Welcome to Gaia! ::

I'm so short! It doesn't bother me much, and I don't think about it unless I'm standing next to taller people: which is everyone.

I'm just curious whether I'll grow anymore, which I highly doubt.

I'm 15, and around 5'0. Most likely 4'11.

I'm Asian. There's probably something about that and my height?

I don't think I've had a growth spurt because I've been around this height for awhile.

Uhh so yeah. Anything would be great. Thanks!
The greatest influence is from your parents. If you have two short parents, you're more likely to be short yourself.

Most girls stop growing in the 15-17 range, so you might already be slowing down, or you might still have a little bit of growth left. Being at your height for a while may indicate the former.
Mooby the Golden Sock
The greatest influence is from your parents diet.

Or

Mooby the Golden Sock
The greatest influence indicatior is from your parents.
CH1YO
Mooby the Golden Sock

Or

Mooby the Golden Sock

Um... no.

the greatest influence being the height of the child's parents.

A person's height is determined primarily by genetic factors

We do know that genetic factors are of the greatest importance and influence the final adult height the most.

I mean what I say, and I say what I mean.
Mooby the Golden Sock
CH1YO
Mooby the Golden Sock

Or

Mooby the Golden Sock

Um... no.

the greatest influence being the height of the child's parents.

A person's height is determined primarily by genetic factors

We do know that genetic factors are of the greatest importance and influence the final adult height the most.

I mean what I say, and I say what I mean.

Your first source hits on this even but you're considering height as a predisposition rather than a measurement. That's just wrong.

The greatest indicator of fully grown height is a child's parents. It is quite simple to look at parents and produce a reasonably accurate estimate of the height a child will grow to, assuming dietary requirements are properly met.
Woah guys, I appreciate the help but this is awkward.
You're both right: I'm not gonna grow lol.
- short mom (I don't know my real dad but I'm pretty sure he wasn't tall)
- poor diet (I used to not eat lunch or breakfast around 4th - 8th grade and for dinner I'd just eat like a crazy person, I'm only really starting to eat regularly now)

Thanks!
CH1YO
Your first source hits on this even but you're considering height as a predisposition rather than a measurement. That's just wrong.

The sources quoted clearly use the word "influence."

An indicator is a marker. Indicators do not cause something to happen. They are the result of something.

For instance, doctors often check the blood for increased cardiac markers when they suspect heart injury. Raising cardiac markers does not increase heart injury; rather, heart injury causes a raise in cardiac markers. Thus, elevated cardiac markers are an indicator of heart injury.

Influences change how something happens. Influences are not a result of the change; rather, the change at least partially results from the influence.

For instance, doctors may give blood to reverse a low hemoglobin. They can predict that 1 unit of blood will increase the hemoglobin by about 1 point. A raise in hemoglobin does not cause blood to be given; rather, giving blood causes a raise in hemoglobin. Thus, a blood transfusion is an influence of hemoglobin, not an indicator.

A tall child does not cause a tall parent. Rather, a tall parent causes a tall child. So a parent's height influences a child's height, while a child's height indicates a parent's height.

Fanatical Zealot

Growth hormone, although this can be 10,000 a year, and make sure to exercise and eat properly to get the best effects from it.

At most you'll grow 3 inches, on average 1.5.

Some people claim that hanging themselves up on a chin-up bar, like by doing chin-ups, to lengthen their spinal cords help- in low G you do expand a little, and during sleep you get taller due to the lessened G forces.

That being said, don't go crazy, it's less pressure off your back that makes you taller. I.E. stretching will not work to make you taller, you might damage yourself.

Other methods include bone lengtheners which they sometimes use on midgets.

Best thing to do is to wear boots or lift shoes.

I once knew a guy who was shorter than me up until my sophomore year.

Half way through that year he grew 6 inches and by senior year he went from 5'6 to 6'4.

So it may not matter.

He looked average, but still babyish- he then went through a growth spurt.

So you may be a late bloomer.

As far as Asians go, Asians in other countries are generally short due to a bad diet and malnutrition and whatnot (like in China, with those Chinese slave babies and repressed farmers), less due to genetics- take a typical Asian kid here and they'll generally be average height for that society if fed properly.
Mooby the Golden Sock
CH1YO

The sources quoted clearly use the word "influence."

An indicator is a marker. Indicators do not cause something to happen. They are the result of something.

For instance, doctors often check the blood for increased cardiac markers when they suspect heart injury. Raising cardiac markers does not increase heart injury; rather, heart injury causes a raise in cardiac markers. Thus, elevated cardiac markers are an indicator of heart injury.

Influences change how something happens. Influences are not a result of the change; rather, the change at least partially results from the influence.

For instance, doctors may give blood to reverse a low hemoglobin. They can predict that 1 unit of blood will increase the hemoglobin by about 1 point. A raise in hemoglobin does not cause blood to be given; rather, giving blood causes a raise in hemoglobin. Thus, a blood transfusion is an influence of hemoglobin, not an indicator.

A tall child does not cause a tall parent. Rather, a tall parent causes a tall child. So a parent's height influences a child's height, while a child's height indicates a parent's height.

You have identified how the sources have misused the word influence. Parents are a massive influence upon shortness but less so tallness; no parent causes growth - growth occurs regardless of parentage assuming that important prerequisites such as nutrition are met.
CH1YO
You have identified how the sources have misused the word influence. Parents are a massive influence upon shortness but less so tallness; no parent causes growth - growth occurs regardless of parentage assuming that important prerequisites such as nutrition are met.

What nonsense are you talking?

Adult height is basically determined by genetics, with stuff like nutrition and broken legs playing smaller roles.
Mooby the Golden Sock
CH1YO

What nonsense are you talking?

Adult height is basically determined by genetics, with stuff like nutrition and broken legs playing smaller roles.

Growth does not requite things like eating?
CH1YO

It also requires things like breathing. That doesn't make oxygen the biggest influence on adult height.

Human height is 60-80% genetics. Broadly speaking, an individual's height equates to Genetics + Nutrition - Stressors, with Genetics being the biggest factor.

I've noticed your stunning lack of citation, and I've already provided a few external sources.

Distinct Browser

13,025 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Mooby the Golden Sock
CH1YO

It also requires things like breathing. That doesn't make oxygen the biggest influence on adult height.

Human height is 60-80% genetics. Broadly speaking, an individual's height equates to Genetics + Nutrition - Stressors, with Genetics being the biggest factor.

I've noticed your stunning lack of citation, and I've already provided a few external sources.

You've just been CH1YO'd. Doesn't it feel great?

You can't win this.
Mooby the Golden Sock
CH1YO

Oxygen is a negligible influence, simply because roughly 20% of the Earth's atmosphere represents a free source of the gas; if oxygen deprivation were a significant thing - such as is mineral or energy deprivation - then it would be an influence rather than a constant. A person can live indefinitely on a subsistence diet but suffocation is generally associated with death.

Human height is entirely bio-matter, DNA may be very long and be the building blocks of life but height is mainly a hard tissue called bone.

I've already told you why your sources are wrong, I don't appreciate having to do that so I won't inflict the same burden upon you.
Here's another source for you.

Nutrition is an influence, but genetics is a much bigger influence. Nutrition's influence relates more to weight than to height. It also relates more to bone density than bone length.

Still waiting for your sources.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces