Welcome to Gaia! ::

While I don't understand the math portion of it, from reading about it, it seems like a system that is somewhat like a fractal, but when reaching a certain point, becomes chaotic?

This system makes me want to major in math, after I finish this stint in Surgical Technology.

Can someone please explain this concept to me in lament terms, if at all possible? I am completely intrigued.
Tuaiqs Little Friend
While I don't understand the math portion of it, from reading about it, it seems like a system that is somewhat like a fractal, but when reaching a certain point, becomes chaotic?

This system makes me want to major in math, after I finish this stint in Surgical Technology.

Can someone please explain this concept to me in lament terms, if at all possible? I am completely intrigued.

Here is a pendulum that experiences friction (damping) and a pushing force (drive).

http://www.myphysicslab.com/pendulum2.html

Try the following:

Set drive amplitude to 0 and and damping to 0.2. You should notice the dot on the left (plotting angularvelocity vs. angle) spiral towards the centre of the graph. That point in the centre is an "attractor".

Now set the drive amplitude to 0.1 and leave damping as 0.2. The dot will, after a while, start tracing out an oval shape. This oval trajectory or "orbital" is another attractor.

If you can get the dot to trace out a fractal pattern, you will have a strange attractor and a chaotic system.
It's probably worth mentioning that strange attractors aren't a fundamental property of chaotic systems. You can have a chaotic system without a strange attractor.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff