Welcome to Gaia! ::

It's probably just diet.
gigacannon
What the ******** are you talking about? Everyone in the world wants straight teeth. Here, crooked teeth are so common, it's free for all teenagers.

There are plenty of vain Americans, but there are also plenty of obese and ******** ugly Americans. The USA is nothing special.

If you want to see a vain country, go to France.
They don't shave their legs. gonk
Hey, I wonder if it has anything to do with tea? Or fish?

Aged Pants

9,100 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Zoch

The diet can stain the teeth, but that has nothing to do with crooked teeth.
Just hygeine habits. And to the person about the French having long legs. Nope! I'm of French descent and I have rather short legs. In fact, every about me is short except my hair.
My French girlfriend shaves her legs and her English mother doesn't. My tea habit stained my teeth slightly, but unless I had had braces I would have very crooked teeth indeed.
A Lost Iguana
Zoch

The diet can stain the teeth, but that has nothing to do with crooked teeth.
Perhaps it was the manner in which they ate. I'm sure if you eat meat by pulling at it with your teeth instead of cutting it off, your teeth will start to come out of place.

I really don't know, I'm just throwing ideas out there.
Yeah, I think it's time to drop this now. If you don't know what you're talking about then don't say anything. If you're saying English people don't have proper oral hygeine and we eat meat like animals, you're saying that to ME. And you're making it all up, which is pointless.

If you haven't got anything constructive or clever to say, clam it.
It might just be an outdated stereotype, or it might still be environmental or it might be a media stereotype. The stereotype isn't just crooked teeth but teeth that are generally bad, yellow, bad breath, etc.

I like the idea of us eating meat like animals better than I like the idea of being genetically predisposed to it, to be honest. Although I've never seen anyone tear at meat like that.

Aged Pants

9,100 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
I'm going with bad stereotypes and poor parental attitude: parents who think that their child's crooked teeth do not need treatment and, thus, don't take them to the dentist when they should.

Also, the colour of the teeth may be down to tea drinking, but it should be noted that the natural colour of teeth can vary from white to ivory—off-white teeth are not a sign of poor dentistry or oral hygiene.
gigacannon
Yeah, I think it's time to drop this now. If you don't know what you're talking about then don't say anything. If you're saying English people don't have proper oral hygeine and we eat meat like animals, you're saying that to ME.
I'm not saying NOW, I'm saying in the past.

Aged Pants

9,100 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Zoch
gigacannon
Yeah, I think it's time to drop this now. If you don't know what you're talking about then don't say anything. If you're saying English people don't have proper oral hygeine and we eat meat like animals, you're saying that to ME.
I'm not saying NOW, I'm saying in the past.

Long live Lamarck!
maybe it has to do with famines in history or poor diet so the teeth have grown weaker or more succeptible to decay.
hysteric
maybe it has to do with famines in history or poor diet so the teeth have grown weaker or more succeptible to decay.

But that's Lamarckism again - the idea that non-genetic factors can play a role in heredity, which they can't.

Giraffes don't have long necks because their ancestors stretched really hard to reach the tallest trees; they have long necks because their ancestors who happened to have slightly longer necks were more successful, and passed on the trait of "slightly longer neck" to their offspring. Over time, this trait is selected for, until you get giraffes with crazy long necks like we have today.

Poor diet or disease or bad hygeine in the past cannot account for the supposed poor teeth of the British! I personally don't know much about the subject, as I've never been to Europe, but I've been told by friends that it's really just an untrue stereotype.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff