Welcome to Gaia! ::

Do you think the male pill is a good idea?

Yes 0.68 68.0% [ 17 ]
No 0.12 12.0% [ 3 ]
Not sure 0.2 20.0% [ 5 ]
Total Votes:[ 25 ]
1 2 >

JQ1, the 'male pill', reduces spermatogenesis by the activation of a biochemical pathway that does not effect the level of males hormones such as testosterone or androsterone. Trials that have been carried out on mice note that sperm reduction was rapidly decreased and any sperm that was produced were 'poor swimmers' and therefore dysfunctional. Other observations that were noted were that once the mice were taken off JQ1, their fertility was not affected and they were able to produce healthy offspring. The animal trial, labelled a success, will be followed by human trials once approval is given.

Possible points for discussion:

1) Do you think the marketing of JQ1, if human trials are also successful, will reduce the burden and responsibility placed on women to find contraception methods (due to limited male contraception options)?
2) If you are a man, would you take this drug as a contraceptive?
3) Do you think there will be social or religious opposition?

Fanatical Zealot

Sounds awesome.

Men can prevent pregnancies too, would be pretty sweet.
Honestly I don't think this is as much of a game changer as people think. I'm just waiting for the sexual assault charges that come when someone gets pregnant from someone "claming" to be on this pill.

But if I can afford it I'll probably choose to take it. But I think in a practical sense both men and women who don't want children and engage in casual sex should afford some kind of protection. I know more than a few friends who had an unfortunate pregnancy because someone lied about birth control. This is going to help alleviate that so I'm happy.

Greedy Consumer

'poor swimmers' if one of those happen to be lucky enough to impregnate someone then you are royally screwed.
We Are Organisms
'poor swimmers' if one of those happen to be lucky enough to impregnate someone then you are royally screwed.

I know that's what the research team has to try and resolve before moving on to human trials otherwise I'm sure they would of been allowed to conduct them fairly soon.

Hygienic Gawker

Good drug. I'd use it. However, in response to question 1, no contraception (excluding, arguably, surgical contraceptions) should be viewed to 'reduce the burden' on the partner to use another form of contraception. If a girl asks a guy (or vice versa) to go on the pill so s/he can come off, that's irresponsible and misses the point of contraception. If the couple are taking the risk of pregnancy seriously, JQ1 usage is to be co-ordinated with other contraceptive methods and responsible family planning.

Hygienic Gawker

We Are Organisms

You don't know that they can 'be lucky', since all you know about them is that OP termed them 'poor swimmers'. For all you know, that could mean they're produced without flagella or even dead, which would make them very poor swimmers to the point of uselessness. You should research topics before passing criticism.

Greedy Consumer

Quasirnodo A Go-Go
We Are Organisms

You don't know that they can 'be lucky', since all you know about them is that OP termed them 'poor swimmers'. For all you know, that could mean they're produced without flagella or even dead, which would make them very poor swimmers to the point of uselessness. You should research topics before passing criticism.
I am allowed to pass criticism. Women have gotten pregnant while on the pill before. If they have any swimmers itd be bad. Swimmers implies not dead I would imagine, but I understand your point.

Fanatical Zealot

Well, hope it works without side effects.

Time to produce a female one without side effects.
Quasirnodo A Go-Go
Good drug. I'd use it. However, in response to question 1, no contraception (excluding, arguably, surgical contraceptions) should be viewed to 'reduce the burden' on the partner to use another form of contraception. If a girl asks a guy (or vice versa) to go on the pill so s/he can come off, that's irresponsible and misses the point of contraception. If the couple are taking the risk of pregnancy seriously, JQ1 usage is to be co-ordinated with other contraceptive methods and responsible family planning.

Absolutely, I also believe preventing pregnancy should be a joint effort, however, I think it would be appropriate the man taking JQ1 in cases where their partner couldn't or don't particularly want to take the contraceptive pill due to side effects or an allergy. For example - a minor reason - I myself take the contraceptive pill and I find it increases my appetite therefore I find it difficult to control my weight.
Suicidesoldier#1

Couldn't agree more with you there, the female contraceptive pill has a ridiculous list of potential side effects; from a leaflet in the box of my contraceptive pills there's 8 listed 'less serious' side effects and 9 'serious' side effects. It's not a surprise that there's a whole network of doctors that oppose the contraceptive pill as a drug - there's even a book published on it.

Fanatical Zealot

`Emerald
Suicidesoldier#1

Couldn't agree more with you there, the female contraceptive pill has a ridiculous list of potential side effects; from a leaflet in the box of my contraceptive pills there's 8 listed 'less serious' side effects and 9 'serious' side effects. It's not a surprise that there's a whole network of doctors that oppose the contraceptive pill as a drug - there's even a book published on it.

3nodding

If it can truly be done, woot!

Dapper Dabbler

We Are Organisms

True, but woman's birth control pill isn't 100% effective either. It's recommended you use condoms as well.
PikachuBaller
We Are Organisms

True, but woman's birth control pill isn't 100% effective either. It's recommended you use condoms as well.

Yes the contraceptive pill I believe is ~97 or 98%. Condoms are probably a sexual health adviser's best friend - prevent the spread of STI's and have a very high percentage of protection - but for some individuals they make sexual intercourse uncomfortable (I guess if that leads to abstinence it's 100% effective but it kind of misses the point) so the male pill would be suitable in such cases.

Dangerous Hunter

10,450 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Battle: Rogue 100
Interesting, it opens new possibilities. I'm also worried about the side effects, but it's really nice as an idea. They are nice as a birth control option but still don't cover problems with infections, however any improvement is welcome.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff