Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Reveler

I believe in astrology. This thread is to explain to me why I'm stupid.
Avgvsto
There has been no scientific proposal for how planets and stars effect the human body or brain. Your pillow puts more gravitational force on your body than any star does. The other forces don't act on such a long range.

Further, there's a 13th constellation not many know about.
and if you actually use an astronomical program to see where the sun rose on your birthday, you'd find you weren't born in the constellation that your normal astronomical sign would suggest.

So far I haven't heard one way in which astrology COULD be true. The only "proof" people seem to have walks the line of confirmation bias every single time.

Dapper Reveler

Vannak
Avgvsto
There has been no scientific proposal for how planets and stars effect the human body or brain. Your pillow puts more gravitational force on your body than any star does. The other forces don't act on such a long range.

and if you actually use an astronomical program to see where the sun rose on your birthday, you'd find you weren't born in the constellation that your normal astronomical sign would suggest.

So far I haven't heard one way in which astrology COULD be true. The only "proof" people seem to have walks the line of confirmation bias every single time.
If you have friends you should find out their zodiacs and then match them with their stereotypes. So far (even though I'm still pretty much a skeptic) about 13 people have almost matched these stereotypes perfectly.
Avgvsto
Vannak
Avgvsto

If you have friends you should find out their zodiacs and then match them with their stereotypes. So far (even though I'm still pretty much a skeptic) about 13 people have almost matched these stereotypes perfectly.

Are they asked to confirm a zodiac sign or to pick the best fit from several unidentified stereotypes?
What should be the first question regarding astrology: where are you getting your horoscopes/readings from? These days I get all of mine from the Onion, but other people prefer other sources which manage to differ quite a bit from the ones I read despite looking at the same sky. You'd think that a field like astrology, which has been around for centuries, would be able to put out a more unified set of readings, but apparently not?

Eloquent Sophomore

8,975 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Signature Look 250
Avgvsto

Stupidity is relative. Given how slowly this forum moves, apparently, you're not stupid, since nobody has yet realized that you weren't being serious.

Eloquent Sophomore

8,975 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Signature Look 250
Avgvsto
Vannak
Avgvsto

Pick out 12 new guys, and copy the "stereotype" of any one of the 12 zodiac constellations. See how many feel that they match. (Hint: It'll be more than 10)

Dapper Reveler

Exoth XIII
Avgvsto

Stupidity is relative. Given how slowly this forum moves, apparently, you're not stupid, since nobody has yet realized that you weren't being serious.
Honestly, there is a pretty small part of me that believes in this. The field of astronomy and physics was originally interrelated with most all of the sciences and though maybe something of a pseudo science its quite interesting to me. The first sort of people that predicted weather patterns, for instance, were astronomers and I'm not to sure why they couldn't use those predictions in some small form for predicting human development. Astronomy was essentially the ancient field of developing a sense of where we are at in the universe and predicting where we are relative to the universe and what that means relative to the earth's patterns, since we are part of the earth, our body was food and our breath is the wind, we are a relative part of the material world as well. It is similar to predicting human weather basically, and it makes some sense if it is at all believable. If you can understand your relative time and place in the universe and if we can have any sort of solid knowledge on this, it should hypothetically be possible to predict how that person is effected by their location in time in space.

Basically, if you know what kind of cultures your milk is going into, you have a much better understanding of what kind of cheese you're going to get.

Now I must clarify. Currently I do not believe in any of this at all scientifically, I refuse to call it ludicrous or logically reasonable until I read up on it a lot and why scientists today call it pseudo science. However, i believe in it superstitiously, mainly because I think I'm extremely close in stereotype to a Taurus and my brother whom I know probably better than himself seems extremely similar to a leo.

Dapper Reveler

Vannak
This is pretty inconsequential. Under my understanding of physics the pillow would have a hard time existing if the sun had been created a couple million miles closer to the earth. It's not s much we're supposed to be directly fluctuated by the stars gravitational pulls but everything is supposed to be relatively proper according to physics and if a star moves so does a relative physical assortment of gravitational pulls. Astrology is like trying to look at the universe as a puzzle and trying to fit our planet in as the missing puzzle piece.

Vannak
I've heard about this, I'm not to sure about any of it. I'm not at all well read in this subject yet.

Vannak
I don't think it calls itself true anyway. It's much like science, it's theoretic. As I said, I'm not to well read on the subject but as I'm pretty sure it was an ancient science that was dismissed, it probably underwent the same sorts process that modern science does and hardly calls itself infallible. Further, when someone is describing themselves on a pretty personal and at times derogatory level I tend to believe them.
Avgvsto
Vannak
This is pretty inconsequential. Under my understanding of physics the pillow would have a hard time existing if the sun had been created a couple million miles closer to the earth. It's not s much we're supposed to be directly fluctuated by the stars gravitational pulls but everything is supposed to be relatively proper according to physics and if a star moves so does a relative physical assortment of gravitational pulls. Astrology is like trying to look at the universe as a puzzle and trying to fit our planet in as the missing puzzle piece.

Vannak
I've heard about this, I'm not to sure about any of it. I'm not at all well read in this subject yet.

Vannak
I don't think it calls itself true anyway. It's much like science, it's theoretic. As I said, I'm not to well read on the subject but as I'm pretty sure it was an ancient science that was dismissed, it probably underwent the same sorts process that modern science does and hardly calls itself infallible. Further, when someone is describing themselves on a pretty personal and at times derogatory level I tend to believe them.

I don't understand what you're trying to say with your first comment. Fluffing your pillow will do more to change the assortment of forces on your head than any arrangement of stars. I really have no idea what you mean by "relatively proper". I'm a physics graduate student (whose work deals mostly with astronomy) and I've literally never heard the term before, used in this way. Its also important to note that even when the stars aren't in the sky, you're still being effected by them. They don't "Move", and astrology only makes sense if you think stars "go somewhere" during the day.

The 13th constellation is called Ophiuchus. Currently the sun rises in Ophiuchus around december/january. When the Zodiac was created, this would have been a late November / early December constellation.

On your last comment. Let me be perfectly clear. There is no such thing as ancient science. Science, to the layman, is a set of knowledge we got by tinkering with ideas new and old. This is completely wrong. Science is a process, and a process which was not formalized until a specific time, usually credited somewhere around the 18th century or so.

This isn't to say knowledge was impossible before science, but knowledge about things that are outside the range of human experience was. That is, anything that took longer than a life time (such as Tectonic shift), was too small to see (germ theory of disease) or was too far away to see (astronomy), were all outside the realm of knowledge to people back then. To understand something you can't see directly requires science, and ancient knowledge is no exception, and no alternative.

Here's why. Science is about figuring out what is not true, and formulating theories based on what remains. Other forms of knowledge were based on validating ideas. The issue with validating an idea is that with out trying to falsify it, you run into a lot of murky issues. For instance, if you give someone their horoscope, say, Scorpio, and they agree it resembles them, have you supported astrology? The answer is no, because we've only tried to get a confirmation. In science you HAVE to try to prove your hypothesis wrong. The inability to do so is what validates ideas in science. To try and prove astrology wrong you might try to give people the wrong Zodiac descriptions, and see if they agree when they shouldn't. Maybe Mr Scorpio from before kind of likes his Scorpio reading, but really feels as though Gemini matches him or her best. Simply getting the fastest "yes" you can out of an experiment does not make science.

Saying astrology went through this process that every scientific idea has to is, simply, wrong. Astrologers tend to hide from this level of critique by waving their hands and alluding to mysterious forces and saying like "that's mischief. Mischief in mischief out" as though trying to disprove astrology will make the universe mad at you and mess up your results. Its absurd on every level.

Dapper Reveler

Vannak
This isn't to say knowledge was impossible before science, but knowledge about things that are outside the range of human experience was. That is, anything that took longer than a life time (such as Tectonic shift), was too small to see (germ theory of disease) or was too far away to see (astronomy), were all outside the realm of knowledge to people back then. To understand something you can't see directly requires science, and ancient knowledge is no exception, and no alternative.
Most people associate the founding of modern scientific philosophy with Aristotle. You seem ready to dismiss a hell of a lot of really well articulated and some well accredited to this day knowledge for the sake of a whim. You can't explain away research without giving it due credit and addressing it directly.
Avgvsto
Vannak
Most people associate the founding of modern scientific philosophy with Aristotle. You seem ready to dismiss a hell of a lot of really well articulated and some well accredited to this day knowledge for the sake of a whim. You can't explain away research without giving it due credit and addressing it directly.

Aristotle was a naturalist, and a philosopher, which are precursors to science. But all in the same, its like calling a wagon a car. Just because you have the basics down doesn't mean you deal with all the nuances.
More than anything else, the ancient philosophers formalized thinking, which is extremely valuable. it leads to an understanding of the natural world, being able to do things like predict atoms. However all of these predictions were based on assumptions about how the world is when on the realm we now regulate to science, especially the very small and very large.

Take, for instance, the prediction of the atom. This was a philosophical prediction, not one made by experiment. I don't mean to take credit from where its due, but this prediction essentially came about because the Greeks didn't like infinity. That's it. And we know infinities exist, in a certain sense.

By formalizing thinking, the ancient philosophers managed to figure out the world available to the senses. They didn't do science which has at least two necessary features the greeks DIDN'T* have of dependence on experimentation and falsifiability, and we really don't see the importance of experimentation until we get to Galileo, Tycho and the like. The modern formalism of falsifiability comes in the form of the null hypothesis, which is a 20th century innovation, though precursors exist going back a long time, and have roots in the philosophy of doubt, which has a rather hard to depict history though you can see elements and glimmers of it going back to Aristotle and comparatives.

What Aristotle should really be credited with is the formalism of naturalism. Science is a naturalist study, but the two are distinct.

*This may be because they just didn't have instrumentation, though several assumptions about the nature of things like gravity and magnetism, known to greeks, were not tested for many many centuries. The testing of constant gravitational acceleration is something well with in Aristotle's ability, yet it was not done and Aristotelian physics claims that heavy objects fall faster, which is not true.

Eloquent Sophomore

8,975 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Signature Look 250
Avgvsto
Exoth XIII
Avgvsto

Honestly, there is a pretty small part of me that believes in this.

Is anyone going to get that phone?

Dapper Reveler

Exoth XIII
Avgvsto
Exoth XIII
Avgvsto

What?
Avgvsto
Exoth XIII
Avgvsto
Exoth XIII
Avgvsto

What?
Wait for it... wait for itttttttt

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out