Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Genius

How do you prove that
User Image
?

I tried starting with the series of arcsin x (which is pretty standard), then squaring it, but what I got is a convolution that I can't quite simplify.

A nudge in the right direction would be helpful. smile

As an aside, I really wish Gaia's devs would, if not add LaTeX support, at least fix the BBCode parser. But we all know how that went. >.<

Dapper Citizen

What! This would be easier with integrals haha

Dapper Genius

Lord Tourettes
What! This would be easier with integrals haha
I've tried differentiating/integrating it, too, in the hope of finding an easy series, but had no luck whatsoever; there is still a lingering product of two terms with distinct series. sad

Perhaps I should discuss the motivation of this problem; yes, indeed, it came from an integral that popped into my head on Christmas Eve.

The integral was User Image

This integral is doable without said series expansion. Sketch of a solution: Use a partial fraction decomposition to break it into two equal integrals, and each of these integrals can be done with a bit of Maclaurin series manipulation. :3

However, an alternate approach is to use the Maclaurin series of log(1 - y), where y = x(1 - x); what you get is a linear combination of Beta integrals that conveniently sums up to a multiple of the given series evaluated at x = 1/2.

Thing is, while also I got it using this formula, I saw this said formula on some paper that I can't find anymore (I saved it to my PC years ago, then my hard disk crashed), so I can't find the proof.
You can get the series for (asin(x))^2 by [differentiating and then multiplying by sqrt(1-x^2)] twice. That gives you 2 on the left and some series on the right which you can extract a recurrence relation from by matching coefficients. No series multiplication needed.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff