Welcome to Gaia! ::

did u kno the sun's one oh the smallest stars? it's just closer to the earth than others 3nodding
...you don't say...
I'm feeling merciful, so yes. 3nodding

The Sun is a star. Its proper name is Sol, hence refering to our planetary system as the SOLar system. There are many other stars out there that have their own planetary systems as well. The nearest one to us is Alpha Centauri; any planets in orbit around Alpha Centauri would then make up the centauri system.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
_-_LP_-_Shippo_-_LP_-_
did u kno the sun's one oh the smallest stars? it's just closer to the earth than others 3nodding

A main sequence, middle-aged, class G star to be specific. Nothing special here, move along.
if your not under the sixth grade, i am gonna have to shoot... somthing.
The sun is not a small star, it is a medium class g star, main sequence and middle aged. it is about 75%hydrogen, about 25%helium, and less then 1% other heavier materials, at the end of its life span, the sun will most likley turn into a brown or black dwarf, or under exrtaordnary cirmstances, it will become a white dwarf. The sun's proper name is sol. and it is the closest star to the earth.
Peddy
I'm feeling merciful, so yes. 3nodding

The Sun is a star. Its proper name is Sol, hence refering to our planetary system as the SOLar system. There are many other stars out there that have their own planetary systems as well. The nearest one to us is Alpha Centauri; any planets in orbit around Alpha Centauri would then make up the centauri system.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Actually, the name Sol is not where solar system came from. Actually, both words just share the same root.
Quote:
if your not under the sixth grade, i am gonna have to shoot... somthing.
The sun is not a small star, it is a medium class g star, main sequence and middle aged. it is about 75%hydrogen, about 25%helium, and less then 1% other heavier materials, at the end of its life span, the sun will most likley turn into a brown or black dwarf, or under exrtaordnary cirmstances, it will become a white dwarf. The sun's proper name is sol. and it is the closest star to the earth.
Quote:

stare i'm in grade 7, and my science teacher told me th@. yes some ppl kno th@, buuuuuuut, some ppl DON'T! so don't bother me... scream
and plus, i said "one of the smallest stars" not "the smallest star" stare
Grammar, dear, makes the world go round 3nodding But yes, I did know that. Though when it goes supernova, it will still destroy us, none the less (Go figure)
_-_LP_-_Shippo_-_LP_-_
and plus, i said "one of the smallest stars" not "the smallest star" stare
That's still wrong. Sol is a G2 star which means it's toward the middle. Given that around 70% of the stars in the universe are red dwarfs, Sol is actually one of the larger stars in the universe. A diagram of different stellar masses: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:H-R_diagram.png
Maybe it would be better to say that it's just plain average.
What's the upper limit on the size of a star? I wonder if massive objects like quasars can be considered stars.
Supergiants are the upper end, at the moment.

Quasars are actually comparably small in size, but rather dense.
Two more interesting facts:
1) the Jupiter is so massive in comparission, with Sun, so the barycenter of the pair is outside the Sun.
2) Jupiter's mass is not far from making it a 'brown dwarf', the planet is already emitting on it's own.
(based on Wiki)
did u kno Gary Coleman one oh the smallest stars? He's just closer to the earth than others 3nodding

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff