Welcome to Gaia! ::

Apocke
Lexx Le Lain
Apocke
I suppose the most optimistic thing - granted that moving our population would result in failure - would be the continuation of the species, hopefully having established colonies at the time.
I don't doubt that the human race could survive a lot of epic catastrophes, but such catastrophes would decimate our population. We value life, and we don't want another black plague. type event. Having the goal being survival of the species isn't exactly admirable.

We should be striving to prevent climate change now, so humanity doesn't have to just survive in the future, but can flourish.
I suppose the first thing we can do is completely halt an action which contributes most to the deterioration of the environment. Even if it means that a whole corporation, business, country, or government fails due to a halt of that action.
Replacing one bad thing with another bad thing is a bad idea. I believe I posted it in this thread, but somewhere I said that it coal, oil, and natural gas should be phased out over the next few decades.

The problem is, year over year we've increased our CO2 production, rather than decrease it... if we keep going that way, then 10 generations from now the world is going to be pretty screwy.

Magical Prophet

Lexx Le Lain
Apocke
Lexx Le Lain
Apocke
I suppose the most optimistic thing - granted that moving our population would result in failure - would be the continuation of the species, hopefully having established colonies at the time.
I don't doubt that the human race could survive a lot of epic catastrophes, but such catastrophes would decimate our population. We value life, and we don't want another black plague. type event. Having the goal being survival of the species isn't exactly admirable.

We should be striving to prevent climate change now, so humanity doesn't have to just survive in the future, but can flourish.
I suppose the first thing we can do is completely halt an action which contributes most to the deterioration of the environment. Even if it means that a whole corporation, business, country, or government fails due to a halt of that action.
Replacing one bad thing with another bad thing is a bad idea. I believe I posted it in this thread, but somewhere I said that it coal, oil, and natural gas should be phased out over the next few decades.

The problem is, year over year we've increased our CO2 production, rather than decrease it... if we keep going that way, then 10 generations from now the world is going to be pretty screwy.

Just imagine people having health problems. People with access to medicine will probably live healthy lives. People in countries without medicine, undeveloped countries would suffer greatly.
Apocke
Lexx Le Lain
Apocke
Lexx Le Lain
Apocke

Just imagine people having health problems. People with access to medicine will probably live healthy lives. People in countries without medicine, undeveloped countries would suffer greatly.
uh huh, so how's that related to climate change?

Magical Prophet

Lexx Le Lain
Apocke
Lexx Le Lain
Apocke
Lexx Le Lain
Apocke

uh huh, so how's that related to climate change?

If we continue our current degradation of the environment, there will be a period of time where the conditions are tolerable. Few people may die. It's a bit colder each year. (Or a bit hotter.) I imagine a mid-way point of this. The conditions are still livable, but many without proper care will die. Also, adding human products to the mix would most surely add to the danger.
Apocke
If we continue our current degradation of the environment, there will be a period of time where the conditions are tolerable. Few people may die. It's a bit colder each year. (Or a bit hotter.) I imagine a mid-way point of this. The conditions are still livable, but many without proper care will die. Also, adding human products to the mix would most surely add to the danger.
Ok, that's a given, what's the point you're trying to make though?

Magical Prophet

Lexx Le Lain
Apocke

That those 'tolerable' periods of time are our last chance for action. Also, having people in public offices who know how to properly address climate change during those times would be good. I'd hate to see us all freeze or melt because of some politician who decided it would be better to crack open a bible instead of consulting climatologists, geologists, and other scientists in associated fields.
Apocke
Lexx Le Lain
Apocke

That those 'tolerable' periods of time are our last chance for action. Also, having people in public offices who know how to properly address climate change during those times would be good. I'd hate to see us all freeze or melt because of some politician who decided it would be better to crack open a bible instead of consulting climatologists, geologists, and other scientists in associated fields.
Those tolerable periods might be too late to act though. It's like if you set up a really long row of dominoes and you're running along side them and able to keep up at first, but then the dominos start accelerating, and eventually you can't keep up... Once this happens you can't stop them.

This is what's going on with the CO2 in the environment. Currently we don't have an efficient means by which to extract CO2 (certainly not 30B metric tons / year worth) nor do we have somewhere to put it. We have trees and plant life which right now are our saving grace, they're still numerous enough to keep it from going crazy super fast.

Some scientist are arguing that it's probably already too late. It'll certainly eventually be too late, and that will come before it gets really bad. So if we wait until things are pretty bad to try and fix them, we're already doomed.

Magical Prophet

Lexx Le Lain
Apocke
Lexx Le Lain
Apocke

Those tolerable periods might be too late to act though. It's like if you set up a really long row of dominoes and you're running along side them and able to keep up at first, but then the dominos start accelerating, and eventually you can't keep up... Once this happens you can't stop them.

This is what's going on with the CO2 in the environment. Currently we don't have an efficient means by which to extract CO2 (certainly not 30B metric tons / year worth) nor do we have somewhere to put it. We have trees and plant life which right now are our saving grace, they're still numerous enough to keep it from going crazy super fast.

Some scientist are arguing that it's probably already too late. It'll certainly eventually be too late, and that will come before it gets really bad. So if we wait until things are pretty bad to try and fix them, we're already doomed.

Oh, procrastination. Time for a new 'Age Of Reason' to take effect. If the masses were to simply understand our predicament, they'd do something. Most clutch beliefs that tell them that the planet is 'immortal' in a sense.
Apocke
Oh, procrastination. Time for a new 'Age Of Reason' to take effect. If the masses were to simply understand our predicament, they'd do something. Most clutch beliefs that tell them that the planet is 'immortal' in a sense.
Well, the planet will survive just fine, it has for a long time and will continue to do so for a long time. The people, plants, and animals on the planet won't be so lucky, but life could still find a way...

We don't need a new age of reason, we just need people to be more educated, and start to think for themselves. There are plenty of people already doing this. The real problem is that some with power seem to have no care for the future, or are content to have their name remembered as a villain.

Magical Prophet

Lexx Le Lain
Apocke
Well, the planet will survive just fine, it has for a long time and will continue to do so for a long time. The people, plants, and animals on the planet won't be so lucky, but life could still find a way...

We don't need a new age of reason, we just need people to be more educated, and start to think for themselves. There are plenty of people already doing this. The real problem is that some with power seem to have no care for the future, or are content to have their name remembered as a villain.

Gah, villains. I wish they were like the villains of the comics, who had a purpose, a motive, something behind their actions.
Apocke
Lexx Le Lain
Apocke

Gah, villains. I wish they were like the villains of the comics, who had a purpose, a motive, something behind their actions.
They do, they want money and power just like every villain (except the ones that want revenge).

Magical Prophet

Lexx Le Lain
Apocke
Lexx Le Lain
Apocke

They do, they want money and power just like every villain (except the ones that want revenge).

I was thinking of that villain who wanted to further humanity. Like Adolf Hitler, who wanted a pure Aryan race. What he wanted, was for humanity to take a step forward.

Also, Jack Gaime did some vengeful stuff. He hated all humans, even himself. He was a 'desk-villain' who controlled an alien race through many means. He would eventually open a door he could not close, by enlisting the help of a race of reptilians that might take over the sector.
Apocke
I was thinking of that villain who wanted to further humanity. Like Adolf Hitler, who wanted a pure Aryan race. What he wanted, was for humanity to take a step forward.

Also, Jack Gaime did some vengeful stuff. He hated all humans, even himself. He was a 'desk-villain' who controlled an alien race through many means. He would eventually open a door he could not close, by enlisting the help of a race of reptilians that might take over the sector.
Well in the case of Hitler, part of what he wanted could be seen as admirable, but in his vision of the pure Aryan future, who was in charge? He was... So ultimately it came to power. He'd have been the leader that "fixed the world", the greatest ever.

His approach to "a perfect world" was also pure evil, and we all know it. You can't wipe out all but one race of people, rewrite history, and have a happy world. It will never succeed.
Lexx Le Lain

His approach to "a perfect world" was also pure evil, and we all know it. You can't wipe out all but one race of people, rewrite history, and have a happy world. It will never succeed.

Columbus!
Vannak
Lexx Le Lain

Columbus!
Hm, good point.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas