Welcome to Gaia! ::

Do you think the male pill is a good idea?

Yes 0.68 68.0% [ 17 ]
No 0.12 12.0% [ 3 ]
Not sure 0.2 20.0% [ 5 ]
Total Votes:[ 25 ]
< 1 2

I think it would be great, if it is able to pass trials safely. Just another level of self control for a potentially risky situation.

Lucky Lunatic

10,850 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Ehh..of course there will be some extremists who oppose this. At least half of the U.S demographic is a form of of religion that's against abortion, and then a portion of those are people who oppose contraceptives on a whole, then there's some sort of weird semantic battle over the difference of "not being given the chance to be born", "the purpose of sex" and "aborting the born" and all the technical information with opinionated input.xD

Now, will there be an intervention or an up-rise over it? That'd be the appropriate question to ask. Though, technically the fact that abortion and contraceptives are still allowed and have not been illegalized to begin with out-rules these possibilities. There's still the fact that people have attempted protest against abortion as well as people who have protested against contraceptives, albeit on paper the reasons for them have managed to outweigh the reasons religious factions and most pro-lifers come up with-and in an oversimplified nutshell they are simply told "If you don't like it don't take it. Pro-choice."

Uh. Soo...anyways, in my opinion, even with this introducing the first contraceptive man-pill, the controversy is likely to be in the distant future. But as of now, there won't be any big news anywhere right away. Initially we'll just hear how some people think it's closing the "fairness" gap and about the problems between two people arguing who should be the one to take it or if they should both take their respective pills-and how effective it is/if docs recommend both partners use the pill and a condom or w/e.

Familiar Flatterer

I think its all good. Why should it be the woman's sole responsibility. Further it gives men the choice of whether they want to have children at that time too... likely prevent more unwanted pregnancies. Plus, its good for couples where women can't tolerate any hormonal therapies.

As for the thing would I take it, I'm gay, so its not going to affect me much... but I would.

Giygasm's King

Demonic Sweetheart

16,550 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Cool Cat 500
It takes two to tango, so to speak, so it would be great to get that pill worked on and ready for the public. I believe that birth control shouldn't be just the women's concern.
I'll still pull out probably.
Yes. Only male pill would allow us to have true gender equality. No more lying that you are on pill and then suying for child support.

Shy Genius

16,700 Points
  • Hesitant Participant 100
  • Party Member 100
  • Converting 1 item 100
`Emerald
JQ1, the 'male pill', reduces spermatogenesis by the activation of a biochemical pathway that does not effect the level of males hormones such as testosterone or androsterone. Trials that have been carried out on mice note that sperm reduction was rapidly decreased and any sperm that was produced were 'poor swimmers' and therefore dysfunctional. Other observations that were noted were that once the mice were taken off JQ1, their fertility was not affected and they were able to produce healthy offspring. The animal trial, labelled a success, will be followed by human trials once approval is given.

Possible points for discussion:

1) Do you think the marketing of JQ1, if human trials are also successful, will reduce the burden and responsibility placed on women to find contraception methods (due to limited male contraception options)?
2) If you are a man, would you take this drug as a contraceptive?
3) Do you think there will be social or religious opposition?

The female one needs to be outlawed, because it is putting synthetic estrogen, of a kind that can't be filtered out, into the water supplies. It is ruining all life that drinks and bathes in that water, including humans. Men in highly affected areas are feminizing, and getting sterile.

What is the male pill? The female one makes you think you're pregnant. Is the male one a sterilizing agent? Yes. If you add that into the water supply, you'll kill off entire human populations, without consent. If it just had risk of permanently sterilizing the person taking it, that'd be a lot less unethical... But, these kinds of drugs affect the entire planet. (All water systems are interconnected.) These types of drugs need to be outlawed.

You should not trust drug companies that try to sell you drugs they claim will magic away the consequences of your actions. It's obvious quackery.
Hamika Kitsuhana
`Emerald
JQ1, the 'male pill', reduces spermatogenesis by the activation of a biochemical pathway that does not effect the level of males hormones such as testosterone or androsterone. Trials that have been carried out on mice note that sperm reduction was rapidly decreased and any sperm that was produced were 'poor swimmers' and therefore dysfunctional. Other observations that were noted were that once the mice were taken off JQ1, their fertility was not affected and they were able to produce healthy offspring. The animal trial, labelled a success, will be followed by human trials once approval is given.

Possible points for discussion:

1) Do you think the marketing of JQ1, if human trials are also successful, will reduce the burden and responsibility placed on women to find contraception methods (due to limited male contraception options)?
2) If you are a man, would you take this drug as a contraceptive?
3) Do you think there will be social or religious opposition?

The female one needs to be outlawed, because it is putting synthetic estrogen, of a kind that can't be filtered out, into the water supplies. It is ruining all life that drinks and bathes in that water, including humans. Men in highly affected areas are feminizing, and getting sterile.

What is the male pill? The female one makes you think you're pregnant. Is the male one a sterilizing agent? Yes. If you add that into the water supply, you'll kill off entire human populations, without consent. If it just had risk of permanently sterilizing the person taking it, that'd be a lot less unethical... But, these kinds of drugs affect the entire planet. (All water systems are interconnected.) These types of drugs need to be outlawed.

You should not trust drug companies that try to sell you drugs they claim will magic away the consequences of your actions. It's obvious quackery.

The female pill will never be outlawed, the physiological changes it exerts on the female body to prevent pregnancy (if taken properly) is too important in modern society; the population will never stop having sex and most women take it as something to fall back on if no other contraception, e.g. condoms are used.

Somehow I don't think there's a problem with males becoming more feminine, unless you have an example of a solid study with a very representative sample and statistically significant data to evidence that then that claim is far from sound. The same for sterilising wildlife in aquatic ecosystems.

The male pill affects biochemical pathways involved in spermatogenesis (sperm production) to reduce sperm production. The observations made when JQ1 was trialled on mice was that it reduced sperm production but it did not completely cease (not necessarily a successful outcome) but it was observed that the mice, when no longer were given JQ1, that sperm production had increased to normal levels and therefore ruled out the chance of future infertility. So it does not permanently sterilise the male individual taking it.

I'm sure that oestrogen present in water destined for drinking will be able to somehow be removed; water treatment companies are bound to have researched it and it is probably still be researched. There are strict regulations regarding the composition of drinking water and water that enters aquatic ecosystems so it seems unlikely it's a serious issue.
As with any new medical idea, there will be religious and/or social opposition.
It will give couples more options about birth control, but I don't think it will reduce the ''burden and repsonsibility'' placed on women to find contraception methods, at least not in my area, as male condoms are generally accepted, and widely used as a birth control method. Whether it even would be a serious alternative for many women in my area is questionable, as I heard from many girls that they actually like being on bc pills because of the positive side effects.

But whether it actually will be useful depends on the negative and positive side effects and whether it actually works in humans. Mouses are fairly different from humans, and too many negative side effects are not desired with a pill like this.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff