Welcome to Gaia! ::

Apparently I'm a mosquito magnet. I avoid going out in the yard and keep the doors closed so bugs can't get in, but sometimes my mom or brother opens the door and lets in a flood of blood suckers. THEY ONLY GO AFTER ME.

Ok, now I must also be allergic to the bites, because they swell up big and I usually feel a little sick. I've tried hydrocortizone, which seemed to work a little but then the itching comes back quickly and it's unbearable.

I used ice to kinda numb it a little and kinda make it less itchy..

I've tried hydrogen peroxide. That seems to kinda dull it and leave me ok for a little while. Is there anything else I can try that will make the bites go away quicker and provide long-term relief from the pain so I'm not rubbing more of this crap on myself every hour?
Perhaps a topical anti-hystamine?
Well, I know this might be rather tedious and bizarre but perhaps, to allow you to venture outdoors, you should use a cream on your skin that deters mosquitoes from biting. In Scotland we have midges, almost a mosquito but really tiny and they sort of swarm around everywhere in the summer, especially by loch sides. What I use is a product called "Skin So Soft". I don't know if you'll be able to buy it outwith the UK but it's by a company called Avon. It's like an oil that's for your skin that hillwalkers and fishermen etc in Scotland swear by it for deterring them. It works for me. In Scotland, it doesn't prevent the midges swarming, so they're still annoying, but at least they don't bite because of the oily layer the product puts on your skin.

I really don't know if this will apply to mosquitoes, I've never had any encounters with one before! Just a suggestion!

EDIT: http://www.wyrdology.com/edinburgh/midges/avon.html

Here's a link about it.
hey where i'm from i'm no stranger to getting mosquito bites LOL they can be a nuisance. I use something call Ban-itch sometimes when i can't find any hydrocortizone. If you are interested in taking a tablet for the itching I recommend Piriton which is what my mom sometimes use BUT!! CONSULT YOUR DOCTOR FIRST!!! I'm not a doctor yet smile and its not safe to self-prescribe medicine The following is a website about the drug itself-

http://www.piriton.co.uk/Piriton_Allergy_Tablets.htm

CONSULT YOUR DOCTOR FIRST!! The tablet is just another option.

Another thing you should probably do as was said before is invest in some type of mosquito repellent. I have heard that baby oil also works and its not bad smelling as some are lol personally i don't know how effective it is lol maybe you could try it and test it out razz

Mosquitoes breed in stagnant water so cover any open water sources to prevent them from breeding. For more info on mosquito control check this website:
http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef005.asp
shaz_180906
hey where i'm from i'm no stranger to getting mosquito bites LOL they can be a nuisance. I use something call Ban-itch sometimes when i can't find any hydrocortizone. If you are interested in taking a tablet for the itching I recommend Piriton which is what my mom sometimes use BUT!! CONSULT YOUR DOCTOR FIRST!!! I'm not a doctor yet smile and its not safe to self-prescribe medicine The following is a website about the drug itself-

http://www.piriton.co.uk/Piriton_Allergy_Tablets.htm

CONSULT YOUR DOCTOR FIRST!! The tablet is just another option.

Another thing you should probably do as was said before is invest in some type of mosquito repellent. I have heard that baby oil also works and its not bad smelling as some are lol personally i don't know how effective it is lol maybe you could try it and test it out razz

Mosquitoes breed in stagnant water so cover any open water sources to prevent them from breeding. For more info on mosquito control check this website:
http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef005.asp
We got baby oil but that stuff leaves you all greasy and stuff. = I can't go out in public looking like that. Everything I touch would have greasy fingerprints. gonk
ninja From the looks of things American made products are crap.

Familiar Flatterer

Okay, I recommend:

• Increasing your vitamin B6 content in your diet, it is known to reduce the attraction of little nasties to biting you. Marmite or normal B vits will help.

• Try antihistamines as a preventative measures, those such as Cetirizine (Zirtek) and Loperarmide (Claratin) are pretty good to prevent bites from getting bad. But its one a day even if you dont get bit, for best results.

• Try hydrocortisone but with some emolient or itch reducing formula. Try something called HC45 (which is E45 but with hydrocortisone) or Eurax, which has a nice anti-itch chemical. That is when you get bit. Anything with Hydrocortisone is twice a day thinly, Eurax (normal) is three times a day.

• Dont use Hydrogen peroxide, it can further attract biting. Instead, citronella oil
Dr Dimari
Okay, I recommend:

• Increasing your vitamin B6 content in your diet, it is known to reduce the attraction of little nasties to biting you. Marmite or normal B vits will help.

• Try antihistamines as a preventative measures, those such as Cetirizine (Zirtek) and Loperarmide (Claratin) are pretty good to prevent bites from getting bad. But its one a day even if you dont get bit, for best results.

• Try hydrocortisone but with some emolient or itch reducing formula. Try something called HC45 (which is E45 but with hydrocortisone) or Eurax, which has a nice anti-itch chemical. That is when you get bit. Anything with Hydrocortisone is twice a day thinly, Eurax (normal) is three times a day.

• Dont use Hydrogen peroxide, it can further attract biting. Instead, citronella oil
ninja Imma pill pop those vitamin B's for the rest of my life.
Dr Dimari
Okay, I recommend:

Actually according to the Centre for Disease Control and protection [ http://www.cdc.gov/ ] vitamin B6 is not effective in preventing mosquito bites as well as all those "ultrasonic" devices.
if you're looking for a repellent try something with DEET (N,N-diethyl-m-toluamide) or Picaridin (KBR 3023) in it. Check your local pharmacy. When in doubt there is always the internet biggrin
Ok.. vitamin B, DEET, and allergy meds..
Medabots Robattle Referee
Ok.. vitamin B, DEET, and allergy meds..

LOL yup yup that should have you covered biggrin vitamin B is good for you even if it doesn't help prevent mosquito bites biggrin
What you should first do, instead of dosing yourself with anti-histaminics, is to prevent the mosquito's bites...

First, it seems that people that have a "sugared" blood attract more easily mosquitos, so maybe you could begin by this.
Also, the lactic acid secreted in sweat attracts mosquitos.

Second, mosquitos are attracted by heatness and thin skins (because they can bite more easily): you should thus protect the areas of your body where the skin is really thin (i.e neck, etc).

And finally, citronella oil, as said before, is quite repulsive.

You should also sleep with a mosquito-net.

Oh, and just by the way, where do you live?
MonOstatos
What you should first do, instead of dosing yourself with anti-histaminics, is to prevent the mosquito's bites...

First, it seems that people that have a "sugared" blood attract more easily mosquitos, so maybe you could begin by this.
Also, the lactic acid secreted in sweat attracts mosquitos.

Second, mosquitos are attracted by heatness and thin skins (because they can bite more easily): you should thus protect the areas of your body where the skin is really thin (i.e neck, etc).

And finally, citronella oil, as said before, is quite repulsive.

You should also sleep with a mosquito-net.

Oh, and just by the way, where do you live?
In the north east, USA.. we moved to this like.. suburban area.. gonk
Medabots Robattle Referee
In the north east, USA.. we moved to this like.. suburban area.. gonk

Maybe you live in a swamp, or humid zone too? Even though it doesn't seem so likely XD

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff