Welcome to Gaia! ::

Watervoir's Husbando

Carnivore

It depends, really. Cloning has it's benefits, but of course - ethics and other issues come into play as well.

Cloning and cell culture techniques could potentially mean an end to the current issues pertaining to the long waiting lists for organ donors available for transplantation. Theoretically, there's no more risk of rejection from an autoimmune response, so people won't need to take immunosuppressant drugs. I'm specifically quite interested in seeing how cloning can be beneficial in the regeneration of the myelin sheath and whether it'll be a potential treatment for Multiple Sclerosis.

There's still a lack of understanding of how cloned cells will behave over time. Will they have a higher predisposition to mutation or not?
I haven't researched this extensively, due to time constraints with school, but it's still something to consider.

One main issue with cloning is that it cuts down on variation. Therefore, excessive genetic uniformity in a species makes it highly unlikely to be able to to deal with/adapt to environmental changes. What if a new strain of pathogen were to appear? If we were all clones - there's the possibility that we'd all be susceptible to disease.
cloning is as unethical as some stupid ******** c**t getting knocked up and having to abort or give their kid up for adoption. don't have sex if you can't handle the responsibility. don't clone a human if you can't handle that responsibility.

it's making a person. lots of kids don't know they are adopted. how would a clone know where the truth? they would just be a normal person that looks like another normal person. if it doesn't hurt anybody, it's not unethical. and if we get advances in science from it and it doesn't hurt anybody...

nobody gives a ******** if you were born in a tank got spit out of a v****a. i'm sure the tank would be far less disgusting.

in the end, it's what you do with the cloning that matters, not that you cloned. which is not inherently bad to begin with. sometimes the ends justify the means.
Can somebody please explain any non-religious reason as to why this is unethical.

Fanatical Zealot

Disconsented
Can somebody please explain any non-religious reason as to why this is unethical.

You create a human, on this planet, with a high likelihood to die. Assuming they survive, they're going to be more susceptible to diseases and things like most clones.

Assuming none of that's an issue, they will have no parents, no family, no relatives, and more or less be an experiment- imagine you, a human being, all your worth is an experiment, probably later on to be tested on in experiments, tortured in a way, until you die.

That, or have your organs stolen when your creator needs it- you are essentially a second class citizen, without rights, to be tested on or be stripped of your organs whenever someone else needs it at a whim.

Then on top of that, assuming you get over the whole "I have no family" thing, you are left with the fact that people are begin created despite the fact we have some degree of resource limits and now you are going to have to fight to survive- who will pay for your college, for your life, for anything- you've got to do everything on your own on top of the fact that only so many people can even really exist on earth *comfortably*.

Does that sound like fun to you?

We can clone organs and stuff, but whole people, I don't really think it's a good idea.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff