Welcome to Gaia! ::

Greedy Consumer

Crescent Gazer
We Are Organisms
Crescent Gazer
IronySandwich
Crescent Gazer
I saw it! I could hardly believe it, when I heard about the discovery on the news. But I fear that scientists will find a reason to "explore" the new planet, if only to mine it of the diamonds that make up the planet ):

Why? It's not like there's any lack of diamond here on earth, or that we can't just manufacture them on the cheap.
needless greed and destroying another planet
that is highly irrational. the cost obviously to mine it would be extroadinary, and to bring it back to earth, this goes without saying. now why would earthlings need a planet amount of diamond anyways? you dont ******** think this through at all. i hope you dont have/get children any time soon.
whether they "Need" it or not isn't an important factor.
whether the need the diamonds or not, humans. will. destroy. it.
just like how our solar system and other planets has OUR discarded waste and space tech that's no longer needed, floating around in it. We're sullying things beyond our own planet, because destroying our own planet obviously isn't enough for people....
stop trolling dork. Think of this logically, how can we settle on planets from here to there? Yu are stupid or trolling. Look at it this way, itll take thousands of years to get there, if not hundreds of thousands, if we can even make it there, and you think we will ruin that planet and a bunch of others when the unniverse and galaxy are so freaking vast what we do is insignificant to the rest of the other galaxies. God damn. Yeah humans arent the best but they are improving in other ways.
We Are Organisms
Crescent Gazer
We Are Organisms
Crescent Gazer
IronySandwich
Crescent Gazer
I saw it! I could hardly believe it, when I heard about the discovery on the news. But I fear that scientists will find a reason to "explore" the new planet, if only to mine it of the diamonds that make up the planet ):

Why? It's not like there's any lack of diamond here on earth, or that we can't just manufacture them on the cheap.
that is highly irrational. the cost obviously to mine it would be extroadinary, and to bring it back to earth, this goes without saying. now why would earthlings need a planet amount of diamond anyways? you dont ******** think this through at all. i hope you dont have/get children any time soon.
just like how our solar system and other planets has OUR discarded waste and space tech that's no longer needed, floating around in it. We're sullying things beyond our own planet, because destroying our own planet obviously isn't enough for people....
stop trolling dork. Think of this logically, how can we settle on planets from here to there? Yu are stupid or trolling. Look at it this way, itll take thousands of years to get there, if not hundreds of thousands, if we can even make it there, and you think we will ruin that planet and a bunch of others when the unniverse and galaxy are so freaking vast what we do is insignificant to the rest of the other galaxies. God damn. Yeah humans arent the best but they are improving in other ways.
I'm not trolling
and I never said it'll happen today or even in 5 years from now
but technology WILL eventually advance to the point where it won't take us so long to travel to other planets, and destroy them; just like how we've doomed our own planet, maybe not intentionally, but because they're HUMAN; a dominating, destructive race
I have my own beliefs for the fate of the planets at the hands of "science". Don't you dare call me a troll for stating my own opinion

Greedy Consumer

Crescent Gazer
We Are Organisms
Crescent Gazer
We Are Organisms
Crescent Gazer
I'm not trolling
and I never said it'll happen today or even in 5 years from now
but technology WILL eventually advance to the point where it won't take us so long to travel to other planets, and destroy them; just like how we've doomed our own planet, maybe not intentionally, but because they're HUMAN; a dominating, destructive race
I have my own beliefs for the fate of the planets at the hands of "science". Don't you dare call me a troll for stating my own opinion
ok humans are gonna go around destroying planets, moving faster than the speed of light to reach them, and destroy them, especially the ones made out of diamond because its so easy to transport all of it to planets we polluted already or spaceships, and humans are inherently evil, including everyone you love, yeah ok. Have fun.

Fanatical Zealot

Um... we could take away less than 1% of this planet's mass and still be able to make the price of diamonds fall to nothing on earth, and literally coat the crust of the earth, so...

Yeah. xp

Not to mention that diamonds won't really mean much when graphene and buckypaper stuff takes off.

We're talking maybe 20 years, max.
so we're supposed to spend billions and billions of dollars and probably a couple hundred years (off ship) to get a bunch of rocks that only have value because of rarity and that they are pretty to look at?

supply and demand. pounds of diamonds for everybody and they are worth as much as any other common rock.

1. we don't need it.
2. you wouldn't make any money
3. anybody stupid enough to do it won't have a ship in the first place.
I'm pretty exited about this discovery!
Those of us who are worried about humans being evil for the sake of diamonds, or just being evil, really shouldn't be worried about humans destroying this diamond planet. Really, the thing to worry about is that we currently have the technology to turn people in diamonds. Not very good diamonds, and this of course kills the person, but diamonds nonetheless.
If humans are in fact as evil and greed-driven as would be needed to reach and strip-mine this planet, we'll run out of people before we reach there.
Amy Reinvented
I feel that I should mention a few points here. One, according to the first result I got when googling "diamond planet":
Quote:
The planet, 55 Cancri e, is twice the size of Earth and so rich in carbon that it holds at least three times our planet’s mass in diamonds, according to a new paper that has been accepted for publication in the journal Astrophysical Journal Letters.
THREE TIMES our planet's mass in diamonds. This is clearly far, far, FAR more than enough diamonds for every man, woman, and child on Earth. Even if we went to this planet and mined enough diamonds for literally every human being alive, it would in no way have any real impact on the planet itself; it would hardly "destroy" it.

Two, the costs involved with building a vehicle that would be able to 1) travel 40 light years, 2) contain the necessary mining equipment and either humans or robots to operate it, and 3) have the cargo space to take enough diamonds back to make it worthwhile, would make this a ridiculous venture and a total waste of money at best. As IronySandwich mentioned, it's relatively simple and cheap to manufacture gem-grade diamonds with materials readily available.

It's certainly an interesting discovery, and could provide new insights into planetary formation and evolution mechanics. I think it would be fascinating to someday visit the planet "in person" to study it in better detail. But mining it? By the time we got there, mining it would be totally irrelevant. I don't think this planet is in any danger of destruction by us.

Oh, and there almost definitely would not be anything living there - apparently the surface temperature is around 2100 degrees C.

If diamonds would be of basic value, then we might as well wear rocks. Excavating all that diamond would decrease its economic value drastically. Nonetheless, I believe it's impossible with our current technology to go to such a planet D:

Friendly Fairy

AquaDivinity
Not sure why you quoted me... I don't think I mentioned anything about the economics of it. But it's worth raising two related points:
1) Even if diamonds were a penny a carat, people would still wear them, because they're pretty.
2) Having diamonds decrease in value would probably be good for industry, as there are many industrial uses for diamonds and I'm sure companies would benefit from lower materials costs.
Amy Reinvented
AquaDivinity
Not sure why you quoted me... I don't think I mentioned anything about the economics of it. But it's worth raising two related points:
1) Even if diamonds were a penny a carat, people would still wear them, because they're pretty.
2) Having diamonds decrease in value would probably be good for industry, as there are many industrial uses for diamonds and I'm sure companies would benefit from lower materials costs.

Oh sorry for being vague haha
I was referring to: 'THREE TIMES our planet's mass in diamonds. This is clearly far, far, FAR more than enough diamonds for every man, woman, and child on Earth. Even if we went to this planet and mined enough diamonds for literally every human being alive, it would in no way have any real impact on the planet itself; it would hardly "destroy" it.'

And even though they are beautiful stones, you have to admit that most girls wear them as a status symbol. As for the industrial usage, I agree completely c:

Enigmatic Duelist

Let them mine that planet. After a few years, diamonds would be as cheap as a grain of sand.

Interesting Seeker

ExplosiveTreats
Did anyone else see on World News with Diane Sawyer that there's a new planet that's 40 light-years away that is composed completely of diamond? o:

Just because it looks this way does not mean that it is true. We have yet to see what is on the planets surface.

Fanatical Zealot

It's got about 8 times our mass.

To cover the surface of the earth in one meter high of diamonds, it would only be about 521.29 billion tons; considering that the earth alone is 10 trillion times more massive than that, it's reasonable to conclude that 1% of this planets diamonds could easily coat the entire earth in 1000 feet high of diamonds, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Genius

9,700 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Generous 100
Monkey like shiny things.
emotion_dowant
Diamonds aren't even rare on earth. Debeer's marketing schemes is what set the prices for them infact pretty much it's common for them to be worthless in parts of Africa since so many people have them. Only reason why diamonds are expensive is because the mines are all owned by one company who sets the market for them. There is a thing called space diamonds, Moissanite. It is from meteorites and is actually more brilliant and sparkly than a diamond and tougher. Diamonds have a weak girdle and can crack right in half, not likely with moissanite but diamonds are very useful for industrial cutting, however now a days moissanite is being used as it also conducts heat as well as a diamond and can only be destroyed by a diamond or another moissanite. On the moh's hardness scale a Diamond is a 10, a moissanite is a 9.25 and is considered a forever gemstone like a diamond and will not crack, scratch or wear down as easily as a diamond does due to the diamonds poor toughness grade due to weak bonding and poor girdle. They are made in a lab grown into crystals from minute amounts of natural moissanite which is extremely rare, only one company in the world produces moissanite and it's not really cheap. Also, this diamond planet could be very flawed, let's not forget the 3 C's cut,clarity and color. If the diamond planet is nothing but ick and a huge chunk of carbon inclusion no big deal. Stars die out and the heat of them burning over time turns them into carbon rocks, so it's not surprising if there is chunks of diamonds in space!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff