Welcome to Gaia! ::

Which should I take over the summer

AP Chemistry 0.46666666666667 46.7% [ 7 ]
Physics 0.26666666666667 26.7% [ 4 ]
AP Physics 0.26666666666667 26.7% [ 4 ]
Total Votes:[ 15 ]

I'm going to take one of those classes this summer before Senior Year starts. I took Biology Freshmen year, Chemistry sophomore year, this year I'm in IB HL Bio and I'm also taking that senior year (it's a 2 year course). I really liked chemistry last year and I'd like to get deeper into that subject, however most colleges require physics in high school.
Should I take AP chemistry or should I take physics this summer?
Is an AP class extremely hard to do in the summer?
Are you better at memorization or mathematics?
Vannak

math, if it's interesting than memorization. I find chemistry very interesting, but I have yet to learn physics so I'm not sure what to expect
Jigglypufff_Kun
Vannak

math, if it's interesting than memorization. I find chemistry very interesting, but I have yet to learn physics so I'm not sure what to expect
Intro physics generally talks about projectile motion, circular motion, and basic gravity and electrostastics. If you can easily manipulate fractions with multiple variable terms, you're pretty much all set for non calculus AP physics. You'll perhaps have to memorize a dozen equations or so (however you'll have to substitute many of them into each other and such).

For chemistry, you'll have to memorize about 20 ion charges, and the naming convention is something I can't stand very much. The mathematics is generally much simpler.
Vannak
Jigglypufff_Kun
Vannak

Intro physics generally talks about projectile motion, circular motion, and basic gravity and electrostastics. If you can easily manipulate fractions with multiple variable terms, you're pretty much all set for non calculus AP physics. You'll perhaps have to memorize a dozen equations or so (however you'll have to substitute many of them into each other and such).

For chemistry, you'll have to memorize about 20 ion charges, and the naming convention is something I can't stand very much. The mathematics is generally much simpler.

I see... thank's for the class content info! I've decided that I'll try out physics. I can always explore deeper into chemistry in college
Its worth doing some physics to tie in all the basics together so you have a solid foundation.

Original Fairy

15,425 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Overstocked 200
  • Partygoer 500
Sounds good. As a person in graduate school who just went through college you will most likely have to take a gen ed in a science even if you are a science major. So you could catch your chem then. Though I warn you, AP is nothing like college. At least that is the way it was at my small liberal arts school. The classes were structured differently.

5,550 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Dabbler 200
AP Chemistry isn't all about memorizing charges. More over I did that in Grade 11. And my AP chemistry teacher (who was also my grade 11 chemistry teacher) assumed these charges were already learnt. Plus their fairly easy if you know your elements.

AP Chemistry is more application and your ability to link many concepts to solve a single given problem. there's quite some math and quite a few equations. Also AP chemistry curriculum doesn't even touch Organic chemistry. There's only one organic chemistry question on the exam. You might want to consider that if you are going to take Organic chemistry in your post-high school studies.

Witty Phantom

7,350 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Over the summer? I suggest regular physics unless you are HIGHLY self motivated.
I say chemistry. But realistically, none of these classes will matter in the long run....

O.G. Player

11,175 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Invisibility 100
Jigglypufff_Kun
I'm going to take one of those classes this summer before Senior Year starts. I took Biology Freshmen year, Chemistry sophomore year, this year I'm in IB HL Bio and I'm also taking that senior year (it's a 2 year course). I really liked chemistry last year and I'd like to get deeper into that subject, however most colleges require physics in high school.
Should I take AP chemistry or should I take physics this summer?
Is an AP class extremely hard to do in the summer?

AP Chemistry isn't very hard from what I've heard from my friends. I'm taking physics now, it's really easy if you take your time with equations. I'm going to take AP physics next year. I don't know exactly how your school works, we only have to take X amount of science classes not specific types.

I'd go with whichever one makes you happier.

Shadowy Rogue

3,700 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Partygoer 500
Physics has many more practical applications for a variety of everyday subjects. I would choose that in a heartbeat.

Beloved Elder

An AP class in summer? Whether you choose chem or physics, you should expect them to work you hard. You will be living, breathing, and dreaming that class every day and night. You will also have a lot of fun.

Being a physicist at a university, of course I'm partial to AP physics. There's much less memorization, but a lot more derivation of complex relationships from first principles.

[BTW, we do not require incoming physics majors to take physics in high school, nor do we require calculus in high school. We would like a good science background (physics is good, but 3-4 years of *some* science), and we would really, really like absolute mastery of high school algebra and trigonometry. Everything else we can teach once they get here.]

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff