Welcome to Gaia! ::

A singularity may seem impossible, however black holes are also singularitys.
ok, we all need to understand that MASS IS ENERGY. in any physics course you take dealing with relativity, they will tell you MASS IS ENERGY. string theory is very consistent in this respect. if string theory is correct (which it is extremely likely is), then everything is just composed of many vibrating strings of energy! and mass is just a different form of this energy. as kinetic energy and potential energy are different forms of energy to begin with.

now the big bang according to stephen hawking was the beginning of real time. he postulates that before the big bang, time was imaginary, which means that it functioned exactly like a spatial dimension. and to the person who said singularities are mathematical imagination, im afraid that he/she is wrong. singularities are just infinites, and infinites in the universe are very possible, and are more and more common than we thought 30 years ago.

now if vafa and schrominger are correct about branes, then the big bang was just one of infinite occurances in which multi-dimensional strings (p-branes) are bound together by single dimensional strings are hitting each other and the expanding away from each other again. there are a lot of problems with this theory though. first of all, gravity cannot have been wavelike during the bang. so that would mean magically gravity would have lost all of its characterists as a fundamental force and would have lost its properties. there are much much much more technical problems dealing with the higgs field, so im not about to start with that.

now with entropy, i will give the quickest class on entropy anyone will ever have. entropy is the disorder in a system. the second law of thermodynamics states that the entropy in the universe is always increasing, which means the universe can never become more ordered. "what about when i clean my room. my room becomes more disordered, i just disproved the second law of thermodynamics" one may say. well to prove the second law, first take a piece of paper... rip it in half.... try and put it back together in its original form. there, you just proved it. now to explain about the ordering of the room. in order for you to make a room ordered, your body must first find energy. to do that the body must break down the ordered fat cells, and to get the fat cells the body must expend heat to create the fat cells, and that heat given off to the environment will disturb the original order. so cleaning your room into a more ordered state over all makes the entropy increase by 10^13 times!

what is important about this is that if entropy only increases, that would mean that if you go back enough you will find the universe at perfect order, the singularity of the big bang. this can suggest numerous things. it might suggest that the laws of all physics happened to change (for all you buffs out there, the calabi yau shape changew in one dimension or another) and the big bang was the result of the end of the laws of physics before. it can also suggest that hawking is correct, that the laws of physics stay the same, but you reach a point of imaginary time, where time itself acts like a spacial dimension. and the most popular idea is that it is proof of a creator... which it actually is not.

sorry for rambling... hope someone learned something!
sorry if this is a double message, but my computer is being weird...

ok, we all need to understand that MASS IS ENERGY. in any physics course you take dealing with relativity, they will tell you MASS IS ENERGY. string theory is very consistent in this respect. if string theory is correct (which it is extremely likely is), then everything is just composed of many vibrating strings of energy! and mass is just a different form of this energy. as kinetic energy and potential energy are different forms of energy to begin with.

now the big bang according to stephen hawking was the beginning of real time. he postulates that before the big bang, time was imaginary, which means that it functioned exactly like a spatial dimension. and to the person who said singularities are mathematical imagination, im afraid that he/she is wrong. singularities are just infinites, and infinites in the universe are very possible, and are more and more common than we thought 30 years ago.

now if vafa and schrominger are correct about branes, then the big bang was just one of infinite occurances in which multi-dimensional strings (p-branes) are bound together by single dimensional strings are hitting each other and the expanding away from each other again. there are a lot of problems with this theory though. first of all, gravity cannot have been wavelike during the bang. so that would mean magically gravity would have lost all of its characterists as a fundamental force and would have lost its properties. there are much much much more technical problems dealing with the higgs field, so im not about to start with that.

now with entropy, i will give the quickest class on entropy anyone will ever have. entropy is the disorder in a system. the second law of thermodynamics states that the entropy in the universe is always increasing, which means the universe can never become more ordered. "what about when i clean my room. my room becomes more disordered, i just disproved the second law of thermodynamics" one may say. well to prove the second law, first take a piece of paper... rip it in half.... try and put it back together in its original form. there, you just proved it. now to explain about the ordering of the room. in order for you to make a room ordered, your body must first find energy. to do that the body must break down the ordered fat cells, and to get the fat cells the body must expend heat to create the fat cells, and that heat given off to the environment will disturb the original order. so cleaning your room into a more ordered state over all makes the entropy increase by 10^13 times!

what is important about this is that if entropy only increases, that would mean that if you go back enough you will find the universe at perfect order, the singularity of the big bang. this can suggest numerous things. it might suggest that the laws of all physics happened to change (for all you buffs out there, the calabi yau shape changew in one dimension or another) and the big bang was the result of the end of the laws of physics before. it can also suggest that hawking is correct, that the laws of physics stay the same, but you reach a point of imaginary time, where time itself acts like a spacial dimension. and the most popular idea is that it is proof of a creator... which it actually is not.

sorry for rambling on... i hope someone atleast learned something!
sorry if this is a double message, but my computer is being weird...

sorry for rambling on... i hope someone atleast learned something!
Why the hell is it at all likely that string "theory" is accurate if it's not testable?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff