Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shy Sex Symbol

10,700 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Tycoon 200
in other systems so if there's earth like planets dotted everywhere is there a possibility that one of these planets will have human beings like us on them?

Would they greet us or fight us?
Would they be more advanced?
Would they have had a head start in technology before us?

Speaking of earth, Terraforming other planets yay or nay?

I know someone already asked these questions.

What do you think about all this though are you intrigued as I am?

Have you ever wondered this?

Zealot

is there a possibility that one of these planets will have human beings like us on them?

A lot of people dismiss the idea that alien life would look human. Your typical example is your Star Trek aliens, where they're just humans but with a slight bit different to them- and all intelligent life seems to be humanoid. The objection is based on the obvious idea that life may evolve in wholly different directions on another planet. While this may be the case, convergent evolution demonstrates that certain body plans are so efficient and beneficial to a certain environmental niche that different distantly related animals evolve to be incredibly similar. Take bivalves and brachiopods, or a dog and a thylacine as two quick examples. So it may not be unrealistic to suggest that the humanoid body plan is beneficial to creating an intelligent species capable of creating a technological civilisation. So it's certainly a possibility, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Whether they would greet us or fight us is dependent on their inherent psychological temperance and their dominant culture. While it is conceivable that there could be a violent intelligent species out there, which has created a culture reflective of it. I wouldn't say they would be very likely to be able to work together to ever take their technology to an admirable level. The ability to co-operate and work together is certainly an important aspect in how humanity got to where it is today, albeit a certain level of innate aggression and violence in humans also pushed us. Although, when you get to the alien equivalent of the atomic age, it seems that an inability to settle differences would not end well. Humans haven't gotten too far beyond this stage, we certainly haven't settled our differences yet. And we're going to need to if we are ever going to be a space-faring civilisation. So I do think that empathy and co-operation are key to getting to that stage, which means that a space-faring alien species may be peaceful and friendly.

Shy Sex Symbol

10,700 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Tycoon 200
Dieu des hommes
is there a possibility that one of these planets will have human beings like us on them?

A lot of people dismiss the idea that alien life would look human. Your typical example is your Star Trek aliens, where they're just humans but with a slight bit different to them- and all intelligent life seems to be humanoid. The objection is based on the obvious idea that life may evolve in wholly different directions on another planet. While this may be the case, convergent evolution demonstrates that certain body plans are so efficient and beneficial to a certain environmental niche that different distantly related animals evolve to be incredibly similar. Take bivalves and brachiopods, or a dog and a thylacine as two quick examples. So it may not be unrealistic to suggest that the humanoid body plan is beneficial to creating an intelligent species capable of creating a technological civilization. So it's certainly a possibility, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Whether they would greet us or fight us is dependent on their inherent psychological temperance and their dominant culture. While it is conceivable that there could be a violent intelligent species out there, which has created a culture reflective of it. I wouldn't say they would be very likely to be able to work together to ever take their technology to an admirable level. The ability to co-operate and work together is certainly an important aspect in how humanity got to where it is today, albeit a certain level of innate aggression and violence in humans also pushed us. Although, when you get to the alien equivalent of the atomic age, it seems that an inability to settle differences would not end well. Humans haven't gotten too far beyond this stage, we certainly haven't settled our differences yet. And we're going to need to if we are ever going to be a space-faring civilization. So I do think that empathy and co-operation are key to getting to that stage, which means that a space-faring alien species may be peaceful and friendly.

Very good points, I like how you explained. I was hoping though, that we could take in consideration that there are other galaxies and possibly another universe. I was talking to my boyfriend about this and he agrees on both sides he doesn't think its impossible for there to be life on other planets and can't be utterly implausible for the same conditions to have happened reverse to our own. Thats that whole universe repeats itself kind of thing. He just doesn't think they'd all be humanoid, that they would be some sort of bacteria. Which when he explained, like you made sense. I guess I was hoping that there would be a humanoid species somewhere in our universe or in another universe that wonders the same things as I do.

BUT

I forget that WE were built in specific conditions. I just don't think that its completely impossible for the conditions to repeat themselves. Earth can't be so special in that sense. Maybe it is. I find it hard to believe though.

I'm really hoping on some level that we do figure out being buttholes to others isn't how things are done and coexist with other life forms that aren't our own. I'm basing that on science fictional thinking though. XD Hoping that maybe an alien species wouldn't think we're inferior and wipe us out "invading" our planet.

I also forget that we have to find a more efficient way of space travel.

Speaking of earth like conditions. Is that massive space station being built or what for human civilization's survival?

Shy Sex Symbol

10,700 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Tycoon 200
Kunoichi Pandacat
in other systems so if there's earth like planets dotted everywhere is there a possibility that one of these planets will have human beings like us on them?

Keep in mind that humans evolved to suit a specific type of environment that had a specific concentration of very specific elements under very specific conditions in terms of temperature, geography, other types of animals that came before and evolved alongside us, etc. And given the idea that life on other planets may not even be carbon-based, the possibility that there are other humans like you and me is next to impossible. Would they be carbon-based? Very likely, as carbon is the most reactive element known to us right now. There are more compounds that include carbon than all the other known compounds combined. Also keep in mind that human beings aren't very special on a chemical level. The most common elements found in the human body are also the most common elements found in the universe (except helium since it doesn't react): Hydrogen, Carbon, Oxygen, Nitrogen. Would they be made from the same stuff? Maybe. There's plenty of this stuff from which to form. Would they share similar features? Biiiig maybe. We have a lot of features that has us at a huge disadvantage. Our eyes suck compared to other animals. We can die from our teeth getting infected because our jaws are too small for the number of teeth we have in our skulls. Our skin offers little to no protection from predators and the elements. We're super smart, but only as a collective. And we tend to be violent towards any group that's different from our own.

We have no way of knowing since we have never met any. That we know of. Wooo WEEE WoooOOOoo!

Would they be more advanced?
Define "advanced". What if they're biologically more advanced? Would that count? We only have our own form of technology by which we can compare anything.

Would they have had a head start in technology before us?
See above. Can there be civilizations out there older and more advanced than us? Yes. Can there not be any? Also yes. We don't know. The oldest signals we've sent out into space have barely cleared our own heliosphere (the area that is influenced by the sun). If anyone's heard us, they haven't responded.

Speaking of earth, Terraforming other planets yay or nay?

Before we can talk about yay or nay, we have to talk about whether or not it's possible. Planets are huge. It took us hundreds of years of heavy pollution to change our own weather system by a few degrees worldwide. The resources it would take to a) travel to distant words and the b ) change its environment to suit our own needs would be astronomical. Like...ASTRONOMICAL.

I do keep that in mind but I don't think that its completely implausible for conditions to repeat themselves. It may have been specific conditions that formed us that happened but history does repeat itself and it could be possible.. lol guess that kind of thinking that there would be HUMANOIDS exactly like us is a bit flawed.

True.

I was thinking would they be more technologically advanced (if they're like us maybe not exactly like us now that we "talked" about that lol) Would they be ten years further in cures for diseases we can't cure yet? I know we have no way of knowing but couldn't you guestimate? Open up your imagination but still form it somewhat logical that it might be plausible that. Any kind of "advanced" Different but more efficient kind of advanced. So yes biologically counts.

True

I saw a documentary on the possibility of terraforming mars. I'm mostly excited for the Mars One experiment. I'm concerned that in millions upon million years our solar system will be obliterated and along with that all our ancestry wiped out. I have empathy for people I'm never going to meet because I'll be dead lol.

However there are dangers out there where we can't see them and earth-life could get wiped out a lot earlier than expected so I was hoping if we could escape that there would be a way to survive. Even if we're living in domes.

Zealot

AngieTheCrazy
Very good points, I like how you explained. I was hoping though, that we could take in consideration that there are other galaxies and possibly another universe. I was talking to my boyfriend about this and he agrees on both sides he doesn't think its impossible for there to be life on other planets and can't be utterly implausible for the same conditions to have happened reverse to our own. Thats that whole universe repeats itself kind of thing. He just doesn't think they'd all be humanoid, that they would be some sort of bacteria. Which when he explained, like you made sense. I guess I was hoping that there would be a humanoid species somewhere in our universe or in another universe that wonders the same things as I do.

BUT

I forget that WE were built in specific conditions. I just don't think that its completely impossible for the conditions to repeat themselves. Earth can't be so special in that sense. Maybe it is. I find it hard to believe though.

That's just it though. If you have specific conditions then you can expect specific things to happen. We don't know much about how life began, so we can't really give a good guess as to how likely it is to begin on other planets. However we can at least guess that if there was life then there may be certain things we can expect to evolve. We know that multicellularity has evolved on separate occasions, so that means that the chances of it happening can't be that slim, so maybe life on other planets isn't going to be restricted to just being bacteria. Eyes have evolved many times in the history of life, so it seems that it's quite an important attribute to have if you're going to survive. The sense of smell has also evolved many times, albeit in different ways. So hopefully the odds of life becoming somewhat complex as it is on Earth isn't as far a stretch as we the more pessimistic predictions tell us.

Here's a quick example of two animals evolving to be similar, a Thylacine and a Wolf. The Thylacine is more closely related to a kangaroo than a dog, but because their lifestyles and diets were similar they evolved to have similar characteristics and body plans. So this may hold true to alien life, and perhaps a humanoid body plan (albeit probably with very different internal physiology) is likely to arise in the right conditions.

AngieTheCrazy
I'm really hoping on some level that we do figure out being buttholes to others isn't how things are done and coexist with other life forms that aren't our own. I'm basing that on science fictional thinking though. XD Hoping that maybe an alien species wouldn't think we're inferior and wipe us out "invading" our planet.
I like to think that by the time our technology is powerful enough to find other lifeforms, that our culture and society will also be more 'advanced' in its empathy towards conscious life. We're getting better, but we still have a long way to go.
There is a whole lot of evolution to get to where homosapiens are at. You also have to consider whether there is a god and if he built us in it's image. If us, why not other beings on other worlds?

At this point, there really isn't any reason that carbon based life couldn't develop intelligence on our level. lizard, fish, or reptile people would make plenty of sense. I could certainly see evolutionary changes certainly ending up with reptile, fish, mammal, or other types of lifeforms wouldn't have a large amount of similar traits on other planets. I think a star trek type of different aliens seems very likely. If you don't understand, then watch all of star trek... except voyager.

How aliens would deal with us is pretty much the same as how native americans treated white people or how white people treated africans. How all people treat other people that aren't them or in their group. That's just how intelligent being with emotions work.

The universe has been around for about 13.7 billion years and humans for 400 thousand or less. With the vast majority of our technology happening in the last 150 years, and the fact that we still can't understand how things like the pyramids were made, It is quite easy that an alien race could have vastly more advanced technology, science, and social structure.

Terraforming is possible and certainly a good idea. 1 asteroid and our species is ******** gone.

Lots of people are very interested in this. That's why we have to much science fiction and are sending people to mars within the next 20 years. It's why we map the stars and look for other planets and stars like our own. Earth is the only thing we know of that has intelligent life or life of any kind that we can prove with any evidence. Who wouldn't like to know if there are other places like earth or other plants, animals, or people?

Fanatical Zealot

As far as being humanoid goes, it's possible, but unlikely. When you think about what all it took for humans to get where we were, hairless bipeds, first it took the development of mammals, tree shrews, eating a very specific diet of fruits and nuts, growing into lemurs basically, and then turning into the primates you know today. Then, those primates, basically chimpanzees, then lost their environment, as the deserts took over, and were forced to adapt to the heat and moving on foot, until they found rivers, which forced them to be more carnivorous, lose their fur, and become true bipeds, rather than have hands as feet like chimps. Then, before we completely evolved to suit our new environment as the ice age was ending, and moved back into the cold, we created clothes, spears, weapons and so on which improved our lack of hunting and warming ability, without needing to evolve to do so. Thus, we never had a need to evolve in any specific direction from then on out, and stayed the way we were, hairless, bipedal creatures, rather than becoming the most efficient at running, the most efficient at hunting, the most efficient at eating plants and fruits and nuts, we stayed somewhere in the middle.

Our social behaviour lead to the development of technology, language and so on, and thus later on our brains, when we could produce the food needed to make it larger. So, a lot of crazy and weird stuff happened, from the ice age, to the end of the ice age, to the meteorites killing off dinosaurs, to needing to flee our homes and then being stopped in the middle of that evolutionary change that got us here. They could maybe be like, geckos or something, with hands basically, and be hairless due to their amorphous nature, but most likely they'd be squid or reptile like. Still cool, though.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff