8,175 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
X_Torric_X
THeSLuSH
Suicidesoldier#1
Boo, try harder.

On a srsz note, there is a spirituality part of the brain that's present in nearly all humans so, even if it is crazy, it's nothing beyond a normal human being.

Wait, seriously?! A 'God spot' of specialization, like the FFA? Do you know where this is reported to be exactly? My guess would be that an experience of spirituality is not localized, but I am no neurotheologist. I have read Ramachandran's work pointing to the medial temporal lobe (BTW Phantoms in the Brain is on of my fav books, but I am a sucker for anything written by both Ramachandran and Sacks) ... although that was not an imaging study and I am sure it is outdated by now, so I was just curious what you know. o.O
Pineal Gland

I see a melatonin secreting gland that has spiritual qualities attributed to it by people who focused on making it secrete more melatonin.

Sparkly Lunatic

X_Torric_X
THeSLuSH
Suicidesoldier#1
Boo, try harder.

On a srsz note, there is a spirituality part of the brain that's present in nearly all humans so, even if it is crazy, it's nothing beyond a normal human being.

Wait, seriously?! A 'God spot' of specialization, like the FFA? Do you know where this is reported to be exactly? My guess would be that an experience of spirituality is not localized, but I am no neurotheologist. I have read Ramachandran's work pointing to the medial temporal lobe (BTW Phantoms in the Brain is on of my fav books, but I am a sucker for anything written by both Ramachandran and Sacks) ... although that was not an imaging study and I am sure it is outdated by now, so I was just curious what you know. o.O
Pineal Gland

Oh but is it all just mysticism from the writings of Descartes’ and the ancient beliefs of the Vatican? Or is there actual psychophysics data that will back these claims? That is actually what I was interested in, not some old philosophy tale. But thanks for letting me know he was referring to the pineal gland, that will help me look into it a little more :3
stealthmongoose
Is it truly the Leviathan scenario as i posited in the M&R, or is there some real scientific basis behind treating the religious as though they're free to be psychotic?

If the majority of religious people were psychotic, you probably wouldn't be typing anything. The world would be a smoking ruin through which dumb savages wandered. But, that's not the case. Perhaps its time you paid more attention to reality.

AcidStrips's Husband

Dangerous Conversationalist

8,175 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
Kaltros
stealthmongoose
Is it truly the Leviathan scenario as i posited in the M&R, or is there some real scientific basis behind treating the religious as though they're free to be psychotic?

If the majority of religious people were psychotic, you probably wouldn't be typing anything. The world would be a smoking ruin through which dumb savages wandered. But, that's not the case. Perhaps its time you paid more attention to reality.

Actually, that's a false assertion of what it means to be psychotic, and a strawman of my argument against those who are psychotic and religious.

The intent of this thread is to analyze the causal relationship between mental illness and religion. One does exist, it has been established, and those who don't fall into the niche of the religiously psychotic are free to believe in and practice what they wish as long as the behavior is not indicative of mental illness.

I take issue with those that use religion to justify the mental illness as something more than what it is. It's fine to be an OCD ADHD individual who has trouble with mathematics because of an imbalance in your brain's cognitive processes.

To claim it's because Satan does it and that everyone should recognize that you don't have an illness because it's Satan is a stupid argument and i think those who propose it's not should attend to reality to a greater degree than i am already by making this thread and debunking any claims that those who are mentally ill can avoid the label due to belief and nothing more.

stealthmongoose
Kaltros
stealthmongoose

Actually, that's a false assertion of what it means to be psychotic, and a strawman of my argument against those who are psychotic and religious.

The intent of this thread is to analyze the causal relationship between mental illness and religion. One does exist, it has been established, and those who don't fall into the niche of the religiously psychotic are free to believe in and practice what they wish as long as the behavior is not indicative of mental illness.

I take issue with those that use religion to justify the mental illness as something more than what it is. It's fine to be an OCD ADHD individual who has trouble with mathematics because of an imbalance in your brain's cognitive processes.

To claim it's because Satan does it and that everyone should recognize that you don't have an illness because it's Satan is a stupid argument and i think those who propose it's not should attend to reality to a greater degree than i am already by making this thread and debunking any claims that those who are mentally ill can avoid the label due to belief and nothing more.

They way you worded it, you seemed to suggest that all religious people were psychotic simply because they were religious. That's what I objected to. If that's not your position, okay. I stand corrected.

AcidStrips's Husband

8,175 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
Kaltros
stealthmongoose
Kaltros
stealthmongoose

They way you worded it, you seemed to suggest that all religious people were psychotic simply because they were religious. That's what I objected to. If that's not your position, okay. I stand corrected.
I admit that i was angry enough to where my initial post had hints of me leaning towards that stance.

I have since reformed my position (though technically it was never stated) to take account for individuals who do not exhibit psychotic behavior. I should have added that disclaimer earlier, but I was enthralled by the nature of posts that came afterwards.

I am now highly interested in the controversy behind this subject and would like to see it discussed further by any others interested.

Shameless Gawker

I wouldn't that it's delusional to be religious but it is unhealthy. It's like being in an abusive relationship; you can't go here, you can't do this and you can't say that or you're going to go to >insert made up name here<. That's a horrible way to live. Most religious people I have known don't really follow their religion properly but it's still a little... unhealthy to believe in something so absurd.

Dangerous Hunter

everything's a mental illness. look up maladaptive daydreaming. basically says having an imagination makes you mentally ill.

we're all crazy. i don't even care any more.

AcidStrips's Husband

8,175 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
polysynthesis
everything's a mental illness. look up maladaptive daydreaming. basically says having an imagination makes you mentally ill.

So what you're saying is that either all or none of us should go to the nuthouse.

Interesting idea. Here, i've already found you a roommate....

Personally, i believe that religion is a result of the need of people to believe in something beyond their known. That means that they are too insecure to recognise the human existanse and the whole world as a fact and a result of a scientific process that the making of a god. Also, they cant let themselves express and actually live because the morals that religion shoved down their throat.
Actually i consider believing in god mindlessly and having blind faith is really naive because all religions were created by someone who is most likely taking advantage of the believers.
I dont think religion is a mental desirder because its a covers a need of people(the need of something greater than themselves) but i think that extreme faith can be a cause of many problems and that people should be more sceptic!

Greedy Consumer

Mooby the Golden Sock
stealthmongoose
Here though, i'd like to ask about the scientific values behind this assertion. We can classify mental illness as neurological, behavioral, and physical disorders, but why would any psychiatrist who bases his practice in science ignore that fact when it comes to religion?

Do you have any grounds on which to diagnose a religious belief as a disorder? Or, can you show that religious belief is not normal function for a healthy human brain?
Is it healthy to be at odds about ones sexuality their whole lives because of religion? Therefore it is proven religion isn't healthy, because homosexuals are hurt because of this when they are raised to hate themselves. And straight people too because masturbation is considered a sin, and puritans used to self-harm to remove sinful thoughts, such as harming people.

I think its evidence enough.

Greedy Consumer

ergative absolutive

if u dont care, that conflicts with your motivation to come here lol.

8,900 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
I have OCD and I use to go to those churches that put there hands up in the air and cry and say devil bad. It affect in my OCD in a way I got scared of devil or thought I got ,essayed from God. So we my family stop going. And no OCD is not just cleaning or taping or numbers. There is more to that. But yeah that is when it's not good.

Hygienic Gawker

I don't have any particular opinion on the question, I'm just checking in to congratulate the ED on having a three-page thread about psychology without a single Intro-to-Psych student checking in to tell us about Sigmund Freud, especially when Freud actually compared religion to neurosis. I have faith in this forum yet

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff