Welcome to Gaia! ::

Liberal Friend

I don't claim to know anything about trigonometry. I think this is a trigonometry problem, or a physics one. I have a question about running up an incline. Say someone could run 411.6 m/s (1.2 times the speed of sound) and he is running up an incline at 45 degrees. Wolfram|Alpha says the acceleration for the normal force, I think, is 4.15779. (I'm doing this from memory.) Would there need to be an increase in acceleration, or would the speed be so high that it wouldn't matter?
Mea quidem sententia
I don't claim to know anything about trigonometry. I think this is a trigonometry problem, or a physics one. I have a question about running up an incline. Say someone could run 411.6 m/s (1.2 times the speed of sound) and he is running up an incline at 45 degrees. Wolfram|Alpha says the acceleration for the normal force, I think, is 4.15779. (I'm doing this from memory.) Would there need to be an increase in acceleration, or would the speed be so high that it wouldn't matter?

Its a physics problem, but much of physics is trig.

The speed always matters. What you have to consider is the amount of motion that is perpendicular and parallel to the gravitational force. SIN(45) degrees is your amount of motion going up, and COS(45 degrees) is the amount of motion you're going laterally.

The motion upwards experiences deceleration due to gravity acting in the opposite direction. You can't maintain a constant velocity when there is a net force on you, therefore, you will need to find a way to force yourself upwards to maintain your velocity.

Now, the point is that you want to stay at the same speed, so you of course don't need to increase you speed. You simply need to provide a force upwards

Beloved Guildsman

3,550 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Contributor 150
  • Friendly 100
Force is defined as scalar mass times vector acceleration. In the case of gravity near the Earth's surface, the value for standard gravity (~9.8 m/s^2 or ~32.17 ft/s^2) is used for vector acceleration. Technically, the force of gravity decreases as the distance increases as shown in Newton's universal law of gravitation.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

The big G is the gravitational constant. So what this says is that gravitation force is proportional to the product of two point masses over their distance between each other squared. As mass increases, so does force; but as distance increases, force decreases. So since being on a higher point of an inclined plane will put you higher above the Earth's surface, the gravity will decrease. But, because the Earth is so frikkin huge in comparison to your puny body, the decrease is so miniscule that we can ignore it. This is why we use standard gravity.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

In the above image is shown an incline plane with a box on it. The force due to gravity is pointing downward from the box. This direction isn't very useful to us though, so we split the vector into two separate components, parallel and perpendicular, using trigonometry. You'll find that their values will add up to the gravitational force experienced by the object. Now, opposite the perpendicular force is the normal force. The normal force is caused by Pauli repulsion of the contacting surfaces. This force is equal to the perpendicular force in this case because if it weren't then either the object will weaken the integrity of the inclined plane, falling through, or the object will bounce upward. Since these forces are equal, they cancel out. What we're left with is the parallel component of the gravitational force. Therefore, the force of the purple vector ought to be equal to the parallel component vector to keep a constant velocity. If there is no initial velocity, the object will stay in place. Frictional forces also contribute to the purple vector. The force due to friction is simply the coefficient of friction times the normal force. This coefficient is often different for static and kinetic objects.

Gaian

6,700 Points
  • Member 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
Mea quidem sententia
nope only more energy

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces