Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dangerous Raider

9,050 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
Did anyone else see on World News with Diane Sawyer that there's a new planet that's 40 light-years away that is composed completely of diamond? o:
I saw it! I could hardly believe it, when I heard about the discovery on the news. But I fear that scientists will find a reason to "explore" the new planet, if only to mine it of the diamonds that make up the planet ):
Crescent Gazer
I saw it! I could hardly believe it, when I heard about the discovery on the news. But I fear that scientists will find a reason to "explore" the new planet, if only to mine it of the diamonds that make up the planet ):

Why? It's not like there's any lack of diamond here on earth, or that we can't just manufacture them on the cheap.
IronySandwich
Crescent Gazer

Why? It's not like there's any lack of diamond here on earth, or that we can't just manufacture them on the cheap.
needless greed and destroying another planet

Dangerous Raider

9,050 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
Like I said, It's 40 light-years away. lol. I don't know if we could actually get to it anyways.

Dangerous Explorer

9,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Woah, can anyone supply a link?

Want to know what's depressing about this news though? The minute we come up with the technology to travel 40 light years fairly quickly, the entire planet is going to be mined by some dumb planetary mining company and sold on earth sad And we can't really make it illegal, because it's not even within earth. And if we do make it illegal, it's going to be like poaching - it's probably still going to happen, just in smaller amounts.
Crescent Gazer
IronySandwich
Crescent Gazer

Greed wouldn't be the motivator; it's ridiculously cheaper to manufacture them here. The supposed rarity of diamonds here on Earth is entirely due to market control, and making diamonds is significantly easier than launching stuff into space.
Crescent Gazer
IronySandwich
Crescent Gazer

As Layra-chan said, greed couldn't possibly be a motivator when there are far cheaper and easier alternatives available. And environments are not typically destroyed for the fun of it. This is not an episode of captain planet.

Now, supposing we did have some reason to go and mine this planet into nothingness, so what? I mean, if it has life I can see it being a problem, but most likely it's just a lifeless rock (pun intended) so in that case why exactly should anyone care?

Friendly Fairy

I feel that I should mention a few points here. One, according to the first result I got when googling "diamond planet":
Quote:
The planet, 55 Cancri e, is twice the size of Earth and so rich in carbon that it holds at least three times our planet’s mass in diamonds, according to a new paper that has been accepted for publication in the journal Astrophysical Journal Letters.
THREE TIMES our planet's mass in diamonds. This is clearly far, far, FAR more than enough diamonds for every man, woman, and child on Earth. Even if we went to this planet and mined enough diamonds for literally every human being alive, it would in no way have any real impact on the planet itself; it would hardly "destroy" it.

Two, the costs involved with building a vehicle that would be able to 1) travel 40 light years, 2) contain the necessary mining equipment and either humans or robots to operate it, and 3) have the cargo space to take enough diamonds back to make it worthwhile, would make this a ridiculous venture and a total waste of money at best. As IronySandwich mentioned, it's relatively simple and cheap to manufacture gem-grade diamonds with materials readily available.

It's certainly an interesting discovery, and could provide new insights into planetary formation and evolution mechanics. I think it would be fascinating to someday visit the planet "in person" to study it in better detail. But mining it? By the time we got there, mining it would be totally irrelevant. I don't think this planet is in any danger of destruction by us.

Oh, and there almost definitely would not be anything living there - apparently the surface temperature is around 2100 degrees C.

Original Citizen

7,850 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Citizen 200
  • Member 100
Very nice find for sure. Could be used as a Mining colony whenever technology and space travel gets perfected.

Greedy Consumer

Crescent Gazer
IronySandwich
Crescent Gazer

that is highly irrational. the cost obviously to mine it would be extroadinary, and to bring it back to earth, this goes without saying. now why would earthlings need a planet amount of diamond anyways? you dont ******** think this through at all. i hope you dont have/get children any time soon.

Greedy Consumer

Fe1ix
Very nice find for sure. Could be used as a Mining colony whenever newer technology is invented.
you should worry about colonizing other planets first.

Sparkly Lunatic

Awesome. Maybe when I am older I can exchange the diamonds on my wedding rings for space diamonds emotion_dowant

Omnipresent Cultist

5,250 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
Crescent Gazer
IronySandwich
Crescent Gazer

diamonds are basically useless bar a few Industries

it's rarity and "valuablness" is purely artificial.

It would be a total waste of time
you would make no money as you, your Child, GrandChild, GreatGrandChild and Great GreatGrandChild will be dead before the first ship could get there let alone get back.

So where is the "greed"?
We Are Organisms
Crescent Gazer
IronySandwich
Crescent Gazer

that is highly irrational. the cost obviously to mine it would be extroadinary, and to bring it back to earth, this goes without saying. now why would earthlings need a planet amount of diamond anyways? you dont ******** think this through at all. i hope you dont have/get children any time soon.
whether they "Need" it or not isn't an important factor.
whether the need the diamonds or not, humans. will. destroy. it.
just like how our solar system and other planets has OUR discarded waste and space tech that's no longer needed, floating around in it. We're sullying things beyond our own planet, because destroying our own planet obviously isn't enough for people....

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff