Magnetic waves do indeed need a medium. A wave cannot exist without one. A vacuum only removes matter, not the universal medium. Light is a wave (electromagnetic wave to be precise). Waves have no mass.

The hollow star comes from 2 equal forces. One pushing in, the other pushing out. Unless space (ambient medium) can be infinitely compressed, there is a stopping point. Since the ambient medium is void of mass, it is nothing more than pressure. This is akin to bubbles in a soda bottle, the pressure of the gas is equal on the surface to the pressure of the liquid. This also explains gravity as low pressure zones between 2 bodies. Bubbles are attracted to eachother by means of pressure. Why wouldn't the universe operate using the same principles?
chainmailleman
Hydraulic Fluid
chainmailleman
Heavenly Flux
chainmailleman

Please make a different thread concerning the law of conservation of energy. I will show up.

I first learned about physics in high school, like all the rest of us. It wasn't until I became a HAM that I started to realize something was wrong with the way people worship Einstein's theories while completely ignoring experimentation proving otherwise (Sagnac-Morley for one). Steinmetz and Tesla both laughed at the Theory of Relativity calling it a work of fiction.

Electro Magnetic waves do indeed need a medium. A wave cannot exist without one. A vacuum only removes matter, not the universal medium. Light is a wave (electromagnetic wave to be precise). Waves have no mass.

The hollow star comes from 2 equal forces. One pushing in, the other pushing out. Unless space (ambient medium) can be infinitely compressed, there is a stopping point. Since the ambient medium is void of mass, it is nothing more than pressure. This is akin to bubbles in a soda bottle, the pressure of the gas is equal on the surface to the pressure of the liquid. This also explains gravity as low pressure zones between 2 bodies. Bubbles are attracted to eachother by means of pressure. Why wouldn't the universe operate using the same principles?

Alright, then I interpreted it wrong. I thought by "ambient medium" you meant the matter from an exploding star, not what I know as the "aether". My bad. Once we start getting into aether-theory, dark matter, string theory, and the like I tend to just move along. A bit over my head as an aircraft mechanic.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff