Welcome to Gaia! ::

<3 </3

If you could have a laptop the size of a cd player would you buy it?

Total Votes:[ 0 ]
This poll closed on February 13, 2005.
No longer accepting new votes.
1 2 >

I was reading an article in a science magazine the other week about how they've developed a technology to make a full sized infra red keyboard that can be integrated into a computer or cell phone or palm pilot. all it requires is that you have a flat surface to project it onto, and then you just act like you're typing and it works like a real keyboard. They're supposed to be used for hospitals so that they don't have to waste money on the keyboard covers since they can project the light onto an already sterilized surface. one of my friends told me the other day that his dad was testing out the new company laptop, which is about the size of a portable dvd player, has a tiny monitor, pull out mouse pad, and the new keyboard technology. it's amazing!
Sounds awesome, but I wouldn't buy it. ^^ I'd be bad at typing on it.
Seems to me it'd be difficult to get used to. I mean... I need to feel where my fingers are on the keyboard and feel the keys depress under my fingers. Typing on an unyielding flat surface would be really tricky to get used to.

But then... I haven't even mastered this stupid track ball sweatdrop

That said, it's an interesting idea and probably the wave of the future. It probably won't be easy to use or reliable for a while yet... new tech always takes a long time to be practical... but it's a good idea and I'm excited to see where it leads.

but... on what planet is infared keyboard technology cheaper than plastic keyboard covers O.o
Infra-red? I thought that it would be using visible light laser such that a user could actually see the keyboard.

http://www.overclockersclub.com/?read=7328384

Yeah, visible, yet red.

http://www.brighthand.com/article/iBiz_Releasing_Virtual_Keyboard_Soon
Same picture, different site.
Starwing
I was reading an article in a science magazine the other week about how they've developed a technology to make a full sized infra red keyboard that can be integrated into a computer or cell phone or palm pilot. all it requires is that you have a flat surface to project it onto, and then you just act like you're typing and it works like a real keyboard. They're supposed to be used for hospitals so that they don't have to waste money on the keyboard covers since they can project the light onto an already sterilized surface. one of my friends told me the other day that his dad was testing out the new company laptop, which is about the size of a portable dvd player, has a tiny monitor, pull out mouse pad, and the new keyboard technology. it's amazing!
I wouldn't. You'd have to be a perfect typist prior to buying one.
Omechron
Seems to me it'd be difficult to get used to. I mean... I need to feel where my fingers are on the keyboard and feel the keys depress under my fingers. Typing on an unyielding flat surface would be really tricky to get used to.

But then... I haven't even mastered this stupid track ball sweatdrop

That said, it's an interesting idea and probably the wave of the future. It probably won't be easy to use or reliable for a while yet... new tech always takes a long time to be practical... but it's a good idea and I'm excited to see where it leads.

but... on what planet is infared keyboard technology cheaper than plastic keyboard covers O.o

it is cheaper because you have to thow out the keyboard covers each time and replace them. eventually, it adds up. the keyboard is between $100-$200. In the long run, you save money
also, something I forgot to mention earlier, it makes a clicky noise when you type, so it sounds like you're typing.
Paakun
Infra-red? I thought that it would be using visible light laser such that a user could actually see the keyboard.

http://www.overclockersclub.com/?read=7328384

Yeah, visible, yet red.

http://www.brighthand.com/article/iBiz_Releasing_Virtual_Keyboard_Soon
Same picture, different site.

sorry, it is visible... obviously or you wouldn't be able to type on it. I think the way the laser senses your typing is similar to infra red sensors though, but I'm not sure. actually, if you wanted it to be better, it should be green, since that's brighter. (our physics teacher shines the red laser in people's eyes all the time, but the green one he won't since that one actually will blind you)
I'll still go for the foldable keyboard, first because it would feel better, just the thought of my fingers having to strike a hard surface that doesn't give any just gives me the creepy image of my fingers becoming bloody blisters. gonk

*Shudders*

The foldable one, at least you can at least place it on a towel or something of the sort. Also, it seems that a light keyboard would have problems, such as how does it know that you really want to press the key, do you have to hold your fingers in the air and have no sort of rest for them?
It'd be cool to type on nothing but i type b touch and you cant do that with a laser.
I also read this article.

An awesome piece of technolog that I'd definantly buy if I do say so myself. ^.^
Ru Shou
I'll still go for the foldable keyboard, first because it would feel better, just the thought of my fingers having to strike a hard surface that doesn't give any just gives me the creepy image of my fingers becoming bloody blisters. gonk

*Shudders*

The foldable one, at least you can at least place it on a towel or something of the sort. Also, it seems that a light keyboard would have problems, such as how does it know that you really want to press the key, do you have to hold your fingers in the air and have no sort of rest for them?

I actually own a foldable keyboard due to a horrible accident that involved orange soda in which rendered my keyboard useless. It was funny, when I would hit z, it would instead hit F5.

My roommate would complain about my foldable keyboard since it wouldn't give the same feedback and indication whenever one would type. Like, with standard keyboards; there's the pressure from the springs that restores the keys and the slight clicking sound that it makes to register a keystroke in one's mind. However, being forced to use that keyboard, I actually got quite used to it and my mind just got over not hearing the sound or getting the same satisifcation from the normal keyboard.

Likewise, I assume the same would apply to these laser keyboards. At first, the registering of typing would be counter-intutiatve, but one would get used to it after awhile.

Also, not sure, but I believe that the keyboard would register the moment of the fingers, rather than their position for the keystrokes - thus finger tips lying on the surface wouldn't register. However, the delmia would be if one is actually holding down a key. I really wonder how that will work out.
Paakun
Also, not sure, but I believe that the keyboard would register the moment of the fingers, rather than their position for the keystrokes - thus finger tips lying on the surface wouldn't register. However, the delmia would be if one is actually holding down a key. I really wonder how that will work out.

That is kind of what I was wondering, but also, how would it be able to discriminate between you either holding down a key or rather resting your finger there. I guess more likely, it would be kind of like a regular keyboard, as to were it gives a delay, but rather than .7 second delay, more like a 1.2-1.4 second delay. I know you can get use to them, I spent a whole semester using the keyboards that look like they are just the circutry inside a regular board, but just for the start of things, I think it could cause some pretty big messes. Likewise, I would really want to see how much you save over time, how much power it takes to run and how long the keyboard last before it needs repair or software upgrade.
Ru Shou
Paakun

That is kind of what I was wondering, but also, how would it be able to discriminate between you either holding down a key or rather resting your finger there. I guess more likely, it would be kind of like a regular keyboard, as to were it gives a delay, but rather than .7 second delay, more like a 1.2-1.4 second delay. I know you can get use to them, I spent a whole semester using the keyboards that look like they are just the circutry inside a regular board, but just for the start of things, I think it could cause some pretty big messes. Likewise, I would really want to see how much you save over time, how much power it takes to run and how long the keyboard last before it needs repair or software upgrade.

They're supposed to small and portable! However, I like how laptops can be laptops. Like the keyboard is there and it's firm, so that one can actually type ^_^.
thats a really good idea. it will revolutionize technology as we know it. its also good in emergencies like if you need to send a message quicly because there is an emergency.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff