Welcome to Gaia! ::

Beloved Receiver

3,350 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Contributor 150
Maiden of Monstrosities
Whenever I think of AI, I always get reminded of films like I, Robot, or similar ones where the computers decide that the human species is dangerous and needs eradicating.

The computer network Skynet from the Terminator movies is probably the biggest AI villain so far, isn't it?! But I doubt that it will turn out like that in real life. AI will help us in many ways.

Dedicated Seeker

9,950 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Member 100
fondlemon
Maiden of Monstrosities
Whenever I think of AI, I always get reminded of films like I, Robot, or similar ones where the computers decide that the human species is dangerous and needs eradicating.

The computer network Skynet from the Terminator movies is probably the biggest AI villain so far, isn't it?! But I doubt that it will turn out like that in real life. AI will help us in many ways.

I think so, yes.
It may help us but, mistakes may happen. Humans aren't infallible after all, and all it takes is someone not covering one tiny loophole for a machine to be granted a way to think for itself over us. So while it may not happen, it's still plausible.

Mind-boggling Bauble

So, puns aside, artificial intelligence largely depends on what you define as intelligent behavior.
For example, if you could map out the exact workings of the visual cortex, which is, by and large, a pattern recognition machine (it even works like a machine and tends to ignore bits it doesn't recognize), then a machine capable of visual perception wouldn't be particularly intelligent. It would mimic another machine. However, as far as modern theoreticians go, visual perception is seen as a possible proof of a true artificial intelligence.

As for my own expectation, an artificial intelligence would need to be able to form complex decisions based on inferred data.
For example, when presented with an incomplete set of data, such as the coordinates of a soccer goal, the artificial intelligence should be able to work out the most likely position, extrapolate the both fastest and safest path and then shoot the ball out of its own volition.

I hope whoever develops a true artificial intelligence implements the three laws of robotics better than Hollywood has done for the sake of entertainment.
I believe that artificial intelligence does exist! Of course it does. I also believe that all the technology that is out today was already created years ago.
I believe the worst possible scenario we could create in AI is a replica of Spock and Vulcan logic. In essence, the key to making a good AI is replicating an emotional, sentient being that is also not neurotic. If we make an empty shell, no matter how intelligent it is, we will only bring ourselves misery.

Geared Spirit

We don't yet understand ourselves enough to be able to tell a machine how to 'calculate' us. Machine intelligence requires very specific and unchanging parameters in order to function, in order to supply those parameters we have to quantify all the aspects of our consciousness.
Lanackse-Kanvae
I'm saying to pay attention to what has gone before so you can build on it and not repeat the mistakes others have made in the past. I forgot how bad humans were at this.
Khurse
So, puns aside, artificial intelligence largely depends on what you define as intelligent behavior.
For example, if you could map out the exact workings of the visual cortex, which is, by and large, a pattern recognition machine (it even works like a machine and tends to ignore bits it doesn't recognize), then a machine capable of visual perception wouldn't be particularly intelligent. It would mimic another machine. However, as far as modern theoreticians go, visual perception is seen as a possible proof of a true artificial intelligence.

As for my own expectation, an artificial intelligence would need to be able to form complex decisions based on inferred data.
For example, when presented with an incomplete set of data, such as the coordinates of a soccer goal, the artificial intelligence should be able to work out the most likely position, extrapolate the both fastest and safest path and then shoot the ball out of its own volition.

A human can generally estimate but I think without the cerebellum they won't be able to precisely perform the action. So I'd say a general estimate should suffice for considering it intelligent as humans without cerebellums are considered generally intelligent.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff