Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dangerous Raider

9,050 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
Cherrytini
Diamonds aren't even rare on earth. Debeer's marketing schemes is what set the prices for them infact pretty much it's common for them to be worthless in parts of Africa since so many people have them. Only reason why diamonds are expensive is because the mines are all owned by one company who sets the market for them. There is a thing called space diamonds, Moissanite. It is from meteorites and is actually more brilliant and sparkly than a diamond and tougher. Diamonds have a weak girdle and can crack right in half, not likely with moissanite but diamonds are very useful for industrial cutting, however now a days moissanite is being used as it also conducts heat as well as a diamond and can only be destroyed by a diamond or another moissanite. On the moh's hardness scale a Diamond is a 10, a moissanite is a 9.25 and is considered a forever gemstone like a diamond and will not crack, scratch or wear down as easily as a diamond does due to the diamonds poor toughness grade due to weak bonding and poor girdle. They are made in a lab grown into crystals from minute amounts of natural moissanite which is extremely rare, only one company in the world produces moissanite and it's not really cheap. Also, this diamond planet could be very flawed, let's not forget the 3 C's cut,clarity and color. If the diamond planet is nothing but ick and a huge chunk of carbon inclusion no big deal. Stars die out and the heat of them burning over time turns them into carbon rocks, so it's not surprising if there is chunks of diamonds in space!

I do agree with what you said, but, at the same time, I really agree with most of these people here, too. There's not a need to go to another planet to get diamonds. There's plenty here. I just thought it was a cool thing that there was another planet discovered and that it's composed of diamond. Though, obviously no one has been to the planet, so we can't know for sure what's on it exactly, but it's still intriguing. Hahah.
ExplosiveTreats
Cherrytini
Diamonds aren't even rare on earth. Debeer's marketing schemes is what set the prices for them infact pretty much it's common for them to be worthless in parts of Africa since so many people have them. Only reason why diamonds are expensive is because the mines are all owned by one company who sets the market for them. There is a thing called space diamonds, Moissanite. It is from meteorites and is actually more brilliant and sparkly than a diamond and tougher. Diamonds have a weak girdle and can crack right in half, not likely with moissanite but diamonds are very useful for industrial cutting, however now a days moissanite is being used as it also conducts heat as well as a diamond and can only be destroyed by a diamond or another moissanite. On the moh's hardness scale a Diamond is a 10, a moissanite is a 9.25 and is considered a forever gemstone like a diamond and will not crack, scratch or wear down as easily as a diamond does due to the diamonds poor toughness grade due to weak bonding and poor girdle. They are made in a lab grown into crystals from minute amounts of natural moissanite which is extremely rare, only one company in the world produces moissanite and it's not really cheap. Also, this diamond planet could be very flawed, let's not forget the 3 C's cut,clarity and color. If the diamond planet is nothing but ick and a huge chunk of carbon inclusion no big deal. Stars die out and the heat of them burning over time turns them into carbon rocks, so it's not surprising if there is chunks of diamonds in space!

I do agree with what you said, but, at the same time, I really agree with most of these people here, too. There's not a need to go to another planet to get diamonds. There's plenty here. I just thought it was a cool thing that there was another planet discovered and that it's composed of diamond. Though, obviously no one has been to the planet, so we can't know for sure what's on it exactly, but it's still intriguing. Hahah.
It is very intriuging! I heard a while back about a giant star called 'lucy' that is light years away made from diamond and wonder if this is the same thing? It's not a planet but a giant star made of diamond that burned out. Astrologist's believe also that when the sun burns out a giant diamond will be left in it's place! biggrin

Tipsy Raider

Richard Branson has already bought it.
It's a really neat discovery! Also the guy who led the team (Matthew) is my Uncle. He recently produced a short video about the technology which helped to find the diamond planet if you're interested. (Click here.) 3nodding
Cherrytini
It is very intriuging! I heard a while back about a giant star called 'lucy' that is light years away made from diamond and wonder if this is the same thing? It's not a planet but a giant star made of diamond that burned out. Astrologist's believe also that when the sun burns out a giant diamond will be left in it's place! biggrin

Astrologists or astronomers? wink

Shameless Heckler

12,225 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Crescent Gazer
I saw it! I could hardly believe it, when I heard about the discovery on the news. But I fear that scientists will find a reason to "explore" the new planet, if only to mine it of the diamonds that make up the planet ):

The cost of getting there and back would be absolutely prohibitive.

And if they did succeed in mining there the price of diamonds would crash, having an entire planet made of it would kind of push the diamond price to about equal to dirt.
That may be true, but the cost of getting there would be pricier than the planet's weight in diamond.

IRL Genius

If we ever did set up a large-scale mining operation there, it wouldn't be for making jewellery. Access to that many diamonds would render them effectively worthless, as they would become uncontrollably common. As such, there would be no possible way to make it cost-effective to bring them back for that purpose.

What it could be amazingly useful for though is heavy industry. For use in drills and such, having a ready supply of diamonds would be a boon to industry.

Either way, there's no way that diamond strip-mining could be profitable enough that we'd wreck the planet for them. Greed wouldn't drive us to do it, if anything greed would try to keep us AWAY from the planet since mining there would drastically reduce the value of diamonds.
Crescent Gazer
needless greed and destroying another planet

People generally aren't just needlessly evil. Also, its 40 light years away. We will probably never get there.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff