Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fanatical Zealot

It will be immoral unless we can 100% make a situation were humans won't die.

Right now, most clones die at a very young age, and very few survive to childbirth.

We just haven't perfected cloning yet.

To preform cloning on humans when there is a massive fatality rate is just unethical.

That being said, I do not believe there is any kind of thingy inherently unethical about cloning humans.

That also being said, the real reason we stopped is due to the fact we tried to do gene therapy on people with viruses and it ended up creating a virus that caused cancer; leukemia to be exact, that was highly contagious, had no cure, and that humans had no natural resistance to.

Versatile Seeker

1,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
I have no problem with the idea of using cloned cells for research and healing!
But as for cloning an actual human being, it all depends on the reason. My first thought is that people would want human clones instead of "real" humans for usage in menial labor, or perhaps sex dolls for the more perverted. My mind also went to, maybe some would want to make huge ARMIES of clones, bred strong and willing. For this I have no issue but only if said clones are treated with the exact same rights and dignity as the non-clones and are not treated as mere bags of meat.

Regular

I believe human cloning is unethical because it's just as wrong as creating a replacement. You cannot replace a human who had a name, a life, memories, and a distinct personality. It's inhumane. Sure human cloning gives scientists advantages in taking more steps toward the field, but what about our morals? How can one destroy what we were built upon?

Live birth is the natural process of bringing humans into this world, not by cloning. We are not animals, and should not be brought up in this manner.
The Pretty FGGT
I believe human cloning is unethical because it's just as wrong as creating a replacement. You cannot replace a human who had a name, a life, memories, and a distinct personality. It's inhumane. Sure human cloning gives scientists advantages in taking more steps toward the field, but what about our morals? How can one destroy what we were built upon?

Live birth is the natural process of bringing humans into this world, not by cloning. We are not animals, and should not be brought up in this manner.

Monozygotic ( "identical" ) twins are more similar than a clone and the source of its DNA.

6,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Well there is no point in cloning anything any more. They are finishing up on the technology that allows people to simply grow new organs specifically for their bodies.

Though on the subject of whole human cloning im against that and clones. Not twins with are natural, but Human made clones. Im also against designer babies, and GM humans.

7,350 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
The Pretty FGGT

... Contrary to the Pokemon Movie and the Star Wars prequel, clones are not birthed from pods.
It sure as s**t is.

And for obvious reasons as well. Think about it. Sports? Completely ******** pointless if we're literally BREEDING clones of super star athletes. Plus there will be a whole genetic black market, and it'll be a mess we will never be able to clean up. Plus, immoral people will use clones of themselves as living organ farms...blah blah blah.

There are more ways it could do harm than good is what I'm trying to say.

Fanatical Zealot

DarklyDreamingDylan
It sure as s**t is.

And for obvious reasons as well. Think about it. Sports? Completely ******** pointless if we're literally BREEDING clones of super star athletes. Plus there will be a whole genetic black market, and it'll be a mess we will never be able to clean up. Plus, immoral people will use clones of themselves as living organ farms...blah blah blah.

Good thing cloning won't produce super star athletes then.
Suicidesoldier#1
DarklyDreamingDylan
It sure as s**t is.

Explain to me how it won't.

Omnipresent Cultist

5,250 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
DarklyDreamingDylan
Suicidesoldier#1
DarklyDreamingDylan
It sure as s**t is.

Because the athletes did not come out there mothers birthing canal as super star athletes.

even if you cloned Usain Bolt, the Clone is not going to be Usain Bolt

because he might not want to do sports he might want to become a lawyer.
DarklyDreamingDylan
Suicidesoldier#1
DarklyDreamingDylan
It sure as s**t is.

Because cloning isn't genetic engineering. Cloning is taking DNA that already exists and copying it, in full, into a new life form.

Genetic engineering, on the other hand, is where we take manipulate genes. Clones have the exact same DNA as their parent. If you delete even one bad gene or add one good one it's not a "clone". So cloning doesn't really help you make better anything, it just gives you a better chance to perpetuate old traits that were already there.

Fanatical Zealot

Nobody ever mentions the obvious. Let's make athletes with two hearts, 4 kidneys, massive livers, four lungs and two diaphragms etc.

Maybe even extra arms and s**t.

The great thing is, supposedly genes like this exist and they are dominant.

It's all a matter of modifying them/getting them to work correctly; we could theoretically do this now.

Increase hemoglobin by like 4 times the amount or give them copper blood and bump up the amount; man, that would be the shiz.

4 times longer holding breath, more oxygen = more energy to burn = smarter, stronger etc.

Or 10 times the amount, whatever.

Give them like, hearts in their feet and even their legs like horses, they could circulate blood like no other, maybe even have circular breathing and a constant flow of blood.

Shirtless Strawberry

14,800 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Pie Scarface 150
  • Partygoer 500
I think human cloning would only ethical and moral problems.

How do we justify whether a clone has a "soul" or not. Will there be an segregation against clones? How about equality? And with religion, since they were not made by God, do we consider them abomination? How will the clone be able to comprehend that they are only a clone? With cloning, should we replace the ones we lost with clones? Will the clone have the same personal traits as those who passed away or will they just only have the appearance?

There are so many questions over human cloning that I think the best thing we can do is not bother with trying. If we don't do human cloning, we don't have to face the consequences it comes with. There are enough problems in this world as it is.

2,900 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Suicidesoldier#1
Nobody ever mentions the obvious. Let's make athletes with two hearts, 4 kidneys, massive livers, four lungs and two diaphragms etc.

Zoidberg!

...Sorry. I miss Futurama. crying
F--king Family Guy.

Quote:
Increase hemoglobin by like 4 times the amount or give them copper blood and bump up the amount; man, that would be the shiz. 4 times longer holding breath, more oxygen = more energy to burn = smarter, stronger etc. Or 10 times the amount, whatever.
Give them like, hearts in their feet and even their legs like horses, they could circulate blood like no other, maybe even have circular breathing and a constant flow of blood.

This makes me wonder where you get your physiolgy knowledge from... xp
I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but blood flow is, typically, constant. The cardiovascular system actually works pretty well, given that it's constantly running 24/7 in a seemingly never-ending cycle. Holding your breath is a matter of neuro-control (remember how you can't die by simply by holding your breath? ) and storage capacity in your lungs.
Said person would also have rather staggering energy requirements. whee

Dapper Lunatic

An idea of raising human clones to be slaughtered for their organs came to mind. What's left over which would be the muscle and bones could serve other purposes. The bones could be used for glue and the muscle could be ground up and served as dog food or it could be filleted and cooked up various ways for cannibals.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff