Welcome to Gaia! ::

we have to give a 10 minute talk about an element (and of course, i picked a semi-obscure one...) but we can only talk about chemistry - so history and uses arent really allowed, unless we're talking about chemistry...guh.

Anyway. i picked Yttrium. and i'm finding all kinds of formulas but i'm terrible at balancing them properly, and also my professor wants the phases. (solid, liquid, aqueous, gas, etc.) and i cant find the formulas with them already written in, and i'm not sure how to do it myself. ._. is there anyone who can help me out?

ex:
i was talking about the discovery (briefly) and mentioned that Yttrium (III) chloride was heated with potassium to isolate the metal.

So i have the formula YCl3 + 3K -> 3KCl + Y

my professor just made a note on my outline i need the phases. guh.

a little further along i mentioned you could separate Yttrium by dissolving the oxide in sulfuric acid and she wants me to come up with the reaction for that too. ._.

my main lecture professor has been sick the past couple weeks, so i feel like i'm falling behind a little bit because i'm not understanding things as well as i have been up until this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated :3

Quotable Genius

6,050 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Signature Look 250
TaraTakara
we have to give a 10 minute talk about an element (and of course, i picked a semi-obscure one...) but we can only talk about chemistry - so history and uses arent really allowed, unless we're talking about chemistry...guh.

Anyway. i picked Yttrium. and i'm finding all kinds of formulas but i'm terrible at balancing them properly, and also my professor wants the phases. (solid, liquid, aqueous, gas, etc.) and i cant find the formulas with them already written in, and i'm not sure how to do it myself. ._. is there anyone who can help me out?

ex:
i was talking about the discovery (briefly) and mentioned that Yttrium (III) chloride was heated with potassium to isolate the metal.

a little further along i mentioned you could separate Yttrium by dissolving the oxide in sulfuric acid and she wants me to come up with the reaction for that too. ._.

my main lecture professor has been sick the past couple weeks, so i feel like i'm falling behind a little bit because i'm not understanding things as well as i have been up until this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated :3

I'll give you a hint; look up "stoichiometry" in your textbook.
Well, if you're talking about Yttrium (III) oxide, then the reaction for that with sulfuric acid is as follows:
Y2O3 + 3H2SO4 --> Y2(SO4)3 + 3H2O

However, I hope you don't mean they use this process to get the pure metal, as that's not true.
This is only one step in a series of processes to get yttrium ore alone. After this, it's further reacted to obtain yttrium oxalate, then heated to produce Yttrium oxide again. (Yes I know we went in a circle, but before, it was impure) Finally, it's reacted with hydrogen fluoride to get yttrium fluoride which is reacted with calcium magnesium alloy in an arc furnace at 1600C. The heat is sufficient to melt the yttrium, and the pure metal comes out.
TaraTakara

ex:

Best way is too look up each compound individually. KCl at room tempurature is solid so you put it as KCL(s). You have to look up each at room tempurature-to get its state, Cl, K and KCL as grouped in the equation .Its too hard to know what compounds are solid or gases, but easier if you know what elements are metals are mostly if not all solid, and non metals are liquid or gas at room temp ...google it.
When you balance the equation write all the elements from each side seperate even if they are in compounds it may help.

you start off with:
Cl= 3 Cl=3
K=3 K=3
Y=1 Y=1

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items