Welcome to Gaia! ::

Golden Dysprosium
How is it "immoral"? That's what I don't get. "OMG! We made a copy of something! We're violating the laws of the universe!" I still dont' understand why we're using a 2,000yr old storybook compilation, written by a bunch of highly opinionated (and often drugged up) desert folk, written at a time when it was thought bits of rotting meat turned into flies to guide modern society. xp

My point was that my religion had little bearing on my opinion of human cloning. It's still far more potentially harmful than beneficial.

Golden Dysprosium"Designer babies" (ugly title, in my opinion) came from the paranoia crowd after someone purposed (and eventually developed a way to) change certain traits in children so that they wouldn't be born with certain genetic defects. It came from the idea that if we can alter the genes which would increase the odds of someone getting, say, osteoperosis, why can't we change other things? We could then market it. Hence, "designer babies".[/quote]
Is it really wise to change every changeable part of the human DNA sequence? Think about it. There are people who would pay good money to have a child with a certain height, eye/hair color, skin type, and all sort of purely aesthetic traits. No matter how you look at it, this will lead to chaos for the human gene pool as a whole.

Quote:
Quote:
It's impossibly naive not to believe that these technologies won't rapidly fall into catastrophic abuse.

Everything does. Telemarketing, e-mail spam, hedge funds...it all depends on who's using it. Typically, the developers have a more innocuous use for their creations.

None of these abuses have affected human beings like cloning w
dgh5ydkq:2="Golden Dysprosium"Designer babies" (ugly title, in my opinion) came from the paranoia crowd after someone purposed (and eventually developed a way to) change certain traits in children so that they wouldn't be born with certain genetic defects. It came from the idea that if we can alter the genes which would increase the odds of someone getting, say, osteoperosis, why can't we change other things? We could then market it. Hence, "designer babies".[/quote]
Is it really wise to change every changeable part of the human DNA sequence? Think about it. There are people who would pay good money to have a child with a certain height, eye/hair color, skin type, and all sort of purely aesthetic traits. No matter how you look at it, this will lead to chaos for the human gene pool as a whole.

[quote][quote]It's impossibly naive not to believe that these technologies won't rapidly fall into catastrophic abuse.[/quote]
Everything does. Telemarketing, e-mail spam, hedge funds...it all depends on who's using it. Typically, the developers have a more innocuous use for their creations.[/quote]

None of these abuses have affected human beings like cloning would.

2,900 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Broadside
Golden Dysprosium
"Designer babies" (ugly title, in my opinion) came from the paranoia crowd after someone purposed (and eventually developed a way to) change certain traits in children so that they wouldn't be born with certain genetic defects. It came from the idea that if we can alter the genes which would increase the odds of someone getting, say, osteoperosis, why can't we change other things? We could then market it. Hence, "designer babies".

Is it really wise to change every changeable part of the human DNA sequence? Think about it.

Why would you change that much? Altering just the melanin levels/processing could produce a ton of changes. Your eyes could be different colors (heterochromia makes Christopher Walken all the more cooler). If it comes down to having it commercialized but still having the medical application (which everyone seems to forget about rolleyes ), vs. scrapping the whole thing, I vote for the former. If good can come out of it, why hold it back?
Quote:
There are people who would pay good money to have a child with a certain height, eye/hair color, skin type, and all sort of purely aesthetic traits. No matter how you look at it, this will lead to chaos for the human gene pool as a whole.

The gene pool is already chaotic, even without bioengineering. xp Cloning is just a waste, as the experiences the clone would undergo would most certainly be different from the O.G and thus wouldn't be anything more than a synthetic twin. Stem cells and genetic engineering are certainly better avenues for research, despite what the peanut gallery thinks.

Eloquent Explorer

7,850 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
"Human cloning would be immoral" is an incredibly vague statement.
Cloning means only one thing, reproducing an exact copy.
Identical twins are exact genetic copies of each other, although produced naturally.

So does the problem lie in the artificial way in which a human clone would be conceived?
Not necessarily, we already practise these means regularly, many people receive IVF treatment to conceive, they use donated sperm and people freeze their eggs for fertilisation at a later date. These procedures are no more invasive than the ones that would be used in human cloning, It's not as if the clone would be conceived in a test tube, they'd still need a human womb to grow in, a surrogate (or biological) mother.

I don't believe we're anywhere near competent enough with genetic manipulation to successfully clone a human however, the resulting child may turn out deformed, or with serious health problems. That aspect I can definitely regard as immoral.
But when the time comes that we can confidently clone a human, I don't see any qualms with morality at all.
They may have identical DNA to their "parent" but they'd still be their own being, with their own unique thoughts and personality, their own beliefs, and their own life to experience. They wouldn't be able to steal your identity, they'd be several years younger than you for one thing, you'd be more at risk of someone who wasn't related to you at all but looked a bit similar doing that.
The only problem with lie in extreme case that whoever was responsible for conceiving the clone decided the clone was their 'property', or that it should be given the same rights as everyone else, which would be an ethical issue all on it's own regardless of the manipulation of their genes.
There is nothing immoral about human cloning, and the people who believe there is are usually religious to the point where they brains have fallen out. They believe in souls and fairy tale junk like that and probably think that if you clone a human being, then you're violating God's role as the dude who plugs souls into new babies.

It's nonsense. Human cloning is as immoral as my Ed Hardy shoes.

Shameless Explorer

8,050 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
Human cloning immoral? Hah, not even close. Religion is nothing but superstitions created to explain things people didn't understand in ages past.

Sure there are potential dangers to the use of human cloning but the benefits outweigh the risks

Malevolent Receiver

6,000 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • PvP 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
Lunabuster
Human cloning immoral? Hah, not even close. Religion is nothing but superstitions created to explain things people didn't understand in ages past.

Sure there are potential dangers to the use of human cloning but the benefits outweigh the risks

because we all want to have to kill our clone doubles as a right of passage? razz

cloning is dangerous

I know I'd be pissed if I found out if I wasn't the orginal

and I'd try to set up a one of a kind meeting =p

though

Narcissists would be be extermly happy 3nodding
I wonder what what would happen if someone did actually produce a clone and shoved it into the lime light. The church would hate it for not have a soul, but its human life you cant kill it D: omg lets hate it instead. We'd also find out whats speculation and whats fact.

2,900 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Person of Interest 200
DXnobody
I wonder what what would happen if someone did actually produce a clone and shoved it into the lime light. The church would hate it for not have a soul, but its human life you cant kill it D: omg lets hate it instead.

Well, we women have souls and look at how that one turned out. xp Even J.C was pushing us around.
"Woman, get me some water from the well"
Of course, she did it. That's how women are ( "according to the word of God" ) : over-emotional, weak-minded, submissive instigators made from dirt or bone matter. Don't throw a cloth over me; I'm not a f**king dinner table. talk2hand
But hey, with clones we'd have an entirely new "race" to hate on. We can even have Clone Day on the 22nd of April (for no apparent reason). Half price off photocopies! Awesome! blaugh
There is so much good that can come from various levels of cloning. I don't see the need for cloning humans...why do something like that just for s**ts and giggles? The greater application is for new organs and stem cells...Just imagine all that could be cured!

Mega Genius

wolfves tears
If you have that technology then why not try it out? :/

In my opinion, god gave us technology and intelligence for a reason. We should be able to use it to the best of our ability.

never thought of that before. hunh...
Cosmic Starflake
wolfves tears

In my opinion, god gave us technology and intelligence for a reason. We should be able to use it to the best of our ability.

Exactly wolves tears and cosmic! Eureka!!!!!

One of my peeves has always been how extremist in the "religious" status quo treat science as the boogey man....where do they think they fountain of all knowledge exist? I am a huge science enthusiast. I firmly believe that science and faith can COEXIST. and actually both would be enriched and the better for it if the extremist from both sides softened and realized this. Now woo-hoo!! Let's see those scientific researchers get out there and cure some diseases with cloning!
RelentlessGrasshopper
Cosmic Starflake
wolfves tears

One of my peeves has always been how extremist in the "religious" status quo treat science as the boogey man....where do they think they fountain of all knowledge exist? I am a huge science enthusiast. I firmly believe that science and faith can COEXIST. and actually both would be enriched and the better for it if the extremist from both sides softened and realized this. Now woo-hoo!! Let's see those scientific researchers get out there and cure some diseases with cloning!

Of course they can co-exist, why would we need religion if there wasn't science for it to hate :S

The previous idea sounds a bit like "cause we can" attitude D:, which doesn;t apply well to world domination situations. For example
why did you start a nuclear holocaust? "cause i can"
But the point is still relevent if its safe and we can do it, why not.
DXnobody
RelentlessGrasshopper
Cosmic Starflake
wolfves tears

Of course they can co-exist, why would we need religion if there wasn't science for it to hate :S

The previous idea sounds a bit like "cause we can" attitude D:, which doesn;t apply well to world domination situations. For example
why did you start a nuclear holocaust? "cause i can"
But the point is still relevent if its safe and we can do it, why not.

Man, I really did not intend to come off as, "Yeah! Cause we can!! <rasberry>" My sincerest apologies if I did sound like that.

Doing something just because it can be done is unethical...mad scientist stuff. Just like the nuclear holocaust....

I just percieve all the good that can come out of it...to much suffering in this world.
i would like to have a clone so that we could work to gether to do duble the tasks but the clone will all ways be yunger and me wich would be a problem. but i have fantasys to live forever. but thats not going to happen. though i agree with cloning and evelution. i say try. User ImageUser Image
The way I see it, there's really no need to ever clone a whole new individual. Why wold you? It's a tremendous investment of resources and at the end, all you get is a perfectly normal individual. Cloning's real application lies in growing replacement organs for transplants and grafts. People are always too happy to simply ignore the medical aspect in favour of 'OMG DERE GONG 2 CLON AL DA PPLZ AND DE'LL HAV NO SOULZ AND WELL ALL DIE.'

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff