Welcome to Gaia! ::

hhmm... im not sure whether dis is da correct place 2 post my question coz i cant find any place better... anyway, how does 1 fall asleep? do we actually noe da precise moment when we fall asleep? n wat tells da brain 2 wake up from our slumber? n... dreams... its a fascinatin thing... can we actually control our dreams?
It isn't a question of why, when and how. Consider this are we dreaming now do we exist in not one but many realitys? What if this was a dream and we can't wake up. When we dream is it our emotions and memories that generate the dreams or the reality we abandon.
anyway, how does 1 fall asleep? do we actually noe da precise moment when we fall asleep? n wat tells da brain 2 wake up from our slumber? n... dreams... its a fascinatin thing... can we actually control our dreams?

Sleep is when your body goes to rest and uses minimal energy to perform the essential tasks. We can assume that once the body goes into the point of minimal energy use we are in complete sleep. Though sleep doesn't automatically figure into dream.

Dream happens when we are in deep sleep (different intervals of sleep time) and we go into REM state (rapid eye movement)

Upto know there are no real scientific reason as to how and why people dream, many argue its all subconcious thoughts personifying itself, but that is still to be proven or unproven and with no facts to back it, it can't be assumed as a theory.

Any case the last part of your question, there is a type/method of dreaming in which you know you are dreaming and therefore be able to control your actions and even the actual environment of the dream. Its called lucid dream. My best knowledge of it is, where you train your mind to constantly check if you are dreaming by asking question to test reality, or for pain.

Example everytime you sit down pinch yourself, if you feel pain your awake, and if you happen to sit down in your dream and pinch yourself with no pain you can assume you are dreaming. Then when you know you are dreaming its assumes you can control your actions and environment. No actual practice has proven it is possible just first hand accounts which can't be backed by any science.
I read a book about this and every month or so I get a lucid dream where I know it's a dream. However, I feel pain in my dreams which is quite scary. It's not like I bang my head in my sleep and my dream has me with a headache, it's like I'm in my dream and someone stabs me, and I can feel the pain, and sometimes it's still there when I wake up. sad
Well I had a sleep test a few years ago after I had a series of fits in my sleep. What I understand from it is that your brain gives off tiny electrical signals. These were picked up by electrodes (i think they are called but I'm not sure) and these showed my brain activity in my sleep. It was during R.E.M. that I had the problems because the electrical signals would go wrong and these were recorded. In my view, I think dreams are when the electrical signals pick up a memory and this could be quite random meaning you get a random dream.
jcmahal
Example everytime you sit down pinch yourself, if you feel pain your awake, and if you happen to sit down in your dream and pinch yourself with no pain you can assume you are dreaming. Then when you know you are dreaming its assumes you can control your actions and environment. No actual practice has proven it is possible just first hand accounts which can't be backed by any science.

Actually, it has been backed up by science. People have communicated complex predetermined signals in their eye movements while in a state of lucid dreaming. The question of whether you can control the dream itself is still somewhat unknown, but it is known that you can be self-conscious inside a dream and can control your own actions in a dream.
pretty cool never read anythign regarding sending signals while dreaming... any link.. I'd like to read more on it.

Also about "de-ja-vu" dreams, in which you have a normal dream, bu day/weeks/months later you find yourself in the same excat situation, same people, same clothign
Kuzuryu Haru
hhmm... im not sure whether dis is da correct place 2 post my question coz i cant find any place better... anyway, how does 1 fall asleep? do we actually noe da precise moment when we fall asleep? n wat tells da brain 2 wake up from our slumber? n... dreams... its a fascinatin thing... can we actually control our dreams?
Hideous grammar!!

Anyways. When we fall into sleep, our minds goes through seperate stages of sleep...I do not remember the names.... But when the body is ready to get up, and un-weary, you shall wake up **only a synopsis**
jcmahal
pretty cool never read anythign regarding sending signals while dreaming... any link.. I'd like to read more on it.

Also about "de-ja-vu" dreams, in which you have a normal dream, bu day/weeks/months later you find yourself in the same excat situation, same people, same clothign

I've found one link...

this one is how an E.E.G test is carried out and works http://www.epilepsyfoundation.org/answerplace/quickstart/newlydiagnosed/qstreatment/qstreeg.cfm this is what I had before I had a sleep test, but I can't find any good links on that.
In my sleep, I sometimes have lucid dreams. Sometimes I can control my thoughts, but not actions. Also, it's cool when there's a TV on while you're sleeping, and it effects what you dream. Sometimes you can hear it.
I've never had a lucid dream, but I always wanted to.

When I dream, I'm usually in a house that's a combination of houses.
skyeryder
jcmahal

I've found one link...

this one is how an E.E.G test is carried out and works http://www.epilepsyfoundation.org/answerplace/quickstart/newlydiagnosed/qstreatment/qstreeg.cfm this is what I had before I had a sleep test, but I can't find any good links on that.

I've taken an EEG test before due to chronic migranes just never realized that it could translate to dream analysis, or atleast never put the two together...
jcmahal
skyeryder
jcmahal

I've found one link...

I've taken an EEG test before due to chronic migranes just never realized that it could translate to dream analysis, or atleast never put the two together...

I'm not saying that they do, just that it might. Perhaps if the electrical signals in your brain are violent then you could be having a violent dream. Theres a lot we don't know about dreams... in fact we almost know as little as the ancients did.
hhmm...well, i've watched a few movie where people who already pass away showed up in dreams to give messages... is dat rily possible??? sweatdrop since
... im also rather curious on how da experiments r done... i mean if ur asleep, then how are experiments done? do u use equipments which can c dreams??? r there such equipments?? ... i dun think so... so how is it done??? eek
i dont dream too often, but when i do i go to all sorts of places. most of the time the dreams are repeat dreams, but i dont mind not dreaming at all. it makes it nicer for me when i wake up so i dont feel like whatever i was dreaming really happened.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff