Welcome to Gaia! ::

Suicidesoldier#1

As I'll say again, why did you even respond?

Let alone break the thing into brackets? O_o

You basically had nothing to say.

In the end, by the time we create what's at the level of artificial life, to do weird things, these average toils will mean nothing.

Nanobots will basically be able to change a human into a giraffe if we felt like it, turn their cell walls into graphene, let alone allow for a hyper efficient metabolism. It's about what we do between now and then, like say, idk, switch over to solar panels or use gasoline or natural gas etc. that matters at the moment.

Everything you say is stupid.

I dumb it down just for you.
No, seriously, I've learned that you are probably not going to understand the point I make- like English isn't your first language or something, and that you'll make nonsensical objects just to make noise with your mouth (err, fingers.)

I'm not trying to be mean but this seems to be the kind of reputation you want on these forums.

Quote:
But on the off chance you'll actually understand what I'm trying to say!

The objective is to become more efficient. There are always losses but being able to recycle your own carbon dioxide could mean not having to breathe for days; we absorb a small amount of oxygen through our skin, so that could help as well. As far as energy goes ATP synthesis has a near 100% efficiency so uh, on a basal level, it's not really an issue. And, again, bacteria produce waste heat as a by product of inefficiency, which is why decaying matter such in a compost heap is often warm. Considering that a main function of the metabolism is to stay warm, what with lizards sun bathing and everything, any lack of transferring waste products back into themselves is compensated for. You still need outside energy, but it's potentially low enough to not have to even breathe for days etc. And considering that the sunlight and heat around us is basically free, we should be okay. You could create perpetual motion machine, but it wouldn't technically be moving, it would be a wormhole that like opened up on itself so you kept falling back through. xp

I get it. You want 100% efficiency, or if you understand thermodynamics at the most basic level then you're hoping for as close as you can get to 99.99% (btw, the efficiency of ATP formation is only like 40%- unless you think heating up the space around it counts as efficiency...) and I'm telling you, as a biologist, that the basic idea of merging us with some other species is a shitty way to get high efficiency- nature gets far better efficiency when there are lots of separate species that find a specific niche.
If you're just one entity you grow the fastest by being really wasteful. As a group you can find all these different little places to prosper while the entire group exploits far closer to the maximum possible energy.

Check out the black queen hypothesis if you want to be able to say anything useful about biological efficiency.

Versatile Shapeshifter

10,500 Points
  • Big Tipper 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Senpai's Notice 100
suicide soldier
thought of an idea u might like
I thought of it when thinking of pacifist, or effective, army strategies. If a person creates an object that is extremely loud and extremely bright, possibly mimicks the sound of a helicoptor or something. and its bulletproof bombproof and lasts 8 hours
couldnt that be used to fatigue an entire enemy camp and if done for a week they would literally start to go crazy, you wouldnt even need to be violent just obstructive. Or in a city those could be defense protocols. And the power for them is generated fromt he city so unless they cut of your pwoer supply you can screw up an army badly, idk there are flaws with the idea. But the first idea I thinkw as good.

Fanatical Zealot

We Are Organisms
suicide soldier
thought of an idea u might like
I thought of it when thinking of pacifist, or effective, army strategies. If a person creates an object that is extremely loud and extremely bright, possibly mimicks the sound of a helicoptor or something. and its bulletproof bombproof and lasts 8 hours
couldnt that be used to fatigue an entire enemy camp and if done for a week they would literally start to go crazy, you wouldnt even need to be violent just obstructive. Or in a city those could be defense protocols. And the power for them is generated fromt he city so unless they cut of your pwoer supply you can screw up an army badly, idk there are flaws with the idea. But the first idea I thinkw as good.

Um...

Well that can definitely do something! blaugh

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff