Welcome to Gaia! ::

I think the mind is a pattern of impulses, or something along those lines, something which can be copied, created, destroyed, maintained, modified etc
MachineMuse

If you're not looking for a deep or vast answer, then why complain about it being vague?

Because he answered it, then his next answers would be different. First he answered X-Ray brain. Then I said brain and mind are two different things. Then gave me excuses like "I thought you mean physical brain." Which I didn't ask anything about brain either. And keep changing topics rather than answering the answer.
Xray, CT, and MRI all show images of the physical brain. There are, however some kinds of imaging that show brain activity, sort of like how infrared or night vision goggles can show heat rather than physical forms we usually see with our eyes.

The most well known of these is called fMRI [functional magnetic resolution imaging].

The Center for Consciousness Studies in New Mexico, US has experts from all over the world that meet and discuss their findings on just this subject twice yearly. It's a fascinating subject and some of the regulars have written books and interesting articles that you might enjoy.

Questions that might interest you:
1. How do people have memories from when they were clinically dead or in comas?
2. What is the mind doing when we are technically unconscious? asleep or under anesthesia or in a deep trance or after a concussion?
3. Certain areas of the mind consistently light up on fMRI when traditional healers are focusing on healing people.... what is actually going on?
4. Is quantum brain biology even relevant to consciousness?

As an empath, telepath and healer... and a nurse and person with a brain tumor, the questions of mind and brain are very interesting to me. Best wishes on your quest for more knowledge. It's a fun journey.

Friendly Lunatic

bandaidd

'Clinically dead' doesn't mean there's no brain activity, only that they're not breathing and there's no heartbeat. The brain starts to get damaged after about 30 seconds without bloodflow, but it takes a lot longer for it to be completely unrecoverable. And if your brain is especially healthy in certain ways - e.g. if you meditate regularly, or do a lot of thinky work - then a person has a good chance of recovery.

In other words: it's no different from any other non-conscious state. As for why there are memories... I'll answer that in your next question.

bandaidd
2. What is the mind doing when we are technically unconscious? asleep or under anesthesia or in a deep trance or after a concussion?

Tons! Did you know you burn more calories when you're sleeping than when you're watching TV?

Some AI research has shown that, contrary to what we see in the movies, even an artificial intelligence needs sleep, because even with a fast enough processor, you can't be constantly reworking your model of the world So the AI would get backed up and just run slower and slower until it couldn't react effectively to its environment anymore. Sound familiar? Maybe a bit like a sleep-deprived human? razz

So what they did was give the AI a 'sleep' command which would shut off its flow of external information and let it process its memories from the day into 'concepts' and 'rules'. Once it finished, it would 'wake' and have a much cleaner and smoother way of reacting and working through the challenges of being essentially a fully artificial lab rat. It could still make small adjustments to meet the various demands, but to learn a completely new and unprecedented task, it would have to do a lot of trial and error and then sleep on it - just like a natural organism.

Now, back to humans. When someone's in a coma but with preserved mental faculties, it usually means there's some sort of damage to the circuitry that controls the sleep/wake cycle. As you can imagine, that can result in some odd phenomena when the part that measures how rested you are says 'okay! We're ready! wake up!' but the part that actually wakes you up is running on a telegram with half the letters missing. So you get this incomplete signal going to various parts of the brain, some of them wake up and others don't, and you wind up in this weird state where some parts are active in an 'awake' state but others are still dreaming. They can even be different senses, so you might be hearing normally but still dreaming in terms of vision and proprioception, which your rational mind looks at and does its best to put it together into something like, say, an out-of-body experience. smile

bandaidd
3. Certain areas of the mind consistently light up on fMRI when traditional healers are focusing on healing people.... what is actually going on?

I'm not sure. That sounds really interesting. I've done a bit of lightwork myself and I know it has an impact on me when I do it, but I'd be thrilled to see if there's been actual scientific studies with proper controls done on external targets of it. Do you have a link?

bandaidd

Honestly... I doubt it. Even at the chemical level, everything about the way neurobiology has evolved is designed to mitigate the randomness that occurs in nature at that scale. Synapses work to take a highly chaotic event (dumping a bunch of neurotransmitters) into a significant, consistent, and predictable sequence of reactions (action potential). There is so much averaging and law-of-large-numbers-ing and high-frequency pulsing that quantum effects can't account for more than a negligible amount of activity.

bandaidd
As an empath, telepath and healer... and a nurse and person with a brain tumor, the questions of mind and brain are very interesting to me. Best wishes on your quest for more knowledge. It's a fun journey.

Best wishes to you, too smile
MachineMuse
bandaidd

'Clinically dead' doesn't mean there's no brain activity, only that they're not breathing and there's no heartbeat. The brain starts to get damaged after about 30 seconds without bloodflow, but it takes a lot longer for it to be completely unrecoverable. And if your brain is especially healthy in certain ways - e.g. if you meditate regularly, or do a lot of thinky work - then a person has a good chance of recovery.

In other words: it's no different from any other non-conscious state. As for why there are memories... I'll answer that in your next question.

bandaidd

Tons! Did you know you burn more calories when you're sleeping than when you're watching TV?

Some AI research has shown that, contrary to what we see in the movies, even an artificial intelligence needs sleep, because even with a fast enough processor, you can't be constantly reworking your model of the world So the AI would get backed up and just run slower and slower until it couldn't react effectively to its environment anymore. Sound familiar? Maybe a bit like a sleep-deprived human? razz

So what they did was give the AI a 'sleep' command which would shut off its flow of external information and let it process its memories from the day into 'concepts' and 'rules'. Once it finished, it would 'wake' and have a much cleaner and smoother way of reacting and working through the challenges of being essentially a fully artificial lab rat. It could still make small adjustments to meet the various demands, but to learn a completely new and unprecedented task, it would have to do a lot of trial and error and then sleep on it - just like a natural organism.

Now, back to humans. When someone's in a coma but with preserved mental faculties, it usually means there's some sort of damage to the circuitry that controls the sleep/wake cycle. As you can imagine, that can result in some odd phenomena when the part that measures how rested you are says 'okay! We're ready! wake up!' but the part that actually wakes you up is running on a telegram with half the letters missing. So you get this incomplete signal going to various parts of the brain, some of them wake up and others don't, and you wind up in this weird state where some parts are active in an 'awake' state but others are still dreaming. They can even be different senses, so you might be hearing normally but still dreaming in terms of vision and proprioception, which your rational mind looks at and does its best to put it together into something like, say, an out-of-body experience. smile

bandaidd

I'm not sure. That sounds really interesting. I've done a bit of lightwork myself and I know it has an impact on me when I do it, but I'd be thrilled to see if there's been actual scientific studies with proper controls done on external targets of it. Do you have a link?

bandaidd

Honestly... I doubt it. Even at the chemical level, everything about the way neurobiology has evolved is designed to mitigate the randomness that occurs in nature at that scale. Synapses work to take a highly chaotic event (dumping a bunch of neurotransmitters) into a significant, consistent, and predictable sequence of reactions (action potential). There is so much averaging and law-of-large-numbers-ing and high-frequency pulsing that quantum effects can't account for more than a negligible amount of activity.

bandaidd

Best wishes to you, too smile

Thank you! Sounds like you've been doing your research. I'm impressed. I've actually met some of the guys that put on the UNM conference and have presented there. It is lots of fun hanging out with people who spend their time exploring the "science" of the mind. My work has been more with archetypal symbol, synchronicity/intuition and dreamwork. I hope to be able to return again and present next time they are in the US.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games