Welcome to Gaia! ::

Noob

[*Note, this is largely concentrated on a male to female interaction, as opposed to any other engagement.]

Yesterday, I was mulling over my usual stream of consciousness-esque bullshit, thinking mostly upon biological chemistry and how such interferes with the mind and our social behavior. A friend of mine recently discovered a crush, and he's always telling me about how nervous and jumbled he feels whenever he thinks of approaching her and introducing himself; in fear of what her initial reaction would hold. Albeit it may seem a bit far from the original scenario; I had an interesting thought//idea: Why isn't Oxytocin used in colognes and any other popular fragrances for the shy, nervous, romantic and weary male gender? If it isn't, could it be?

I first learned about Oxytocin 2 years ago in my Freshman Health class; and from what I understand is, it's released in females during sexual intercourse and childbirth, with perks for both instances. During sex, it grants the female a strong sense of bonding towards her partner, hinted with an affinity for herculean affection. If I'm not mistaken, it's also released during child birth to spark a bit of natural elation from pain and establish a strong sense of bonding towards the offspring. Basically, I focused on the fact that it connects perceptions of trust, bonding, affection, calmness and the like fairly well.

I'm not sure specifically how Oxytocin is accepted/interacts with the brain, however I believe Oxytocin can be garnered through scent. This is what ultimately lead me to think that the hormone may be great for a spray-able fragrance, once successfully extracted and applied. [Yet I'm not entirely sure, which is why I made this thread XD] If it's not possible, at least it's a great basis for romantic fiction plot-line. -. w -.

I mean, think about it; if moderated to avoid any possible over-dosage, it could be the perfect icebreaker, which would ultimately decrease the anxiety of the wearer, whom may be plagued by nervousness, shyness, and shakiness on social interaction [especially with the opposite sex]. The girl would receive you better, and feel a bit more open to your presence. It could help conversational flow, and if one could possibly attach the scent to something of hers, their significance to her would greatly stick. There's so much more I would like to say, but..

Anyway, the only problem(s) I honestly see with it is that, maybe if too many men use the fragrance, it could overdose receptors, which would severely endanger the very person you wish to engage. xD If those consequences are two extreme, then another I thought is, maybe if a mass amount of men used this fragrance, the good coming out of its effects would be hurt, due to the significance element now being loss. However, I suppose that could be subsided if you simply have a genuinely good character that can compliment your extravagant scent.

Please tell me what you think, because I seriously wish to know why or why not such may be a good idea in your eyes; and forgive me for my lack of better wording in some areas and others. cat_gonk
Note that I've only read the first 2 paragraphs of this thread. The problem I see is an ethical one. How moral is it to abuse a woman's biology without her consent in order for her to be more attracted to the male?

An argument may be made that this is analogous to what already happens in scent masking products (for example), except abusing a different mechanism

Noob

HAGD
Note that I've only read the first 2 paragraphs of this thread. The problem I see is an ethical one. How moral is it to abuse a woman's biology without her consent in order for her to be more attracted to the male?

An argument may be made that this is analogous to what already happens in scent masking products (for example), except abusing a different mechanism

Hmm, I see your point.
But, yeah, I also agree with your last statement. This would just be scent-masking to a different, more potent degree.
Afghanikrish
HAGD

Hmm, I see your point.
But, yeah, I also agree with your last statement. This would just be scent-masking to a different, more potent degree.
Ultimately, if one were to refute the analogy, he would have to make a distinction between the two mechanisms, and describe why one is ethical while the other is not.
/captain obvious
While it could help if you could infuse it into the recipient, it would not make up for terrible personality traits.

Noob

DXnobodyX
While it could help if you could infuse it into the recipient, it would not make up for terrible personality traits.

Yeah, I hinted towards that a bit, haha.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff