Welcome to Gaia! ::

Am I the only one here who does?

I've just had a test on BASIC maths and physics, and I always seem to forget some fundamental rule or other. Like with turning points, I forgot to calculate the second derivative...

Give me some numerical values and an equation and the chances are I'll ******** it up.

Long live mechanisms and fact-remembering! xp
I hear ya. But no, I don't hate it. I find math to be a challenge, and I like being challenged. Plus, physics is just awesome. You can calculate anything with it. It's just an amazing science.
I like them, but I also suck at them.
Math and science are great. The key, however, is to be a able to understand it to the limit possible for you. You need to know why you're calculating what you're calculating, you will make mistakes like you're describing.

DarkenAngel's Queen

Shameless Lunatic

I'm set to graduate and I still stare at my teachers every time they pull out some long-winded math formula. It just... makes my brain hurt.
Math and physics require precision or they are not right. Anytime precision is needed getting things wrong increase. That is partly why they are so hard. I also think our society teaches people to be Math phobic. You are rarely told in grade school, "now this story is going to be hard," yet when it comes to math teachers are always warning students about difficulty. I have seen numerous people psyche themselves into failing math.

personally, I dislike math becasue it is boring to me, not becasue it is hard.
What do you want, a ******** cookie?
You ask this question on a science and tech forum of course they are going to say I LOVE PHYSICS AND MATH. well you know what I DONT. MAth is the vain of my life . I'm in grade 12 math and I have 45% and I do my work and work my a** off and get tutoring. SO yeah I hate math.
I despise math and physics. As soon as I finish my college pre-reqs, I will never have another math or science class again. All the equations are worhtless to the normal world, in fact, most math is only good for math majors, who are going to become math teachers, and go on to teach more math teachers and so on. I despise any math beyond multiplication and division, which is what they should teach people, how to do complex multiplication and division in their heads. Thats some math people need in their lives.
Maths is something that you either love or hate, no middle ground. It's a rather demanding subject, as you need a certain ability for abstraction and a love of theory to get far.
As you can probably see in my sig, I'm studying maths at university, so it should be obvious on whose side I am xd . However, I can understand why people don't like it.
I also agree that our school system tends to prejudice people against maths. Also, the "early" maths have almost nothing to do with the "later" maths, so people who despise stuff like long division might find they love higher maths, and vice versa. And then again, there are different fields of maths. Probability theory is something very different from calculus, for instance. And linear algebra is something completely different again... although a certain love of abstract ideas is required for all of them.

PS Interestingly enough, I cannot stand physics. I'm horrendously bad at it. Not theoretical enough for me xd
Math is pretty good, but I agree on the HATING physics bit... I mean, when is it ever going to be useful to calculate the charge density of a plastic sphere inside a metal sphere inside another plastic sphere in a magnetic field...? Of course I had a terrible HS physics teacher, so I went into college without the basics. But still... physics is pretty crazy. Especially the bits on magnetism... ugh, now I'm getting terrible flashbacks of my sophomore year!

Math is cool because you get word problems, so you can see how all of those silly calculus formulas might be useful for even the most practical things like aviation or construction.

But the one thing I hate about math is that one teacher you always seem to get who HATES calculators. So you've got to do insanely difficult calculations without the benefit of a calculator... in any real situation where you need to use calc, you'd have calculators and computers and all that, so why do teachers insist on causing unneccasary math anxiety on exams?
Iroha
Math is pretty good, but I agree on the HATING physics bit... I mean, when is it ever going to be useful to calculate the charge density of a plastic sphere inside a metal sphere inside another plastic sphere in a magnetic field...? Of course I had a terrible HS physics teacher, so I went into college without the basics. But still... physics is pretty crazy. Especially the bits on magnetism... ugh, now I'm getting terrible flashbacks of my sophomore year!

Math is cool because you get word problems, so you can see how all of those silly calculus formulas might be useful for even the most practical things like aviation or construction.

But the one thing I hate about math is that one teacher you always seem to get who HATES calculators. So you've got to do insanely difficult calculations without the benefit of a calculator... in any real situation where you need to use calc, you'd have calculators and computers and all that, so why do teachers insist on causing unneccasary math anxiety on exams?

Hmm... I am the opposite. I find that physics is more useful than math. When you have a math problem, you solve it and that's it. There really isn't much you can do with it after that. But physics calculates how things work. You can plot trajectories or see how much current a certain metal can hold. Maybe it is just me, but I find it very useful in every aspect of life.
I see math as a game. Fit the numbers in the equations.
You guys are crazy. Physics RULES! I just got the high score on my AP physics test and Junior Engineering Team Tests. Math is pretty cool too, although i prefer applied mathematics with science.

Aged Pants

9,100 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Physics is overrated, as is maths.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers