Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hilarious Lunatic

America has a serious shortage of scientists and engineers. I learned this while applying to the Mechanical engineering Program at ASU for next year and doing a lot of research on the Major and engineering in general before I did.

What is this? With the way everyone in our age bracket wants to act that "empiricism is everything" and "Rationality is law" WHY is this the case?

In personal reflection all of my super Atheist ( a topic for another time ) rationally minded "scientifically" inclined friends are all in liberal arts majors. I'm not suggesting that the major is useless,( I have a BS in Criminal Justice myself) but I'm just wondering, why are we fronting so much? Is it the ONE philosophy class we take that inclines us pretend that we're so much better then previous generations?
You, as I'm sure you're going to find out more and more, lived in a bubble. In general the generation in college does not really take science super seriously. Perhaps its by effort of the new atheism movement, against especially ridiculous religious practices, that there is this kind of wave.

However, at the same time I often find it's these general kind of people who make the most frustrating claims, and tend to think opinions that involve scientific ideas are inherently scientific and objective... sweatdrop

Distinct Gaian

Tobuketsu
America has a serious shortage of scientists and engineers. I learned this while applying to the Mechanical engineering Program at ASU for next year and doing a lot of research on the Major and engineering in general before I did.

What is this? With the way everyone in our age bracket wants to act that "empiricism is everything" and "Rationality is law" WHY is this the case?

In personal reflection all of my super Atheist ( a topic for another time ) rationally minded "scientifically" inclined friends are all in liberal arts majors. I'm not suggesting that the major is useless,( I have a BS in Criminal Justice myself) but I'm just wondering, why are we fronting so much? Is it the ONE philosophy class we take that inclines us pretend that we're so much better then previous generations?

Some of your premises are wrong, sweatdrop I wish they were true.
Vannak
You, as I'm sure you're going to find out more and more, lived in a bubble. In general the generation in college does not really take science super seriously. Perhaps its by effort of the new atheism movement, against especially ridiculous religious practices, that there is this kind of wave.

However, at the same time I often find it's these general kind of people who make the most frustrating claims, and tend to think opinions that involve scientific ideas are inherently scientific and objective... sweatdrop

Super agree!
Education systems are crap and rather than teaching us how to know, they try to teach us what to know. Science has nothing to do with being attentive during lectures, it's about inspiration and interest in it =3

Buggy Glitch

A lot of engineering programs are very academically demanding. As an engineer myself I can say that you have to really want to be in the program to make that financial, physical, mental commitment involved.

Not everyone wants to take 7-8 classes a term or fall behind and spend even more money on university tuition.

So even if our generation is considered scientifically minded, it doesn't mean they should all be in engineering.

Really it's the age of technology whatever major you go for doesn't have to reflect the generation people say we are apart of.

Distinct Gaian

cool4
A lot of engineering programs are very academically demanding. As an engineer myself I can say that you have to really want to be in the program to make that financial, physical, mental commitment involved.

Not everyone wants to take 7-8 classes a term or fall behind and spend even more money on university tuition.

So even if our generation is considered scientifically minded, it doesn't mean they should all be in engineering.

Really it's the age of technology whatever major you go for doesn't have to reflect the generation people say we are apart of.

Yeah though I would prefer if everyone knew a science, that would help progress be more certain.
Of course a certain number will fail any course.

Fanatical Zealot

College tuition is more expensive and science degrees don't necessarily reflect fields people are in etc.

My Dad was a computer science major yet he ended up being an engineer, my brother got an Art degree but went into engineering etc.

Also we don't really have a shortage.

Problems right now are unemployment etc.
Its because americans like to push details and hard work onto others. We then take and apply the end result, in this case scientific facts, to our lives. We like learning the funner aspects of science pretty much. Science is becoming our new rock, where religion once stood. It's a good thing though. Science is proven facts, it's like real life magic. Humans will always need a rock to help them understand this world. Science is infinitely better for this than religion ever was. Americans just need to become more involved and focused on science. Its our species' entire future, so public understanding needs to spread faster. Thats why Im trying to do everything in my power to support the 2045 political party and initiative. Immortality will speed us away from religious and ignorant ways, and towards a far brighter future ^^

Sparkly Lunatic

How did you come to the conclusion that there is a serious shortage of scientists? I have witnessed quite the opposite.

6,350 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Hygienic 200
The university I go to focuses in Science and Technology, so I am used to having scientists and engineers all around me and at times I tend to "forget" that this high density of scientists is not homogeneous around the world.

A couple days ago one of my teacher pointed out that a great amount of people have never (or have but isn't aware of having) met an actual scientist. It was an obvious yet interesting point.

Newbie Poster

5,350 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
We are advancing technologically but.. that doesn't mean we are taking time to understand the sciences behind what is happening. We have kids in college with access to the internet thinking because they read an article on a site covering fringe science that all of a sudden we're scientists and have valid opinions on things science.

I also think it depends on location. I live in the bible belt. The only "science" minded people I know want to talk about how god made evolution happen or some variation of fringe "science".

Dangerous Lunatic

8,750 Points
  • Cheercrusher 50
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Timid 100
Tobuketsu

I've actually never, ever experienced the bolded scenario. Where I am (New York, not the city) it still seems as if everyone is still under the impression that 'Everyone's opinion is right, blah blah blah, oh science? That's for smart people/for nerds/all stupid people with ego problems who think they're so much better than us."
It's really weird.
burning_eyes

Distinct Gaian

Confound ye flat landers, I want to live in the n dimensional hypersemetrical ivory tower! also the precise use of long naustratic nouns.
I can't help make jokes; okay maybe bad timming for making any joke at all,
I actually find both of those scenarios happening.
it kind of depends on the department,
obvious rationality is not the end all and be all of things not relating to pure logic, it's just encoding once personal preference as bieng objective on the other extreme it's defending the ought right immoral or indefensible and what about intolerant opinions, is any s**t people made up on the spot really worth believing.
what people believe is a bad indication of what to beleive espeically if that is used as a criteira by the very same people to believe something, it's an even worse indicator if their is ultimately no connection to reality at all but it's entirely bassed on wishful thinking.
though If the university does have an ivory tower I'd like to be in it.
of course it wouldn't be made of ivory, for environmental reasons, and because it'd be so increadibly tall would probably be made very tough material for it's mass.
the tower being very old, and thier prboably being many attempts of anti intelectuals to blow up the tower, would also have to, to be have a pretty strong and resistent if not self repairing structure.

Greedy Consumer

Tobuketsu

its because of the educational system that it seems to be having a shortage, it also has to do with funding because without funding learning those skills would be wasteful.

Distinct Gaian

We Are Organisms
Tobuketsu

its because of the educational system that it seems to be having a shortage, it also has to do with funding because without funding learning those skills would be wasteful.

Well I guess that's right if the funding in science isn't availalbe training many scientists wouldn't be a worthwhile excercise, however the skills could be applied to good use in some professions.
unfortunetly however, we don't live in a world where it will be useful to everyone, except as a way of keeping the mind occupied/understanding the world.
Their isn't one universal sollution for everything that we can just look up.
and even if their was it would require use to change perspectives or even dimensions so it wouldn't be very useful for us three dimensional being who like to think linearly, because we wouldnt make it useful. But I digress, anyway I'm deffinetly interested in also studying one of the hard sciences. I think mathematics, I could use maths to make a very pretty constructed langauge it's also extremely useful in what ever field I want to study. though some institutions are political about who they fund it seams, even in their priorities rolleyes , I've heard that from an academic sounds really sad.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff